Author Topic: Shortest shocks possible on C5?  (Read 4610 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 09:48:35 pm
Oh, and even with everything stock on the bike your legs get pokes by the battery and oval storage box at a stop light.  You get used to it.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 09:16:22 pm
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/308-553

This is a seat that's the same width and length as the stock C5 seat but is low profile.

Scott

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 10:41:18 pm
And made in the usa. So you are thinking that should fit the bike? it looks not as thick as the 299 28 inch seat, but that might mean I can leave a 1 inch spring underneath, combined with lowered shocks. I might actually be zeroing in a used 2012 that would basically be a swap $ wise with my vespa. It has a few more miles than the Vespa, but is a little bit more bike. Not a lot. It will still cost me something to set up the bike to fit me, but I might be able to trade in the Xmas bike riding gifts that I don't need, like an extra jacket. However, making a change that way is a lot less painful.

Suggestions on widscreens? don't like what I see on the Nfield site. I tend to like the police style windshield more. Thx for all your help.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 11:14:16 pm
You've got some things to consider with any seat.  If you lower the rear of the seat with shorter springs and use short shocks you may angle the seat back too far and slide off the back.  I knew someone with the lowering kit who had this problem and went back to the stock seat springs.

The seat hinge on the RE is unique.  It is pretty tall and mounts near the middle of the seat, not the nose.  If you want to keep the seat sprung you may want to get a different hinge that's lower and mounts to the nose.

You don't need to have the springs, you can mount the seat right to the frame as we've talked about before.  This particular seat looks pretty thin but still appears to have good shape and padding, not just a sheet of leather over a metal base.

No matter what, you're going to have to get a little custom work done to get this mounted.  What I'd recommend is getting a few 1x4s and 2x4s.  Take them to the dealer, put the bike on the center stand, and stack them under your feet to see where your comfortable.  Take the bike off the stand and see how much lower it is, take that much off the height of the stack.  Than number is how much lower you need the seat.

Scott