Author Topic: The carb again - pops and splutters  (Read 11399 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 06:11:24 pm
Get an Amal. Much easier to tune!
Bare

+100       Ain't that the truth!?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 04:56:12 am
Get an Amal. Much easier to tune!
Not a fan of Amal, never have been.  I do prefer mikunis; TM32 would be the most likely alternative for me. 

Something endearing about the bs29.  Reminds me of messing with a solex carby (which i replaced with webers eventually).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:55:02 am by DanB »
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 05:16:32 am
Thread tagged and saved for the library.

Two advantages of the CV carb are it's ability to correct somewhat for altitude and air density changes and its superior fuel atomization across the rpm range compared to other carbs.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 11:26:36 am
Machismo, how did this turn out?   I've read in a UK forum that a few folks have left the 15 pilot in, 120 mainjet and removed 0.8mm off the bottom of the slide; essentially a smaller cutout. So, I was curious how your dialing in has gone and what adjustments you've made from the above.

~dan

Dan, could not update the post for a long while. Apologies..

So here is where I stand: My BS29 showed scores on the carb piston so decided to go for a new carb.
I did not have a lot of spare bucks hence went for the BS32 carb which cost about $50.
Changed the main jet to 120 and the pilot to 17.5. Needle notch untouched. The air screw is about 3 turns out.
Mild popping sometimes, pulls good and bike doesnt overheat. Havent tested the top end yet as the bike recently underwent a bottom end overhaul.
I have now understood that this bike is better off with the stock air filter. So took the K&N off.
Recently, I made the catch can deletion mod and hence had to plug the vents on the air box and timing chest.

This makes me go for a single piece manifold hose to connect the air filter and the carb - idea is to get rid of the shitty pieces of rubbers that crack every now and then, rather better to have a good quality single piece of hose(probably a car's radiator pipe) and also to minimize the chances of air leak in the whole circuit by eliminating the air box.

So I will have to post an update on the bike's performance only after completing these changes.
Hopefully, this weekend should be it.

-Sudhir

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 05:13:28 pm
Thanks Sudhir,

Lets us know how you like the BS32. Actually, a couple of questions:

Does the needle have multiple grooves to adjust? How many?

Any plans to modify the piston holes?

Good luck and please share when you have more experience with it.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 11:23:27 am
The BS 32 is good but the only drawback is that the needle has a single notch.
Since I had some pinging in the midrange, had to put a washer underneath the needle to raise it(I actually used the washer that was on top of the needle's circlip).
By the way, removing/fitting the needle on this carb is a breeze - we all know how painful it is on the BS29. All you need is a flat-head screwdriver from the watch repairer's precision kit.

I had to buy a new flange used for the UCE 350(the one without any PAV outlets on it). Smeared oil on the inner side of the flange and it took some brute force to attach the flange to the carb's mouth. Then installed the carb on the bike.
The air box is still on, couldnt find a suitable replacement single length hose. Perhaps an activity for the upcoming weekends.

Bike runs much better - the idle is smooth, there is a crispness in the throttle response.
Mileage is approx 30kmpl.

Dan, no plans of modifying the piston holes as of now - problem is I cant really get hold of a spare piston here in Bangalore.

More updates to follow after I do an experiment with a different goldie exhaust.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 02:07:53 pm
@ Machismo - Sudhir, you can contact Chinmay Dangre. He does the porting job and he can also get a new slide for that job :)

-Sanket

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 03:34:40 am
+1^

I got a new slide ported for about 15 usd
2006 AVL Electra

Machismo

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 03:12:30 pm
A happy update guys:
After about 3months of annoying trouble, the bike now runs far too respectably, like a 500 ought to(touch f**king wood!).

So what is the set up right now?
1.No cat con, no PAV.
2.Modified breather with the timing intake/primary vent blocked. The pipe that goes into the timing chest now hangs near the side stand(no duckbill). Disconnected the tubes that go to the air filter and the air box from the catch can.
3.New goldstar exhaust - old one had most of its wool burnt out.
4.A BS 32 carb. Pilot jet at 17.5. Main is 120(plan to go up a step). Needle at the center.
5.Throttle slide modified - the vacuum holes enlarged slightly.

Hope this helps to anyone who uses a similar set up.

Upcoming action: trying fuel additives to avoid pinging. Right now, its almost reduced to zero though.
2. The bend pipe-muffler seal is always been a pain, leaks slightly - need to seal it of for once and all.