Author Topic: 2012 c5 bullet classic stalled will not start  (Read 1940 times)

CGP

• Scooter
on: January 04, 2013, 12:56:26 am
any help, my 2012 bullet classic c5 with 3000 miles started running rough the other day but was fine within a few minutes and ran fine for several days after. today it started ok ran rough for a minute  but was fine the rest of my trip to work, came out after work started up ok ( even witht being only 21 degrees outside) but stalled in a few minutes and will not start. turns over fine I can hear the fuel pump priming but no start. i would guess an electric problem. i could use any help as there is no dealer near me to go to. i think we should get enfield to sell directly to us since all the dealer does is take your monry when you buy the bike and then wants nothing to do with it or you

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:32:09 am
Basic question:  do you have fuel?

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:38:37 am
someone is angry!!!!

sorry about your luck. it's problem not electric if you hear the pump turning on....I'm no genius though

try your kickstart......
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:23:05 am
Yah.  Fuel is the first thing to check.
The "low fuel" light is far from dependable and shouldn't be relied on.

A fouled spark plug would be another thing to suspect.
While changing the spark plug it would be interesting to use the kick starter to turn the engine over while looking for a nice healthy spark at the plug too.

With 3000 miles on it, a clogged fuel injector also could be causing the problem.

Maybe before removing the spark plug, turn on the ignition and let the CPU boot while the fuel pump runs.  Then, with the key still on, try to kick start the engine.
If it doesn't fire, then try the electric starter.  If it doesn't start then turn the key off and remove the spark plug.
All of this kicking and cranking should have injected enough fuel to give a good heady gasoline aroma to the bottom of the spark plug.  If there is no smell, either the fuel injector is plugged or there's something wrong with one of the relays or the fuses that powers them.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:02:08 am
Another possibility is you have a faulty side stand switch that has fouled up your spark plug.

CGP

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:10 pm
Thanks for the replys to answer your questions the bike has a new NGK plug, a full tank of gas which I know is good because i gassed up my other bike the same day at the same station. I by passed the side stand switch and it did not help.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 05:24:31 pm
With a temp of only 21 degrees, I would check on ice in a fuel line.  A bit of moisture in the past could be the cause of previous roughness.  Remove plug and move plug wire away from plug hole. spin engine with starter and check for fuel odor at plug hole.  If  no fuel odor, bike can be placed in a warm room for a time, it should start.   GA-DK

avandr

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:51:16 pm
I had some surging issues and went through a lengthy process of elimination, in the end I added some injector cleaner, after 20 minutes of riding issue disappeared. I noted the paint around inside of the fuel tank filler hole was blistering and some had dropped in the tank, this may have contributed.
Cheers, Adrian

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:48:03 pm
How much injector cleaner did you put in it? Sounds like probably too much. Drain the tank and put new gas in it. You will need to flush the lines and injector, using the fuel should suffice for that, but keep the spark plug out to keep from locking up the engine and letting the old gas, etc blow out. Check the plug and make sure it's still sparking. That means pull it out and lay it against the head with the lead attached and turn the engine over. You should see a strong spark. If not, replace the plug again. To make sure the juice is getting to the plug, just grab it and see if you can get zapped. Very effective.There is no doubt whether or not the ignition is working.
But since your problems started with the application of the injector cleaner, it would be a pretty good bet that's where the problem lies!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 08:38:32 pm
You can foul a new plug immediately.  It's the cheapest/easiest thing to check. It's happened to me so many times, it's always the first thing I try when having problems.  Even with brand new plugs.  I've lost many hours ignoring this.  Triple check.

Yet another area for you to check is your breather hoses.  Make sure all houses coming out of the engine are not crimped. They can get crimped going into or out of the catch can.  Check those for sure.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 11:58:30 pm
Bare-  I'm confused.  The OP didn't mention adding injector cleaner.  Only avandr did, but it helped in that case.  What is your advice regarding?