Author Topic: Opinions/Suggestions on saddlebags needed  (Read 8792 times)

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
on: January 06, 2013, 06:25:24 am
After adding the passenger pillion to the bike I started thinking about taking long trips with the wife and the necessity for storage.....

OK, so I decided that I'm a big fan of the Express Saddlebags from nfield gear but after whipping out the tape measure for a test fit on the bike I quickly realized that they would cover up the bullet turn signals I just put on my shock bolts.....
I went all out and heat shrinked and put plastic tubing over the wiring and then zip tied it all down....looks almost factory. With that being said, I really do not want to move the damn things but with saddlebags they would be completely useless from the back of the bike.

opinions....

since I do no have a G5 with those nifty seat mounts that I can use and I really do not want to drill into the fender again, what should I do?

forget about bags or move the signals? or say screw it and just put bags on and keep the signals where they are?

ps. boredom at work is the mastermind behind this post. Thanks for your replies.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:45:20 am
will any of the pannier frames made for an electra fit on a C5? if so I think they would lower the top of the saddlebag to be just below the turn signals in their current spot. The pannier frames drop the bags down a good few inches.....plenty of clearance to still use the turn signals in their current spot.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:19:32 pm
C5's frame differs from G/E5. Racks will not fit.

B.sheets, You'll have to face the music: either move the indicators to the back or abandon on saddle bags or throw them on and run the gauntlet.

It looks nice though.

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:47:47 pm
You could always do the Indian thing and add some extra lights, maybe on the saddle bags themselves, and wire them up to flash with your existing indicators :D

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:10:59 pm
You could always do the Indian thing and add some extra lights, maybe on the saddle bags themselves, and wire them up to flash with your existing indicators :D

that's not a bad idea actually....

my only other thought was making custom pannier frames for the c5.... unfortunately that may be a bit pricey since I can't do any of it myself. (cough cough nfieldgear) the only thing that is holding me up is if I mount the saddlebags on the fender frame they are too high...i just need a lower spot to mount the bags.....

any other thoughts as I sort through the list of things to do on my bike before my wife no longer has a paycheck coming in(just had a baby and she's not going back to work)?
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:25 pm
these are the brackets I'm talking about.
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/luggage/black-electra-bracket-set-style-2.html
there has to be a way to make them work on the c5.

2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:17:30 am
I'm just throwing this out there - I'm sure there's plenty of reasons it wouldn't work...

Say you get 4 of these, or similar (the pic is from the website Arizoni suggested):

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ms21919clamps2.php

I used a couple like these to mount my rack.  Thread here, with some pics: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15273.msg166010.html#msg166010

Install one on the curved fender support rail right up near the shock mount - could even be inboard of the turn signal.  "Fabricate a bracket" (don't you love these detailed suggestions?) that can have a hole drilled to bolt to the clamp.  The bracket angles down and back, below the signal, then turns and runs straight and level, back until it meets the rail again, near the tail light.  Attach it using another clamp. 

Cheesy pic example: black clamps, green bolts, and pink bracket:

You'd have to sort out how long the level part would need to be to support your bags, and fine-tune the mounting points.  Maybe the bags would be too low this way?  Dunno, just thinking out loud.

Come to think of it, I might do something similar to install my crummy throw-over bags so I don't have to throw them over...

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:40 am
I'm just throwing this out there - I'm sure there's plenty of reasons it wouldn't work...

Say you get 4 of these, or similar (the pic is from the website Arizoni suggested):

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ms21919clamps2.php

I used a couple like these to mount my rack.  Thread here, with some pics: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15273.msg166010.html#msg166010

Install one on the curved fender support rail right up near the shock mount - could even be inboard of the turn signal.  "Fabricate a bracket" (don't you love these detailed suggestions?) that can have a hole drilled to bolt to the clamp.  The bracket angles down and back, below the signal, then turns and runs straight and level, back until it meets the rail again, near the tail light.  Attach it using another clamp. 

Cheesy pic example: black clamps, green bolts, and pink bracket:

You'd have to sort out how long the level part would need to be to support your bags, and fine-tune the mounting points.  Maybe the bags would be too low this way?  Dunno, just thinking out loud.

Come to think of it, I might do something similar to install my crummy throw-over bags so I don't have to throw them over...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! I've been thinking about it so much lately that an obvious solution like this never even occured to me.

that's exactly what I'm going to do....I think the express saddle bags from nfieldgear are small enough to clear the exhaust on the bottom...

I love that everything on these bikes end up being custom...
Thanks so much mattsz

and in the mean time if anyone has any skills in the bracket making department I'd love some advice before I head to Lowe's.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 12:57:41 am
b.sheets -

I love your enthusiasm, but if I were you I'd wait just a spell longer and give the heavy hitters a chance to poke holes in my suggestion.  They've done it to me before, and always have improved my results!

What stock material can you bend effectively, that's also thick enough to drill mounting holes, but not so thick that it's too heavy or awkward?  Well, I don't know.  Maybe some sort of hollow pipe or tubing that can be bent, and "crushed" flat where the bolts would go through?

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 01:05:07 am
Don't worry! I'm stuck at work for the next few days!!!

I was thinking though, If i can find someone in NC maybe I could get the pieces welded up ...that way I don't have to bend any metal and that way both sides could be identical and still mounting them with the clamps you provided.
Another option would be to weld them directly to the frame. The only downside to that is the bracket will stay if I take the bags off for good.

Opinion on welding the simple bracket(designed by you) to the frame?
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 02:16:44 am
I like for mods to be reversable.  I would not weld to the bike, but the clamp with rubber or plastic to protect paint has a lot of merit.  A length of 5/16" aluminum rod with a thick flat washer welded on the end to accept a bolt might be tried.  Building supply shops should have the aluminum rod.  The washer could be cut from a short length of 3/4" aluminum.  A vise, hacksaw, file, and drill should be sufficient.  Then you will need to find a welding shop.  They should be able to make the 4 small welds for very little cost.  The aluminum only needs a bit of steelwool and wax for a good finish.  If you don't like the result, remove it.  GA-DK

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 03:53:35 am
Keep your turn signals where they are and just add some of these:
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LICENSE-PLATE-TURN-SIGNALS/

Scott

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 05:21:49 am
Keep your turn signals where they are and just add some of these:
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LICENSE-PLATE-TURN-SIGNALS/

Scott

the license plate dots could be pretty cool if you ran them through the bags like GlennF suggested. could also use the existing rear frame bracket without any need for customization. lots of great ideas!
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 09:24:23 am
 these just arrived from hitchcocks in the uk today. all i have to do is line them up correctly tomorrow and see how they look

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 09:31:03 am