Author Topic: Timing cover badge  (Read 1801 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
on: January 04, 2013, 12:58:25 am
Hey guys ordered the timing cover badge among several other goodies the other day. It says it can be bonded or riveted. I would rather just bond it on there vs drilling holes in the timing cover etc. For those who have used the glue/bonded attachment what did you use? Thanks

The part:
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/timing-cover-badge.html

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:56:49 am
I would suggest a hi-temp silicone. You could peen some small soft metal rivets to the plate mounting holes so when you bond (glue) it to your case it looks like it is riveted. I think it would look cooler upon close lookiloo inspection.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:09:29 pm
I would suggest a hi-temp silicone. You could peen some small soft metal rivets to the plate mounting holes so when you bond (glue) it to your case it looks like it is riveted. I think it would look cooler upon close lookiloo inspection.

Hey thanks, oh yeah i forgot to mention that i was gonna put some rivets in the holes to make it look legit lol. Maybe ill do the high temp silicone like ya said. If i i ever take the badge off for some reason the silicone will come off and the case will not be damaged in any way.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:57 pm
I used JB-weld, it has been in place almost 10 years.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:30:54 am
I used JB-weld, it has been in place almost 10 years.

Cool thanks. Yeah JB popped in my head and i know that stuff is super durable. I might go that route as i know if applied right that part aint going nowhere! I have both JB and RTV silicone in my garage so ill just feel out what im gonna use when i do it. Id like to get a nice solid fit without any adhesive gushing out or left in seams between that badge and timing cover. So in other words i want it to stick but look like its been riveted not glued etc. When you installed it did you just put a glob of it in the middle of the badge or was it an even layer all over type thing?

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:22:11 am
I'd mix it thin and warm,spread it out on the plate,press it on firmly,and clean up the squeeze-out with Q-Tips and acetone right away...it will NEVER come off...glued my petrol tank mounting tabs on the 2000 last spring with J-B Weld,and they're still rock-solid...I kept hearing an unnerving rattle at certain RPM's,and it turns out that the welds had broken...whew...easy fix!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:51:22 pm
When you installed it did you just put a glob of it in the middle of the badge or was it an even layer all over type thing?
Ans: I spread it out on the plate,pressed it on firmly,held it in place for 24 hrs with some masking  tape. Cleaned up the squeeze-out with Q-Tips and acetone right away.  Found two appropriate sized screws, cut off the screw heads, and placed the shortend heads into the epoxy at the badge holes.  As I said, the badge has been in place for 10 or twelve years now with no sign of coming loose.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:10:35 pm
Thanks again for all the advice guys, i ended up putting it on top of the handlebar clamp. It seems to fit just right there and i mounted with 3m double sided tape. I popped a couple rivets through and ground down the back of them before applying the tape. I just wasn't happy with the way it looked like it was gonna fit to the timing cover with the curve etc. I bent it a little but just wasn't happy with the contour of it to the timing cover. Its ok though, looks great where it is ! And if i change my mind later i can always remove it and try it again on the timing cover but for now im happy :)