Author Topic: So why is the whole Internet so dead now?  (Read 6753 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
on: January 16, 2013, 03:02:46 pm
Has anybody else noticed this?

I participate in numerous forums, and read many other sites, which include MANY diverse subjects, and virtually every page I go to now is remarkably less active than last year.

My own site is not suffering too badly, and is fairly active, but I can feel a general slow-down of the whole Internet activity, all over it.

What's going on?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:00:37 pm
I have noticed a slowdown on this site from last year, and others seem to be doing the same. A lot of the old guys seem to be disappearing. Maybe they've decided to go outside instead. There has definitely been a slowdown in motorcycle sales, but I don't really know how Infield is doing this year.
So the real bottom line is, it's happening, but beats the hell outta me as to why.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:15:27 pm
One thing to consider is that sitting at a computer and logging on to a traditional "forum," is not how the the youth are participating on the web.  It's social media destinations through their phones.  Those areas are up while the forums are down.  Facebook, Instagram, and even Youtube are all faster to access in your hand.  More sites are supporting "mobile" accessibility.

If you want to know where the "desktop" interneters are then just head to the comments sections of the "news" sites and you'll see thousands upon thousands of people participating in the act of behaving badly.  Doesn't matter what the topic is - People like to spread negativity.

This is the only internet forum I participate in because, in general, I think folks show a lot of class and restraint here.  Yup, some MIA folks here for sure.  Black Wolf, Scooter Bob, Cyrus... lots of Enfield knowledge in those brains.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 08:14:43 pm
Not too long ago topic like this would have 10 post by now.

Several reasons. I think you already know the real answer.

The easy answer ( not really) can be boiled down to one word..." APATHY".  That is a feeling of  having nothing worth talking about, or fighting over.
So maybe the answer is a question. What is causing the "apathy"? Then we might have some real answers to the question. 
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

fritz1914

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:07 pm
apathy,dont know and dont care..........you know someone had to say it....

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:58 pm
I have something I would like to talk about but thought it better to keep my mouth shut and see how it plays out.  Don't want to get this thread locked.  Jack & Bare understand.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:16:31 am
I've been using FB for light subject matter.. I check out a few other websites during the day but always visit this one twice a day..Green Machine is in suspended animation in the garage till the end of March..I think people are busy doing other things and this specific website falls into a specific  niche of the motorcycle world.
Oh Magoo you done it again

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:40:31 am
I noticed the slowdown as well.  More work and less time nowadays for most folks. Also the C5/G5 issues have been pretty much discussed to oblivion.......I think we will get reinvigorated once the Cafe Racer hits the road.......
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:45:25 am
also not alot to do with the bike when alot of the contributiers have theirs in cold storage for the winter.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 12:46:15 am
I have something I would like to talk about but thought it better to keep my mouth shut and see how it plays out.  Don't want to get this thread locked.  Jack & Bare understand.
I do understand. I have been locked out before, even dismissed from the forum. Of course it was just a missunderstanding.
Our sponsor requires that I act as a perfect gentleman. How am I doing?

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:42 am
I've been keeping the political stuff outta here and just to specific people I know.  Alot of stuff happening over the past 4 months. None of it good no matter what you believe...I'm glad we have this site to enjoy and learn.It's good to have a motorcycle to ride..GM

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 03:51:58 am
it's winter.. it rained big time here in Ky.. my garage got flooded.. the RE had water 1/2 way up the tires,,  sprayed rustable parts {which are all of them} with wd40..  ..  tree trunk got washed into the fence because TVA said it was on their right of way.. 4 wheel tractor almost got stuck trying to pull cause of dam away.. chainsaw ran out of fuel , which was probably a good thing due to the angle stuck in the fence..  many bowsaw cuts later..  I repeated the process

any more questions? :o

I wouldn't consider this a negative comment..  I would consider this a  " phooey, aGaIn..  where's my  wet Vac?  and for sure..  2013 is where I break out the back hoe and build a moat around the garage..  what do you suggest piranas , crocodiles . or catfish  for protection from high water ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:06:24 am by scoTTy »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:01:58 am
January... paying bills and wrenching (waiting for ice to melt)... this month is always slow imho.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 05:59:05 am
I started spending some time on the vespa forums where there are constant flame wars. It's entertaining as hell but I think I'm over it now. Then I got a promotion at work because I'm a chump and it's been work work work.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 06:25:51 am
Interestingly my step-daughter and friends (16-21 year olds) do not use email. Text or Facebook message is the only way to contact them.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 12:39:45 pm
Perhaps it is this change in social media that's causing it.
I find the situation to be pervasive all over the net, so that could explain it.
I am now seeing forums which used to be very active, go 2-3 days at a time without a single post showing up.

