Author Topic: Yet another thread about adding a kicker to a pre kicker UCE  (Read 2427 times)

agram

• Scooter
So I've had my '09 Bull on the backbench, waiting for funds to finish the project up. Because I buggered up the end of main gearshaft replacing the sprag clutch, the engine needs to have a complete rebuild to replace that (Even though it's in my notes as being a reverse thread, I must have wrenched the nut holding the clutch on the wrong way). Thankfully funds for gaskets and seals and other things might finally be coming my way.

I've always wanted to add a kick start. I'm still miffed as to why it was never there.

From my understanding, what I need to do in order to add this is as follows:

Drill hole in RH case. The case already has a boss, so putting in an oil seal SHOULD be of no problem.
Order and add/assemble part 570804 (Kick starter shaft assembly) - This SHOULD include all of the parts required for the internal assembly, as I understand the parts book.
That takes care of the assembly, I would think. Next it's just the kick starter arm and related bits:

141051 - Hex Nut M8
570259/D - Circlip 10
140201 - Ball Dia. 6.35
570814/C - Boss, Kick Start Crank
111914 - Hex Bolt, M8X40
570257/B - Spring
570815/B - Pin
570808/C - Lever Kick Start
145157/A - Sleeve, Kick Start Lever
570807/C - Kick Start Crank Assembly

I'll order said parts as soon as I can afford them (I have no idea of the cost right now), but are obscure internal Enfield parts reasonably available? I don't mind waiting for a delivery from India, but it'd be a pain to find that the parts are still unobtainium.
Can anybody see flaws in my plan? Is there anything missing? Does the kick starter gear just attach to the main gearshaft to turn it over?
Can anybody tell me what size the hole I'll be drilling in the RH case will need to be? If not, I suppose I'll just work that out when I eventually order all of the parts, but this isn't of course the most preferable method.

These parts were referenced from http://images.royalspares.com/part_manual/combined_uce_may2012/
Previous to finding this parts book, all I had access to was a very good PDF I'd found, which contained the images in the parts book for the parts, but not the part numbers themselves.

After everything arrives I'll make sure that I photograph all of the steps and do a step by step write up of the conversion, and report all costs. It does sound pretty simple, but I'd hate to miss something!

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:59:53 pm
The only person to have done this successfully that I know of is ScooterBob. That was on a early C5 military if I recall correctly. Send him a PM and request him to post what he did here so that all of us can benefit from his legendary knowledge of all things Bullet. He should be able to fill you in on any additional bits you might need.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

agram

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:27:32 pm
After talking to the wonderful folk at Hitchcocks, the part numbers I had didn't relate to the part numbers they had. I thought I'd post this, incase anybody uses these forum posts as reference in the future.

I'll be ordering the parts for this coversion in the next week or so, and when I do I'll post the correct part numbers, incase anybody decides to try this.

I'll post photos and a writeup of the conversion when I do this.

I will note that unless you have a reason to rebuild the engine, it probably isn't worthwhile. The costs of the parts is fair for someone who really wants to do this, and is rebuilding the engine for other reasons.

But I'm one of those fools who likes throwing money at things for no good reason - I'm even thinking of ditching the electric start, ditching the auto decompressor and designing a manual decompressor for this bike. All because of... Uh. Nope, I can't answer that.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
How did things go with this? Has anyone else had success with a parts list?

Regards,

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Be sure you have the UCE parts list. The kickstarter stuff should be the same as a G5 or B5 or later C5. As for a compression release, they are plentiful. The Iron barrels use one that screws into the head opposite the spark plug hole. There is a boss there to assist you in the location. There are a few on the market, some with spark plug threads some with smaller 10 or 12 mm threads. As for the auto release, it's fairly easy to remove. I was contemplating the option myself, but now the bike is gone, so it is a moot point. It would sure make the bike easier to kick start, though!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
I think the RE manual compression release vents directly into the exhaust port and I'm not sure the UCE head has a passageway for doing that.  Maybe Ace can tell us if it does?
If it doesn't, one of the releases that vent directly to the atmosphere is available.

Speaking of your old bike, it must have sold.  I don't see it listed on the wrecked vehicle web site now so keep your ears open for a thump-thump-thump gaining on you while your riding your goose.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

agram

• Scooter
I didn't end up doing the conversion, as I needed to get the bike back together and back on the road quicker than I could get the cases machined. I was a bit put off talking to the machinists (For good reason, turns out they were going to overcharge by a long shot) But I do now have all of the parts, with everything ready for later. I might end up just ordering a replacement engine cover instead of getting it drilled and reamed.

This should be a complete and accurate list of parts, sans one thing - it's called an oil splasher, and I don't have the part number on hand. A plastic looking thing that, from memory just directs the oil around the kick starter gear. I'm unsure about exactly how essential it is, and might just be a bit of over-engineering.

142291 x1 BOLT, M8 x 25mm, FOOT CHANGE LEVER     
142257 x1 STOP PLATE, FOOTSTARTER PAWL     
145090 x1 SCREW, SHORT                                 
550030 x2 WASHER, THRUST,  500cc +SIXTY5         
140333 x1 PAWL, FOOTSTARTER, SINTERED   
140332 x1 PLUNGER, KICKSTARTER PAWL                     
146450 x1 SPRING, KICKSTART (140324)                                                             
570236 x1 KICKSTART SHAFT                   
570209 x1 CIRCLIP         
140331 x1 SPRING, FOOTSTARTER PLUNGER
570241 x2 OIL SEAL, KICK STARTER
90271 x1 xGASKET SET (EFI MODELS 2008 Includes O rings and seals)
570248 x1 KICKSTART GEAR ASSEMBLY
570242 x1 KICKSTART, BOTTOM FOLDING - BOLT NEEDS MODIFICATION FOR NON - EFI MODELS.

It's an easy engine to rebuild, with no real suprises or anything tricky. I won't hesitate spending a weekend doing it all again and doing a manual decomp after I have another reliable bike sorted.

The bike is now together and on the road, although missing the kicker, of course. She purrs beautifully with the Amal carb, and with her now being a 535 with hotter valves she will easily out-accellerate my BSA A65 up to about 110km and will sit there all day and still overtake others. Probably not quite Fireball stuff, but it's a completely different machine to stock! Ripper of a thing!