Author Topic: Where to find a used Enfield to buy?  (Read 5755 times)

pat_don_el_lee

• Scooter
on: January 20, 2013, 05:00:01 am
Hey guys, I'm in the market for an an old (early 2000s) iron barrel Enfield in British Racing Green but can't find any close to me (California) for the price I'm looking for ($3000). I'm new to bikes and want to learn how to do my own wrenching and I figure an Enfield would be a great beginner bike to get started as it seems not too complicated. I was considering the EFI models but I want the real deal and am excited to start wrenching away, but I can't find any. Seems like royalenfields.com is the best site but so far I've had no luck. There are bikes that look good but are in other states and I don't really want to pay another $700 or so to ship it and without even seeing it in person. Any thoughts on what I can do? Anyone selling here? Many thanks.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:54:06 am
http://www.royalenfields.com/
he keeps pretty good track of what's out there.I like Craigslis and ebay is always there.
Goodluck

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:49:48 am
You gotta realize you're looking for something that might not exist.  Enfields aren't that common in the US anyhow; thinking a different Internet search will make one appear for sale locally is a pipe dream.

Craigslist, Ebay, (and the consolidated search you already mentioned on royalenfields.com) print classifieds, and maybe taking a road trip or three will likely be your only options...and hey, if it's got problems, you'll get to learn to wrench faster.  (edit:  forgot cycletrader.com. too)

If you've got a dealer locally, great...maybe they'll have something...or can find a dealer selling online, maybe he'd give you more of a trustworthy feeling to buy long-distance.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:54:29 am by AgentX »

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:08:54 pm
My search for Enfields began back in early October and although I found the one I eventually bought early on, I still was checking the above mentioned sites for some strange reason, I recall seeing quite a few from California that were listed in November and December. Take your time and read up, get a book or two on them, and keep looking. One will pop up before you know it.  :)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 01:25:59 pm
I put a wanted to buy add on craigslist and got what I was looking for close to me.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:55:11 pm
I bought my 2002 for $2500,and it only had 166 miles on it...my '99 was in New Orleans,only six hours away,for $1800,and my '00 was local,on Panama City Beach,for $2000...the first one was from a friend,the last two were on Craigslist,but I found them via David Blasco's fine blog,royalenfields.com...I see California ones on there all of the time...be patient,one will find you... ;)
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:21:07 pm
I too found myself in your position last year.  I believe I put up a post too, similar to yours.  I stalked royalenfields.com for months before I found my bike on said site last May.  I got damn lucky, I believe.  I was pretty specific with what I was looking for, iron barrel, right shift, black.  Got all that with electric ignition and a disk brake.  I couldn't be happier.  2000k miles in, no problems really.  Dumped the hump, new chain and sprocket, new clutch, I'm learning and I love it! 

That said, agent x is right, what you are looking for just might not exist.  I was prepared to buy outside of where I live (new York) and you should be too.  Do you have friends that live in other places that could scope a bike for you?  Widen your range.  Do a ton of research.  And stalk royalenfields.com; I see plenty of bikes in Cali.  There also was a racing green 535 in maryland recently on royalenfields.com....I know its far but worth looking into.  Good luck.  Who knows just when I was about to give up my bike plopped into my lap. 

pat_don_el_lee

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 08:27:10 pm
I truly appreciate the help guys. I guess I have to be patient and keep looking or bite the bullet, pun intended, and get one out of state and be prepared to fix any flaws I might not like. Thanks again and I will be looking out frequently. By the way, I saw the one in Maryland and was intrigued. Perhaps I'll look into that one.

Denny K

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:03:39 pm
I know of a 2005 in Grand Junction, Colorado.  If you are interested let me know. 

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 01:57:07 am
I know of a 2005 in Grand Junction, Colorado.  If you are interested let me know.

Now there's a win/win situation...road trip to CO plus a possible new bike!

pat_don_el_lee

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:44:09 am

Got anymore information on that?

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:08:25 am
Was that a silver one??

Denny K

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 04:08:13 am
Regarding the 2005 in Grand Junction, it is BR green, it has the vintage package, low miles and a new flatslide carb.

pat_don_el_lee

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 02:10:38 am
Hey Everyone,

I was close to sealing a deal for an Enfield from Dennis K. in Grand Junction, CO. Unfortunately, due to California registration laws, I couldn't receive his bike because it had less than 7500 miles on it. California law says you cannot register a used bike purchased out of state in California if it doesn't meet CA emissions standards with less than 7500 miles on it. You can, however, if it has more than 7500 miles.

So I continue my search, but I must say how helpful and courteous Dennis was and is. He sent me tons of pictures of his bike and it is just beautiful. If anyone not in California is looking for a Royal Enfield, don't hesitate to contact Dennis. I hope the bike I do finally land is as nice as his.

If anyone has a Royal Enfield with an iron barrel engine and in BRG, with more than 7500 miles, let me know

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 04:18:22 am
I think RE actually refers to that color as "velvet green".
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120