Author Topic: Distance Rides - advice?  (Read 3598 times)

Boots

• Scooter
on: January 20, 2013, 05:17:01 pm
Hello again Bullet Riders,
I'm writing to get some feedback from riders who have taken their bikes on long distance runs.  Each year I take a ride with my brother in the Summer, but this coming ride will be the first on my 2012 B5. I guess what im interested in hearing is how the bikes do on long distance, as well as any advice or interesting related stories.  The only mods I have on my B5 are the countershaft sprocket and EFI exhaust.  I just finally clocked 3,000 miles and the bike is officially broken in. I plan to only use the major freeways when absolutely necessary, and for short bumps at that if at all possible.

I know Summer is a long ways off, but I love this bike and can't wait to take this trip. Planning is actually a big part of the fun for me... So I'd love to heAr whatever advice or anecdotes you may to offer.

Thanks,
Boots
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:39:33 pm
In order to get things started...

Anecdote: I once rode a Triumph Scrambler 600 miles in less than 12 hours from Coos Bay Oregon to San Jose California, stopping only to pee and fuel up.

Advice: take longer breaks and don't visit places that make you want to run for life!   ;D
Boots

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:59:29 pm
I've got no particular advice to give, however meganuke did a Saddle Sore 1000 on his RE last year and posted a great thread about his experience.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14942.0.html

I'll be watching this thread with interest, as I'll be participating in the Tour of Honor this year, and could use some wisdom too.  Good luck with your upcoming ride Boots- summer's right around the corner!

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:29:53 pm
Pack lightly.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:38:58 pm
I did about 1600 miles over 4 days from Portland, OR to San Francisco and back along the coast highway.  The stock C5 seat sucks.  Get a different one or something like a sheepskin pad or an Air Hawk.  Likewise, get some comfy grips.  I like pretty much all the ProGrip gel models.  If you still have the stock chain ditch it for a better one.  Any brand name chain will be better.  These chains have short lives, don't let it spoil your ride.  Carry some basic tools: wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers.  If you can, carry all the sockets and stuff you'd need to remove the front and rear wheels.  Know how to take your rear wheel off.  Enfields are weird.  Unless the mechanic has seen one before he'll have no idea what to do.  Carry the owners manual, it has instructions for this.  And get towing insurance, through your own insurance company or something like AMA.  Great to have if you get a flat or just run out of gas.  Ask me how I know ;)
Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:06:17 pm
shamelin:
Very good of you to point us to that thread. A remarkable achievement and an outstanding write up. SS1000 has become too easy and the criteria should be reconsidered. But to do it on a 27hp bike that is truly for the elite.

I too am prepping for a long tour and on the hunt for any piece of relevant intel. Relevant meaning relating to UCE/EFI models and that, so far, is elusive.
Here is report of a ride in Iceland on a C5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489726
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:17:23 pm by Royalista »
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:19:59 pm
I've checked that link and the pictures don't show anymore. An edited report with the pictures can be found here:
http://krian.smugmug.com/Adventure/Riding-the-Bullet-to-Iceland/Ride-Report/13791459_btW5bh#!i=1010089096&k=bJZwXMb

Mind you, these are 2005 bullet's, not UCE, not even ES, which is a good thing. And the pictures are blessed.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:47:59 pm
Wonderful trip !  wish I was there !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:58:33 pm
A removable flycreen windshield will make life way more bearable.

Get good wet weather gear.

The only issue I have ever had is several flat tires. Thats more to do with spoked wheels and tubes being more likely to go flat than anything specifically Indian. Perhaps carry a good replacement tube and some aftermarket tire levers.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:48:44 am
I really liked that..Very cool trip and on enfields to boot...Thanks .
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 01:03:34 am
Thanks for the post on the SS1000.  Gutsy to do it on an Enfield.

I should mention that the Iron Butt site us a great resource for long distance tips and techniques.  I always review it before a long ride.

Scott

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 02:44:49 am
Unplug side stand switch, AGM or Gel batt. New cable ends to battery, loctite tank bolts, headlight bulb, chain lube to go, and I think the B5 needs a Airhawk seat cushion or sheepskin pad. Take pictures during the trip!
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 02:51:41 am
I will indeed pack light, as I always do, my wife hates it that i only take spare underwear and socks andwear the same clothes the whole time.  Never bothered to in the past, but its a great idea to take some tools along as well as bringing along a spare tube.  Before I go I will service the Bullet and have them put on some new tires and change out the chain.  All great advice, food for thought. I'm excited and it's January!
Boots

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 03:49:28 am
VEGAN SHEEPSKIN SADDLE PAD...Just kidding. Cheap Saddle Pad; Wal Mart sells a nice charcoal shag Toilet Seat Cover, it has elastic around edges, it looks & works great as solo saddle cover. I used a pair of these on my Ural Sidecar Outfit. they kept UV of the rubber seats, & were very comfortable,excellent for hours of riding.  see picture
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 03:19:05 pm
also some paded bicycle short under your riding gear is nice.
i like a modular helmet so i have easy access to my camel back and food in my tank bag.
an ipod is also nice.
and some kind of cruise control to give your throttle hand relief, also highway pegs so you can streatch out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:20:11 pm by motorat »
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military