Author Topic: Opinions/Suggestions on saddlebags needed  (Read 8885 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:48 pm
Matt, the turn signals were the problem. I couldn't be entirely sure that the weight of the bags resting on the turn signals wouldn't bend the stalks, so I flipped them. It bothered me at first because the bags are obviously optimized for the other orientation (not least because the water bottle holder is now at the rear). But I'll get used to it.

In practice ill never have a passenger while the bags are on -- the simplest symmetrical way to secure the bags is to strap them to the foot pegs anyway -- so this is all academic.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 12:08:46 am
Hey Rich - I thought that maybe the turn signals might be the problem.  Please let us know how you like the bags... they look roomy!

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 12:54:33 am
wow i think i know where jimmy hoffa is now!

those bags are great....if you need more room, then you need a tuck.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 12:42:57 am
The Kuryakyn Granthrow-over saddlebags performed superbly on my 200-mi overnight round trip between NYC and Philadelphia. They strap on in 30 seconds and hold securely - no problems even at highway speeds. I wasn't aware of any change in ride due to the weight or profile. They don't sit quite flush against the bike due to protrusions like the lift handle but it's not disturbingly unattractive. I could imagine packing for 3 or 4 nights in bags this size. (My computer and briefcase items rode on my back in my regular lightweight backpack.) Very happy with the purchase and will be using them often.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 12:56:23 am
thanks for the review.
it is always good to hear about a product that performs as it should.
you are set up for a fantastic summer of touring!
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 03:32:37 pm
Just used the Kuryakyn Granthrow-over saddlebags as carry-on luggage on a Delta flight -- neither Delta nor the TSA had any problem with them, despite the odd shape.

I clipped the two bags together in two places (with a combination lock and a carabiner) so they would hold together even if I ended up having to check them, and attached a shoulder strap.

Here's what they look like in that condition: http://ink361.com/#!/photo/404188595728332816_4412477

I've also attached Velcro to the two large flaps, in case I ever have to take them apart and check them separately. But it wasn't needed.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]