Author Topic: Federal Safety Sticker  (Read 3347 times)

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
on: May 29, 2008, 09:24:25 pm
Well, the bike is running great but today received a letter from the MN Driver and Vehicle Services Division indicating that my bike may not meet Federal Safety Requirements! They returned the MCO to me with vague instructions about having an inspector verify that I have a Federal Safety Sticker (of course no information about where or how to have it inspected) or that I need to return my license plates!.

Has anyone experienced this problem with their DMV?

I do recall having a bit of a problem registering a Chinese scooter I bought my 16 year old daughter, but that was resolved at the DMV counter.

Ideas?

Bill

geoffbaker

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:39:54 pm
The safety information is on a plaque in the toolbox. If you have any problems, call CMW, they can advise you.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:06:21 am
Geoff  is right, these bikes have met all standards since they have been imported in 1995. Many of the Chinese bikes are either not certified or have forged or counterfeit stickers. The Federal government has turned a blind eye to these  violations for both DOT and EPA rules where the Chinese are concerned. They know full well, but have decided to do nothing with them. What do you think would happen if Harley knowingly violated these laws? Because the Feds have not done their job, many of the states have started to intervene, but most are ill equipped to deal with the issues do we run into this onece in a while.  We would like to get involved on your behalf so that we can make sure that this doesn't happen to any other Minnesota customers. Please call us at 800-201-7472 and ask for Doneen
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

wmooremn

• Scooter
  • Electra X 2008
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 02:26:33 pm
Thanks for the responses, Kevin, I'll give your office a call later this morning. I have already contacted Custom Cycle and they said they would resolve it for me.

Bill