Author Topic: Squeaking Sound While Riding G5  (Read 3239 times)

aziai79

• Scooter
on: January 25, 2013, 04:20:50 am
Hi Everyone, have a G5 with almost 3k miles on it. Noticed lately while riding that there is a mild squeaking sound while riding...nothing that affects performance, more of an annoyance than anything. Sounds like something needs to be oiled or WD40'd, but not sure where or what to use. If I had to guess, would say it is something with brakes but not sure. Any advice?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:28:27 am
When does it squeak?  Acceleration, deceleration, braking, over bumps?  Any idea where it's coming from?

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:54:44 am
I have a G5 with the same issue. It started after I moved to Virgina and it got rained on a few times. Hard. It was covered, but still got soaked.

Most noticeable at low speed 5-10 mph front wheel squeak. Rate of squeak increases with speed and goes away/gets drowned out after 20 mph or so. Sounds like it is coming from the front wheel bearing or something.

Sound about right aziai79?

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:31:32 pm
I noticed something similar last week..... turned out to be to tank bolts were very very loose. tightened them up and the noise went away. blue loc-tite is our best friend.

check both of the bolts that hold your tank on, sounds weird but the noise I was hearing was very similar and thats all it was.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 02:44:47 pm
Might be the brake caliper. Happens on mine sometimes because of caliper touching the disc. To test this out, just put your bike on the center-stand and try to rotate the front wheel by hand/foot. If you hear any squeaks along with the front wheel sticking/taking more force than necessary, then you know for sure it's the brake.

If that's the case, take out the brake pads and clean them, along with the dust from that area around the pistons. Brake cleaner will be a good idea.

Just my opinion.  :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:47:16 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:10:08 pm
Before you do that, change things to see what changes or stops the noise such as: while your riding, push down on the tank or grip it with your knees. Apply the front and rear brake ever so slightly one at a time. Reach around and put your boot on the front fender, push in on the metal battery and toolbox covers etc. again, your looking to change or stop the noise to pinpoint where it might be.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

aziai79

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:36:21 am
Raderj: your description is pretty dead on. Noise is definitely coming from front of bike (tires/forks), and sounds like a softer version of squeaking I hear when front brake is applied (which has gotten louder over time). Guessing because of that it's the front brake...any quick fixes?

JVS: is taking brake pad out easy process?

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:48:50 am
aziai79,

Yes, it is an easy process. To make it more easy for yourself, just refer to this video singhg5 has posted and you are set.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4EL2-4EXHo
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:15:35 am
Should have known to check if Singhg5 had solved it ;D

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 11:30:57 pm
yes, mr. singhg5 is bodhisattva to raj gadi.
His instructional videos are the benchmark of what tutorials should be: concise, comprehensive and composed.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 01:04:34 am
yes, mr. singhg5 is bodhisattva to raj gadi.
His instructional videos are the benchmark of what tutorials should be: concise, comprehensive and composed.

+1

aziai79

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 01:07:06 pm
Followed steps from Singh's instructional video yesterday...my bike is now completely quiet when braking and squeaking is completely gone. Thanks to JVS and especially Singh...got rid of a really annoying problem.