Author Topic: Negative battery cable question - please advise  (Read 2216 times)

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
on: April 08, 2013, 01:21:59 am
In the process of reinstalling my battery I decided to re-route some of the nearby cables to address some clearance issues there.  I had to remove the upper battery bracket bolt to do so.  I had never had a reason to move any of these wires around before today.  Once I had everything where I wanted it, I noticed something:

I know one end of this cable goes to the negative battery terminal, but where does the other ring terminal hook to?  There was a thinner black wire hooked to the battery holder bolt, which I assume is a ground wire.  I put this back in place when I re-assembled it.  Is that where this ring connector is supposed to be as well; under the nut that holds the battery holder bolt to the frame tab?

I imagine it is a quick and easy question for this illustrious group.  Probably being overly cautious, but I was worn out by that time anyway and it was a good stopping point.  Appreciate any replies.  Thanks.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:24:09 am
I believe there is a bolt on the backside of the battery box that
goes to the frame, I think, for the main ground. While you are at it,
scratch the paint off for a better ground.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:26:18 am by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:06:57 pm
Right you were, Baird.  Took the battery bracket back off and put the one end of the ground wire on that bolt (where it came from, apparently).  The tab on the frame already had the paint pretty well removed, so I did not mess with it.  Bike turned on and fired up no problem.

Thanks for the advice.  Now it just has to be warmer and not raining for me to actually ride some more, haha.