Author Topic: RE Bullet owners in the Fredericksburg, VA area  (Read 2582 times)

UniqueGirl

• Scooter
on: January 14, 2013, 01:13:27 pm
Guys,
Obviously by my posts, I am not a motorhead but love my bike.  It appears to be giving me some issues and I don't like to rely on my busy friend to fix issues.  Other than Velocity Motor Cycles in Richmond, VA does anyone know anyone locally to Fredericksburg,VA with the mechanical know how for RE Motorcyles?  Thanks in advance. ;)

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:47 pm
for normal servicing it would be a good idea to buy the manual and learn to do this yourself. it is an easy bike to work on and as a complete beginner I found this the best solution as the dealerships are so far away. Good luck.
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:26:13 pm
I'm up the road (25 miles) north/west at the intersection of 29/17...U have one of the newer bikes/correct?  I haven't been keeping up on your problem, exactly what is the problem,,,GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

UniqueGirl

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:07:43 pm
I have a 2006 Bullet that started leaking oil out of the air filter.  I have a friend looking at it but hate to be a burden.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 05:30:25 pm
That air filter housing has a hose connected to it that goes to that catch can for the breather overflow that I described earlier.
That hose on the air filter housing doesn't need to be attached, except for air pollution control testing. It can be pulled off the air filter housing, and you can take the oily air filter out and clean the oil out of the air filter housing, and put a new air filter in. Then the oil won't get into the air filter again anymore.
But you need to empty that catch can, because it is full of oil, and it's going to continue to overflow out that hose, and get oil on other parts of the bike.
You must empty that catch can of oil.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 12:08:16 am
Ace: I did the reroute of the oil breather line years ago. I usually check the catch can once a year if I remember too....Just one time I had to clean out mayo clogging up the  black return tube..I do leave the tube between the catch can and filter housing intact and never had a problem..The K&N filter has never been soaked in oil..GM

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:41 am
UG mine is a 06 too....Ace gives good advice about cleaning out the catch can, check the air filter and while u have the catch off, clean out any mayo building up in the plastic tubes that attach to the bottom of the catch can to the engine..using a hanger, rags and/or shop vac will facilitate this process...

UniqueGirl

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:51:23 am
Ace and Green Machine. You rock. My friend and I started doing what you said. Wow the mayo crapped was oozing out like crazy. We cleaned it out of everything tonight. Have to finish job tomorrow. Hopefully I will be good to go. Ace, you truly know your stuff. Many many thanks.

UniqueGirl

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 06:02:25 pm
Ace,
To remove the oil filter on the 2006 bullet all I need to do is unscrew the nut holding the end cap in position correct?  I plan on taking that out and cleaning or rinsing in solvent prior to refilling with oil.  Does this sound accurate?  Unique Girl

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 06:26:21 pm
Ace,
To remove the oil filter on the 2006 bullet all I need to do is unscrew the nut holding the end cap in position correct?  I plan on taking that out and cleaning or rinsing in solvent prior to refilling with oil.  Does this sound accurate?  Unique Girl

It really should get a new filter when you do that, but if you don't have any new ones, you could clean it once and put one in the next time, as long as there are no rips in the fabric.
You must pay attention to the plates and washers and o-rings when you unscrew that nut and withdraw the parts, so that you put them back in the same way that they came out.

UniqueGirl

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 07:36:55 pm
Thanks so much.  UG  ;D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 09:54:40 pm
Thanks so much.  UG  ;D

Happy that I was able to help you, Unique Girl.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 10:25:55 pm
Hold on to the end cap there is a spring in there that will send everything across the room.    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.