Author Topic: Long trips on a Iron Barrel  (Read 2707 times)

jedaks

• Bulleteer
on: January 15, 2013, 04:08:45 pm
I'm considering doing some longer trips on my rebuilt classic. It's a 2004 5 speed kick start that I have rebuilt with a strong bottom end and an alloy barrel.

It is my daily ride to work and I do about a 100 miles a week on it, with no problems (once I finally got everything tuned in!)

What kinds of things should be checked for long trips (1 -3 days) before leaving home? I already carry a pretty comprehensive tool kit at all times.

Thanks

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:09:12 pm
Just check the standard stuff. If you're riding it daily you probably keep up with it pretty well. There shouldn't be any items with a hidden agenda.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

nymonzajr

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:32 am
Did you find the alloy barrell was an improvement?

I just picked up a new to me 06 500 iron head and am thinking about improvements that can be done to it over time.

Thanks,
Jack

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:07:31 am
Did you find the alloy barrell was an improvement?

I just picked up a new to me 06 500 iron head and am thinking about improvements that can be done to it over time.

Thanks,
Jack

Yes, I think it has helped with cooling. I rebuilt the engine into a 535cc. I was just going to bore out the old cast iron barrel but it would have left a thin cylinder wall and I wasn't comfortable with that.

After shutting down the bike for an hour I can touch the cylinder with my bare hand. Before, with the cast iron cylinder the thing would stay hot for hours.

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:31 am
Just check the standard stuff. If you're riding it daily you probably keep up with it pretty well. There shouldn't be any items with a hidden agenda.
Bare
Thanks for that concise and clear answer.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:48:55 pm
jedaks
You got a volt/ohm meter?  It's a handy thing to have when the lights go out or the engine dies.
If you don't have one, Harbor Freight has a little, very low cost one that only takes up about 5/8" X 2" X 2 1/2" worth of space and it weighs almost nothing.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:43:18 am
Baling wire, wire ty's, duct tape.... don't leave home w/o um...
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:53 pm
credit card cell phone and aaa rv insurance. other stuff optional  and go. (but not too fast)
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 07:41:49 pm
Loooooong nylon strap, no hook on the end you wrap a few times around the handlebar as you hold both with your hand, just in case you need a tow. Handy when dirtbike trail riding, just gotta be careful how to use it and when to let it go, certainly handy when stuck on the side of the road....electrical wire, some aligator clips, among much more :)

yogi bear

• Mr James Maurice Hill
  • Scooter
  • yogi bear and enfield outside garage
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 02:38:47 pm
Hello Jedaks.
As you don't say where you are going or how far you intend to travel,i hope these small tips
will help you.  Chek you tyres,Oil, Chain,Battery,and lights.   Also give your bike a good service
before you leave,oh! i nearly forgot don't forget to check your cables and take plenty of spares
and tools with you.Before i take my leave i wish you well on your long trip and i hope you enjoy
it.  Yours in Enfields.  Yogi Bear. 8) 8)
Mr James Maurice Hill