I'm not sure if our demographic of Bullet users falls into the Facebook style of social media users, or texters. But, maybe they do.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 01:29:57 pm
Everyone is on FaceBook these days.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 02:33:24 pm
Or chaturbate.  (nsfw)
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 03:15:35 pm
First of all, I don't think anyone on this forum is among the young generation that uses phones for all its social mediation.  ;) So that's probably not the issue here.

I don't really participate in many other fora, so I can't really speak to the Internet as a whole. I will say that I don't check Twitter (which I use to keep up with work-related info) or Facebook nearly as much as I used to, simply because I'm not the new guy on the job anymore and don't have time for it.

Maybe it's some sort of post-Holidays slump -- people getting back to normal life and catching up, etc. I always feel like there's a kind of social depression after the Holidays.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 06:54:27 pm
FB and Twitter doesn't explain why some old timers seemly disappeared from this forum.

Talk to any high schooler, they will tell you that FB is for 35-50 year old moms complaining about there marriage or looking for a new one.

Not sure what a twitter is. Maybe I should try Myspace.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 10:07:24 pm

Talk to any high schooler, they will tell you that FB is for 35-50 year old moms complaining about there marriage or looking for a new one.

Hilarious!  I lost a wife to Facebook a few years ago.  I can't thank them enough!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 11:28:38 pm
With all of the responses to this topic, I don't see a dearth of activity here.

Likewise, on the muzzle loading forum I belong to there are a lot of posts daily.
The number of posts there has greatly increased due to the gun issues being proposed but the regular subject areas that deal with specific types of muzzle loaders is still busy.

That forum, like this one has a lot of  old farts, I mean, more mature people visiting and posting there.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 01:16:15 am
I want a tractor like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28FReT0RBIs

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 12:11:19 am

Not sure what a twitter is. Maybe I should try Myspace.

My 20 year old step daughter does not check her email anymore, she says email is for old farts.

Twitter is about randomly reposting stuff other people have said and occasionally adding a comment, mainly from a cell phone rather than a PC. There is also tumblr which is a photo version of twitter.

Then there is instagram where you use your cell phone throughout the day to snap random shots of things like the pineapple donuts you had with morning tea and post it up, though apparently if you post up too many food photos you are at risk of being labelled a "hipster".

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:25 am
hipsterS.. I thought that was a 50's thing   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqlkyQEiUOc

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 02:44:54 pm
Scotty: Never heard of him but watched the vid..Probably just bad timing on his part as the war was still on and the country wasn't ready to let its hair down as in the late 40's/50's..He missed the mark by 5 years or so...Not sure if GlennF daughter reference to hipster holds the same meaning..GM

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:54 am
it doesn't ...  just caught my attention.. I am almost 65 so words have different meanings today as you know.. hipsters , hippies, beatniks,,  and on and on, just thought some fun music was apropo

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 02:38:45 am
Scotty: u just a old beachcomber.. 8)

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:42 pm
Hhmmmmm  I THINK I'LL GET OUT MY ZOOT SUIT
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 03:41:43 am
post some pictures BoB, I'd like to see that.
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 03:48:10 am
I noticed on another forum that some of the elders were very energized and invigorated leading up to the last election. The resulting disappointment made a few of them (me included) say "screw it. I give up" and they have retreated to  "leave me alone, I just want to get by" attitude.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 05:46:00 am
I tend to use Facebook to keep track of people in my chosen profession ( the touring theatre world) because it's the easiest way to touch base with my friends who work on other tours. But I do keep up on this forum and the Smart car forum (I drive an '09 Cabrio when I'm at home) because the niche market community connections are important to me. For person-to-person and work-related communications, I stil rely on email, but it's not always practical - many times the internet connection in the theatre I'm working in or the hotel I'm living in is sketchy or just flat-out nonexistant.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 05:46:36 pm
I noticed on another forum that some of the elders were very energized and invigorated leading up to the last election. The resulting disappointment made a few of them (me included) say "screw it. I give up" and they have retreated to  "leave me alone, I just want to get by" attitude.

Spot on.  I went out and bought a boat so I can leave at any time.   

Also this forum does not have an Iphone app that I know off.  Most of the sailing and Harley forums do.   No app means using a laptop and being at home.  All  things I seem to do less and less. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 03:44:53 am
what's an I phone :-\ :o

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 02:02:51 am
........I figured out how to log in from my IPad  ;) ....

Been away a year......fired up and rode my FireBall today......left messages for some old timers......

I see some familiar names in this thread.....hope everyone is well.
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 03:21:16 am
I think your to far back in the woods Scotty.   ;D  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 03:33:10 am
wish I was as far back as you are.. thanks for the video

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 03:09:40 pm
Wish I could be even further. What video did I miss something being this far back?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.