Author Topic: New Rig  (Read 5264 times)

H2O

• Scooter
  • Death is inevitable so enjoy the ride
on: January 08, 2013, 07:13:30 pm
I will shortly be the proud owner of a brand new Classic Chrome Royal Enfield with an Inder Rocket sidecar. I have just paid the deposit and hope to take delivery on the 19th January.

I am going to get used to riding it real fast, in a week-end. I have bought the rig from a dealer on our east coast in a city called Durban and will have to drive it up to my home in Brakpan just east of Johannesburg, a distance of about 580 kilometers.

Fortunately it is freeway but it can be busy with lots of trucks. The route also takes me thrugh a mountain pass with lots of turns. There will be plenty of places to stop and get my nerves to calm down a bit. I reckon I'll know how to handle the rig by the time I gt home.

I post some pic's when I have the rig.

Be alert
Be safe
Live your life

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:46:47 pm
I dont know if you are joking...... but this is a very bad idea. Your bike is not designed for that kind of riding ever, probably even after it is broken-in. Also, if you have never had a sidecar before you will be very dangerous on the road (especially highway and montain passes), to yourself and others. So, please dont do it !
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:48:49 pm by 1 Thump »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 01:24:53 am
It doesn't sound like too good of an idea, does it?

A brand new Royal Enfield needs a slow gentle break in and the Owners manual says the 500cc bikes shouldn't be ridden at speeds over 60 kmph for the first 500km and oil change.
Then, the speed can be increased to 90kmph until 1000km is reached.
These recommendations are for the bare motorcycle, not one propelling the additional weight of a sidecar.

Then, there's the 'learning curve' needed to deal with the odd behavior of a sidecar rig.
Those little things like the rig trying to turn one way while accelerating and the other way when its braking.

If at all possible, I think paying a transport company to truck the bike home would be a wise decision.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

H2O

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:26:24 pm
I think I need to elaborate on my plans.

I am well aware that sidecar rigs handle extremely differently to motorcycles an the intention is to get some hands on experience in Durban before embarking on the journey home. I am also hoping to have the assistance of an experienced driver during this time.

I have been told by various people including our local distributor of Ural sidecars that one's maximum speed should not exceed 110 km/h. (66 mph). I fully intend to stay within this limitation.

The mountain pass is fortunately not extreme. The curves are not sharp ninety degree curves. The road is a dual carriageway with two lanes on each side. The curves are gentle with cars being able to negotiate them at 120 km/h (aprox. 72 mph) or faster.

This does not mean that I'm not nervous, I am and I hope that I'll drive sensibly and within my capability.

I also hope to do  500 km's and have this service done before attaching the sidecar and embarking on the journey home. It may well be a good thing to do an oil change when I arrive home.

I am a bit confused with the comment that RE's we not designed for this kind of journey. Local riders that I've spoken say they regularly do trips of  over 500km's and the salesperson that I'm dealing with has complete a 2,800 km trip recently. I have also viewed the video clip One Crazy Ride (http://www.dirttrackproductions.com/ocr.html) and another tour of the Himalay's in 2009 which show these bikes as being extremely capable.

Lastly, I would like to thank you all for your concern and advice and hope that you will continue to feel free to do so.

I would also like to mention in closing that I hope to do a 5,200 km ride around my country in April this year. Part of the journey will take me through some remote areas. It was with this trip in mind that I decided to get a sidecar rig.
Be alert
Be safe
Live your life

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:54:08 pm
H2O: A stock RE (I am guessing yours will be stock when you get it) delivers around 18-20 hp at the rear wheel. It is barely highway capable by itself here in the US. Add the weight and handling issues of a sidecar, you have quiet an adventure on your hands.

At 500 km your bike is not broken-in. It is not recommended to be ridden at highway speeds at that kind of mileage even without a sidecar. And by highway riding I mean spedds over 60 mph over an extended period of time. You might even end up voiding warranty coverage. 

Also, you cant really compare it to a Ural. It's a bigger bike with more hp and the chasis/handling was designed with a sidecar in mind.

You can not compare it with the RE's riding the Himalayas either. That is very slow speed riding on essentially dirt tracks. They cover the kind of distance you talk about in multiple days.

Be safe.   

H2O

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 04:25:09 pm
After the concerns expressed I thought it would be wise to hear Royal Enfield's opinion and so sent an e-mail to their customer service adress in their website and also contacted our local distributor.

The local chap said that although the bike with sidecar would do the trip without problems provided that 500 km service has been done he would strongly advise that I rather not undertake the trip.

As I have a suitable tow vehicle I'm going to try to find a trailer to load the rig on and bring up. If I don't  manage then I'll have drive it up.

I paid for the rig today but will only take delivery on the 19th.

I want to thank you all for your input so far. This is what makes these forums great. One can always depend on forum members to give good advice and to assist.

I have attached some photo's of the rig that I have purchased
Be alert
Be safe
Live your life

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:10:02 pm
Looks like a fun rig. :)
Take care and ride safe.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

H2O

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 04:30:04 pm
Well. went down yesterday to Durban to fetch the rig. As I mentioned I managed to get a trailer and loaded the rig onto it. Just as well as we had rain almost the whole way down and back again.

I tried out the rig there and almost put it on its side. A foot out in time saved the moment! I was trying to turn right (In SA the sidecar is on the left of the Bike.) there as a slope to the left which just made difficult to do the right turn and I had the throttle open to wide.

Got back home at about 5 pm yesterday. I have a huge back yard so did circle in the back yard. First anti-clockwise and then clockwise. A few figure of eights and then ventured out on the road and did a few slow laps.

This morning my wife and I went to church with the rig.

I haven't found it extremely difficult but definitely tricky. I have to really keep my wits around me and concentrate especially when doing left hand turns.

It is exciting and I'm really enjoying it. I should have done this earlier
Be alert
Be safe
Live your life

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 01:03:31 am
Nice looking set up!  You'll have lots of opportunity for adventure.  Keep us updated on your journeys (with pics).  Good luck + safe travels!
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Oldhippie

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:03:08 pm
heres a pic of my c5 chrome w inder
hope this works  :-\
I will shortly be the proud owner of a brand new Classic Chrome Royal Enfield with an Inder Rocket sidecar. I have just paid the deposit and hope to take delivery on the 19th January.

I am going to get used to riding it real fast, in a week-end. I have bought the rig from a dealer on our east coast in a city called Durban and will have to drive it up to my home in Brakpan just east of Johannesburg, a distance of about 580 kilometers.

Fortunately it is freeway but it can be busy with lots of trucks. The route also takes me thrugh a mountain pass with lots of turns. There will be plenty of places to stop and get my nerves to calm down a bit. I reckon I'll know how to handle the rig by the time I gt home.

I post some pic's when I have the rig.
2011 c5 chrome

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 02:23:02 am
sweet.....let us know how it is.
i was thinking about putting a chair on my c5
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 04:35:07 am
Here are a couple of pictures of my C5 Military with the other style Inder sidecar for reference/comparison.

I have added a rear rack since these were taken.  It finishes out the tail nicely.

Oldhippie

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 07:23:12 am
sweet.....let us know how it is.
i was thinking about putting a chair on my c5
    Its a fun ride  ;D no power house  :-\i top out around 60 or so. but im on a small island in hawaii , 40 mile wide by 10 wide and max speed limit is 45 so its the sh@t here lol
ride on
tom
2011 c5 chrome

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 03:33:13 pm
thanks.
mplayle:
that is the chair i was looking at.
looks good.
Joe
08 dl650abs