Author Topic: 2nd try: Switch module labels in wiring diagram?  (Read 3156 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: January 09, 2013, 07:34:47 pm
My first thread seems to be broken, so I'm trying again.  Sorry...

I'm trying to examine the wiring diagram, and I'm having trouble sorting what goes where, in part because the switch modules aren't labeled well.  I'm used to seeing switch terminals labeled with what they do, and how they interact with each other, i.e. normally open/closed toggle, or how a multi-switch's contacts behave.

As you can see in the pics, not everything is properly labled.  Take the LH switch module:

Terminals 8-9 are shown to be a normally open switch, and tracing the diagram wires show it to be the horn switch.  Terminals 5-6-7 don't show any switch, but tracing their diagram wires show them to be the turn signal switch.  Easy.  I can't tell what's happening with terminals 1-2-3-4.  I know that they're to do with the headlight dip switch and "day flash" switch, based on tracing the diagram wires (and they're the only switches left on the module!), but I can't tell what's what as far as connections go.

The RH switch module is worse:

Four normally open switches shown for the "kill" switch, e-start switch, and 2-position headlight switch.

Anybody have this sorted?

Gremlin tried to answer, but I never got to read his reply on the broken thread.  In a PM he wrote:

There is a page in the schematic labelled "contact diagram" it shows what the buttons are used for, and, their logic.

example when turning on the headlights BOTH EF and GH make contact.

I don't know what page he is referring to - I don't have such a thing in any of my resources.  It sounds like just what I'm looking for... anybody know?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:19:18 pm
A+B = RUN
C+D = START
E+F = HEADLAMP
G+H = PARKING
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:22:20 pm
A=RED w/WHITE
B=BROWN
C=RED w/BLUE
D=BLUE w/WHITE
E=YELLOW
F=YELLOW w/RED
G=RED w/WHITE
H=GREY
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:50:39 pm
That's helpful, Gremlin, and the switch pairs are what I thought they were.  But where did you get the info?  I'm very interested in the "contact diagram" you mentioned...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:16 pm
Gremlin came through again.

The contact diagram is shown in, of all places: my owners manual.  There's two glued-in wiring diagram pages - one page has "starter and charging circuit" on one side, and "ignition circuit" on the other.  The second page has the "complete circuit" (too tiny for me to read), and the other side has, you guessed it, the "contact diagram".

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:48:56 pm
I have those in my OM too.  Do yourself a favor, take them to the local Kinko's and make a blown up copy that you can actually read.  Even then, much of the writing is pretty fuzzy but it's a little easier to see everything.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:34:09 pm
Scotty-

Full disclosure: I sprung for NFG's poster-sized diagram - I spotted it just before Christmas "on sale" for $18 (the B&W version).  I'm glad I did.  It's a blown up copy I can actually read, and the writing isn't fuzzy at all.  I'm thinking about color-coding it myself.

There was a thread about this diagram, and its laminated full-color cousin, a year-and-a-half or so ago, which quickly devolved into a $hit-storm about the price - I don't want to start that again.

I bought the diagram, and the manual and parts book for my bike.  I know there's freebee's out there: I've downloaded and checked them out myself (the PDF versions can't be beat for searching for part numbers) - but we made our living for years on audio recording sales so I'm not so liberal when it comes to sharing copyrighted stuff.

The B5 parts book really is for the B5 - it's got my bike on the cover, and all the right items listed inside, including those exclusive to that model...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:02 pm
I'm sure that's better quality than my own blow up of the original.  I remember the color one seemed pricey but if that's how you feel don't buy it! :P

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 11:24:16 am
Wiring has come up in another thread, which leads me to my next question about the diagram...

There are a lot of wires shown that aren't labeled with their colors.  Is this just an oversight, or is it because they expect that wire colors are going to change?

Is there a "complete" list somewhere?