Author Topic: Sliiping Sound  (Read 3416 times)

blaisecardoz

• Scooter
on: January 03, 2013, 04:34:46 pm
I have Royal Enfield Electra 5s UCE. Recently, I have hearing very weird slipping (overriding) sound very loud from my left side of my engine. This happens usually when I have taken a few miles of ride and then stop at a place kill my engine and then when I use the self start the engine starts and makes a weird sound and engine stops working.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:37:04 pm
Sounds like the sprag clutch is going away. Learn to kick start it!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:45:29 pm
+1.  Get your battery voltage checked.  If it's getting low it can also cause slipping when starting, otherwise it's just the sprag gone bad and will need to be replaced.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:05 pm
+1
As I experienced myself, and many others, the stock sprag clutch is still a weak link. The replacement will be better. But won't be immortal.

Do try to kickstart. It's easy, it's fun, it's vintage, it looks cool.
When stuck in the mud then you may cheat. ;) ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:11:18 am
+1
As I experienced myself, and many others, the stock sprag clutch is still a weak link. The replacement will be better. But won't be immortal.

Do try to kickstart. It's easy, it's fun, it's vintage, it looks cool.
When stuck in the mud then you may cheat. ;) ;)

I only use the electric start on my B5 if it stalls in traffic or cute girls are looking (girls looking gives Enfields performance anxiety).

At home I bump start rolling down the drive in neutral and kicking up to 2nd and dropping the clutch just before the road. I then stop and let it warm up a minute or two before riding off. I have a long drive and can get up to 10mph or so giving me an easy start.

Otherwise I just use the kickstart. My B5 starts first kick on the center stand or after 2 or 3 kicks when sitting astride the bike.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:14:12 am by GlennF »

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:23:08 am
Everyone should have a drive! ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:43:28 pm
I  love my kick starter...use it all the time. It didn't start worth a crap with it  when it was new but once the engine broke in it was one kick only..

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:36:37 am
I  love my kick starter...use it all the time. It didn't start worth a crap with it  when it was new but once the engine broke in it was one kick only..

Well, that's encouraging...  sort of.  Mind if I ask how many miles before "broke in and one kick only"?

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:43:50 am
 Yeah , mine starts easily now with a kick. Maybe its coz I'm more in tune now, I dunno. Can I just take the starter motor off? Coz I'm still not sure about that shiny plastic cover.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 07:52:54 am
On second thoughts that's probably a dumb idea.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 10:05:52 pm
Mine's a one kick starter if it's above 60o, or the engine's warmed up. However, if it's cold, all bets are off.
Just got my sprag replaced on the G5. The original was definitely demolished! The rollers were ground flat and the cages were all broken up.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 01:09:01 am
Did you get to keep the damaged  parts?  It would be interesting to see a picture of them. :)

As for one kick starting, mine doesn't want to kick start if it is cold. 

I just got back from a hot rod/custom/collector car show and several of us watched a guy attempting to start his snorten Norton 740 Commando.
He give a mighty jump 5 times on his kick starter before it roared to life.

Although my bike had been sitting there for several hours I pushed the kick starter thru the compression stroke.  I turned on the ignition and let it boot up and raised the starter followed by one moderate push.  THUMP, THUMP, THUMP... :)
The other onlookers voiced their disappointment at my success.  What's a mother to do?  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 09:45:09 pm
Well kicking from just past TDC with the bike on the center stand standing beside it works for me even when cold. Sitting on the bike is a bit more hit and miss. The slight extra oomph you get kicking on the centre stand really seems to help.

These bikes do seem to flood easily though. First kick is best done with no throttle or enricher at all unless its really really cold. If it does not start after one or two kicks you will need to switch off the ignition and kick the engine over a few times to clear excess fuel before trying again.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 01:59:58 am
Did you get to keep the damaged  parts?  It would be interesting to see a picture of them.

Nope, I didn't get to keep them. Since it as a warranty deal they have to send the parts back to CMW. I didn't have my camera with me. I don't use those contraptions on my phone. I don't have any any to get a picture off!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

blaisecardoz

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 05:06:52 am
Sounds like the sprag clutch is going away. Learn to kick start it!
Bare

its happens sometimes when on nuetral and sometimes when I stop on hills and try to roll up the hills.