Author Topic: Song of the Megaphone  (Read 3653 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: January 23, 2013, 02:58:45 pm
Put up a 2 minute video of riding this Summer.  Footage is from a chest mounted GoPro camera.  Captures the Megaphone's tone pretty well, although it really is quite loud in person.

Set the resolution to 720, crank the volume and pray for a short Winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-N10IyVOK8

Boggy

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 03:24:35 pm
That megaphone has a completely different sound compared to my Brit 50 style exhaust.  I could get use to that sound too...Good vid for a cold day..
Oh Magoo you done it again

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:17:14 pm
Put up a 2 minute video of riding this Summer.  Footage is from a chest mounted GoPro camera.  Captures the Megaphone's tone pretty well, although it really is quite loud in person.

Set the resolution to 720, crank the volume and pray for a short Winter.

Boggy

The GoPro is a very cool tool, but since I don't ride nearly as much as I used to I just could never pull the trigger. Your ride & video look good & remind me of some of our blue highways here in Rhode Island. Really nice video.

You relit the fire for me (I'll leave my granddaughters some videos) & I went & looked on eBay & I have a question for anybody who knows: How come I see the GoPro Hero 2 for anywhere from $34.99 (New & Free Shipping) all the way up through $100, $150, $200+ with all the little goodies in the box? They appear to all be the same. I'm gonna order the $34.99 one this afternoon unless somebody stops me. 

Do you use it as a still camera also?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:29:03 pm
Nice video, Boggy. Makes me miss my New England roots. Whereabouts were you riding?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:45:18 pm
Ah, com'on, Boggy! You're killin' me!
Now I've gotta get a new bike and be out there! The bike sounds great!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:41:12 pm
Thanks! Yeah it is a well behaved exhaust when you are running it.  However, you can get it to behave badly when you want someone to know you are near them.  It's volume, I believe, ads to my visibility when commuting.  Couple of "crack, cracks" is a hell of a lot louder than my horn.

I've been searching for some good loops right outside of Boston that I can get an hour or so ride from.  This road is in Winchester, Ma, which is a positively beautiful wooded town with a neat, industrial center complete with old mill buildings and willow trees along a winding river.  I'd live there if I could afford it.  There are roads like this all over New England once you get out of the cities.

The GoPro Hero 3 is out so the Hero 2 prices are down. The main difference between the two is that the 3 allows you to connect to the camera via wifi so your "smart phone" can act as a live viewing screen. Pretty neat, but not something I need right now.

The kit I got had the camera, the waterproof shell (a must as it is what the mounts connect to), and many, many mounting options.  That was around $300 at the time.  I'm not sure what you'll get for $35 but I've found with the internet, if it's too good to be true, it is.  But at 30-something bucks, that's a gamble with minimal risk.

The pros to the camera are: it's dead simple. Two buttons. It does what it does well: video, great photos actually, and some neat features like time lapse photos.  I took the camera hiking so I didn't have to carry a big one.  No viewfinder, just hold it out and shoot.  I got fantastic photos from it.

The cons are: It has no motion stability.  So I get QUITE a bit of vibration on the Enfield.  You cannot suction cup it to the tank like you could on a modern machine or you'll puke when watching.  Helmet mount is pretty smooth - That video was a chest harness ($30) that works pretty well and give you that in the saddle feel.

tooseevee, I also use a Canon Rebel for taking "proper" photos and a neat little Canon point and shoot when I need a pocket camera.  Both are pretty low cost and provide excellent images.

Thanks again for the comments.
Boggy

This is a still image from the GoPro's single-shot function, although its been down-rez'd to for web.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:16:31 pm
I love the sound of the megaphone.

Best sounding exhaust, ever!
Thanks for the vid!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 04:22:30 am
Thanks. That's the Emgo generic Mega with the baffle in.  Not sure if there are a wide variety of ones to choose from?  The adjustable mounting bracket made install super easy.  I can't imagine how loud it'd be with the baffle out.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:47:07 am
Thanks. That's the Emgo generic Mega with the baffle in.  Not sure if there are a wide variety of ones to choose from?  The adjustable mounting bracket made install super easy.  I can't imagine how loud it'd be with the baffle out.

Chumma has the Emgo megaphone on his Fireball. He runs his empty, and with the reverse cone removed. Full open. He says, "The ground shakes" when it's idling on the centerstand.

Chuck said he could feel the blast wave coming out about 30 feet away behind it.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 01:39:20 pm
Don't believe everything I say. ::)
Nice vid
Lovely lookin' bike.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 01:47:49 pm
Don't believe everything I say. ::)
Nice vid
Lovely lookin' bike.

Ha! Okay.
Well, I guess it was pretty loud anyway. :P

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:49 pm
I've not set any alarms fully off - But revving through some of these very narrow Boston streets I've heard heard the "chirp chirp chirp" warning from them to go off. 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 07:11:17 pm
I like your video, gotta get a camera like that!   A lot of motorcycle videos have way too much wind noise in them.
Looking around, I think Target sells one similar to yours, think I will check theirs out and then look on ebay to compare prices.  Your bike looks nice and has a good sound.  Never been to that part of the country before but hoping to get up there some day, maybe next spring.     
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 09:24:43 pm
off topic but what kind of mirrors are those? I despise the stock mirrors and I'm not completely sold on bar end. But yours are pretty nice.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31:28 pm
Nice video boggy!! I think I'm going to go out tomorrow while its snowing and  just sit on the bike in the shed, maybe I'll set the laptop up on the gas tank and play your video. It gets slow on the Cape in January.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you