Author Topic: Starting without battery  (Read 8616 times)

meph1st0

• Scooter
on: January 18, 2013, 03:14:18 pm
My bike was fine yesterday but today I find that the battery is totally drained out. Don't know if the battery is dead or the short circuit in electrical caused the battery to drain . Anyways, I have given the battery to battery dealer for charging and testing.
So I tried starting the bike using kicker but no use. Removed the plug to check for spark and tried kicking but there was no spark (plug was grounded while kicking). So my question is if the battery suddenly dies in the middle of nowhere you are doomed?
This is my second battery failure in three years. I have seen many such cases here in India that battery fails just few months after warranty. Is it the same case in export models too?
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:22:01 pm
The Exide brand batteries we get in the States are not that great.  Two years is probably as long as they'll last. 

Without the battery there's no power to run the electronics and fuel pump, so you can kick all you want but it won't start.

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:12:02 pm
You will be better off with an AGM type sealed battery that you can pick up from any place that sells motorcycle batteries, and if you live in the ice-age lands, a trickle charger is usually a helpful thing to improve battery life.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

meph1st0

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:23 pm
Here in India only Exide sells 12V 14A batteries. YUASA batteries are supposed to be good but no longer available here. I should have mentioned earlier I have a UCE 350 bike. It has a carb, no fuel pump and ECU
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 05:33:05 pm
If it has a generator or magneto then it can start without a battery, assuming no computers or Fuel Injection etc., and assuming that you can get it to enough revs so that the generator can supply sufficient voltage. If it has an alternator then it will need a battery to work.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 05:56:04 pm
Here in India only Exide sells 12V 14A batteries. YUASA batteries are supposed to be good but no longer available here. I should have mentioned earlier I have a UCE 350 bike. It has a carb, no fuel pump and ECU

Ah!  But I think it still has electronic ignition, and that takes a certain amout of power to run as well.  You can go to a really small battery that is too small to turn the starter and just use the kicker all the time but I think you still need some kind of battery.

Scott

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 05:59:45 pm
     Like most bikes, the Enfield electrical system is designed to run off the battery. This will provide relatively consistent power to components such as lights, which in turn provides constant, even performance regardless of engine RPM. The charging system (alternator/generator) then charges the battery. Low, no, or dead battery equals no spark/no go.
     Magnetos provide power to spark, but at starting or low RPM spark is weak. So starting can be difficult. When running, a magneto will power lights, but intensity varies with RPM and lights tend to burn out at high RPM. That is why most bikes no longer have magnetos.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 07:32:46 pm
You will be better off with an AGM type sealed battery that you can pick up from any place that sells motorcycle batteries, and if you live in the ice-age lands, a trickle charger is usually a helpful thing to improve battery life.

GSS

I bought my very first AGM battery (an Interstate) for the Enfield when I got it in December 2010. Still going strong. Just pulled it the other day to put it in a warm place for the winter. It read 12.7 volts & it's never been on a charger. I'll check it in the Spring. You never have to check the water either. Ain't technology great?  :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 07:51:47 pm
Gotta get me one of those.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 03:04:26 pm
The Exide brand batteries we get in the States are not that great.  Two years is probably as long as they'll last. 

Without the battery there's no power to run the electronics and fuel pump, so you can kick all you want but it won't start.

Scott
My Excide is over 4 years old and working fine. I guess I should look at it this spring.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 05:24:17 pm
My used 2010 G5 Deluxe came with its original Exide battery-only caused a little easy to fix corrosion( I hate conventional batteries for this reason). My first DEKA AGM battery seemed weak, Then the leads get loose twice until I used RED LOCKTITE. The first DEKA finally died, & they gave me a replacement free. Shop around for a deal online. AGM's are a worthwhile upgrade. DEKA is U.S. made & sold by VOLTEX. There may be one near you. Interstate is a good brand, I have also used Odyssey, & Motobatt AGMs with good results
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

meph1st0

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 05:27:00 pm
Its a dead battery. One of the cells is dead. After fully charging the voltage was 10v. Got a new battery and everything is fine now.
Now I have another problem. After accelerating, the revs won't drop. Initially I suspected an air leak but it is the throttle cable not going all the way back. Stops maybe a 1-2 mm before. Anybody faced this before? I am not sure if it the slide or the throttle cable. Anyways will first remove the cable, clean it and grease it.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:41:36 pm
There's no slide, it's EFI.  It's most likely the cable routing pinching some where.  Also, check it with the bars turned both ways.  Sometimes the position matters as it pinches or stretches the cables.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 12:01:04 am
There's no slide, it's EFI.  It's most likely the cable routing pinching some where.  Also, check it with the bars turned both ways.  Sometimes the position matters as it pinches or stretches the cables.

Scott

Actually he said it is the carby 350 version.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 12:05:15 am
I forgive you, Scott!  It is the UCE thread, after all...

Wait a minute, do they make a UCE 350 carb version??