HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Still Life in Gas to Diesel

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2016, 06:59:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timing cover badge  (Read 970 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Timing cover badge
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »
Hey guys ordered the timing cover badge among several other goodies the other day. It says it can be bonded or riveted. I would rather just bond it on there vs drilling holes in the timing cover etc. For those who have used the glue/bonded attachment what did you use? Thanks

The part:
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/timing-cover-badge.html

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Re: Timing cover badge
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:56:49 pm »
I would suggest a hi-temp silicone. You could peen some small soft metal rivets to the plate mounting holes so when you bond (glue) it to your case it looks like it is riveted. I think it would look cooler upon close lookiloo inspection.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS 360-2D (Cafe Project)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 08:09:29 am »
I would suggest a hi-temp silicone. You could peen some small soft metal rivets to the plate mounting holes so when you bond (glue) it to your case it looks like it is riveted. I think it would look cooler upon close lookiloo inspection.

Hey thanks, oh yeah i forgot to mention that i was gonna put some rivets in the holes to make it look legit lol. Maybe ill do the high temp silicone like ya said. If i i ever take the badge off for some reason the silicone will come off and the case will not be damaged in any way.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:37:57 pm »
I used JB-weld, it has been in place almost 10 years.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 09:30:54 pm »
I used JB-weld, it has been in place almost 10 years.

Cool thanks. Yeah JB popped in my head and i know that stuff is super durable. I might go that route as i know if applied right that part aint going nowhere! I have both JB and RTV silicone in my garage so ill just feel out what im gonna use when i do it. Id like to get a nice solid fit without any adhesive gushing out or left in seams between that badge and timing cover. So in other words i want it to stick but look like its been riveted not glued etc. When you installed it did you just put a glob of it in the middle of the badge or was it an even layer all over type thing?

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:22:11 pm »
I'd mix it thin and warm,spread it out on the plate,press it on firmly,and clean up the squeeze-out with Q-Tips and acetone right away...it will NEVER come off...glued my petrol tank mounting tabs on the 2000 last spring with J-B Weld,and they're still rock-solid...I kept hearing an unnerving rattle at certain RPM's,and it turns out that the welds had broken...whew...easy fix!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:51:22 pm »
When you installed it did you just put a glob of it in the middle of the badge or was it an even layer all over type thing?
Ans: I spread it out on the plate,pressed it on firmly,held it in place for 24 hrs with some masking  tape. Cleaned up the squeeze-out with Q-Tips and acetone right away.  Found two appropriate sized screws, cut off the screw heads, and placed the shortend heads into the epoxy at the badge holes.  As I said, the badge has been in place for 10 or twelve years now with no sign of coming loose.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 08:10:35 am »
Thanks again for all the advice guys, i ended up putting it on top of the handlebar clamp. It seems to fit just right there and i mounted with 3m double sided tape. I popped a couple rivets through and ground down the back of them before applying the tape. I just wasn't happy with the way it looked like it was gonna fit to the timing cover with the curve etc. I bent it a little but just wasn't happy with the contour of it to the timing cover. Its ok though, looks great where it is ! And if i change my mind later i can always remove it and try it again on the timing cover but for now im happy :)