Author Topic: Ammeter - On a C5 Classic Chrome  (Read 2146 times)

ramsharm123

• Neophyte
on: January 20, 2013, 03:21:12 am
I am very eager to fit an ammeter on my new 2012 Bullet 500 C5 Classic Chrome. I realize that there will be some constraints / space issues etc...has anyone done this?...any watch outs...?
Can I buy a standard 12 Amp Ammeter from nField Gear and fit it following normal instructions ...any tips will be appreciated...I am also planning to fit a Volt Meter
thx
Ram
Born to Ride...!!!

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:37:26 am
Bad question, but say if we use a voltmeter, or even an ammeter, will this still be able to indicate reaching TDC like in the iron barrels? Seems odd for an UCE?  :o
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:10:46 pm
I think you need points for the needle to deflect.

ramsharm123

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:20:17 pm
I think the ammeter will still work as it measures the amps fed into or taken out of the battery....as long as I connect it in series to the positive terminal  (of course excluding the starter motor wire - which draws huge amount of amps) - the reason I need this is not to determine TDC ...but just to let me know if he battery is charging or discharging (and of course I like it for old times sake)...actually voltmeter should be easier to install since all it needs is a switched connection and a ground....I guess I was trying to ascertain if any others had installed this and if there were any watch outs or precautions. I will try and install this and then maybe post my story...thanks for the comments..!!
Born to Ride...!!!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:27:56 pm
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/electrical/led-battery-gauge.html

To can wire in an ammeter, though you a need to require a little and run a line from battery, to ammeter, to voltage regulator.  The above volt meter is easier to wire in and gives to the same information.  Below about 13.5V you're not really charging, above you are.  This meter is also color coded: red-really low, yellow-a bit low, green-charging, red-overcharging.  I have one on my Enfield and I'll probably have one on every bike I get from now on.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29:12 pm
The wiring diagram indicates that the heavy current between the rectifier and the battery do not go thru the headlight nacelle so wiring a ammeter into the circuit might be difficult.

I bought and installed the LED volt meter Scotty's link shows and it works great.
I was able to connect it to my (unused) headlight parking light lead so it's powered any time the headlight or pilot lights are turned on.
I mounted it on the handlebar clamp where it is easily seen.

Here's a link to what is envolved:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12424.msg137999.html#msg137999

It's easy to know if the battery and charging circuit are in good shape. 
If the first green light is on the system is at or slightly above 12 volts.
If both green lights are on the system is charging the battery with 14 volts.

I guess if I had any complaint about it, it is that the LEDs are very bright.  This makes them easy to see in the daytime but their glare at night takes some getting used to.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 12:38:39 am
 I wired mine the same way.

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:46:19 am
+1
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome