Author Topic: definitive 2011 g5 deluxe final drive chain non-oring replacement  (Read 6571 times)

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
3200 miles and the links they are a'kinkin'! any help?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:12:48 pm by no bs »
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:17:10 pm
Get rid of the stocker. Get a Tsubaki or DID.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:28:29 pm
thanks,i've been looking at the local cycle gear. all they have on the shelf are oring 530 chains. no clue what a RE MAY be. actually had one guy ask  "royal enfield? who makes that?"

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
thanks,i've been looking at the local cycle gear. all they have on the shelf are oring 530 chains. no clue what a RE MAY be. actually had one guy ask  "royal enfield? who makes that?"
hm, the Eicher Group... in the largest democracy in the world
 :o you no know that? how  :o
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Get rid of the stocker. Get a Tsubaki or DID.
Bare

+1.  A good non-o-ring 530 chain should only be about $35-40.  Replace it now before it eats your sprockets.

Scott

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Change to a  PREMIUM O-ring chain..before you trash the sprockets, like I did. What a pain in the ass to change. And get one with a clip master link. The riveted ones suck.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
If you go to an o-ring chain on the G5 you also need to get a larger front sprocket (18t I believe) for clearance issues.  The C5 can run an o-ring chain as is, already has the 18t.

Scott

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
tried to get munroe motors to install 18t sprocket and oring chain while repacing seal; they had it over a month and told me they couldn't source part. don't want to take the cover off while the warranty is still in effect. i can live with a regular old chain for now.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
I swapped from my C5 o-ring to a standard when mine died.  It was just $35 and a few minutes to change it.  Beats $100+ for an o-ring chain, plus the cost of a new sprocket and socket to remove/install it.

FWI, removing and re-installing the side cover is no big deal when you're ready to do it.  You will need to drain and refill the engine oil to do it.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
If you go to an o-ring chain on the G5 you also need to get a larger front sprocket (18t I believe) for clearance issues.  The C5 can run an o-ring chain as is, already has the 18t.

Scott
I have a stock o-ring chain from a C5 mounted on my E5 (which is identical to G5 and B5); still have the standard 17 tooth front sprocket.
I have no clue why it fits and works, against all reports that it can't or won't or whatever but here it is: it does and very well so for over 4000km as per now.
As shamelin suggested in another thread perhaps the stock o-ring chains differ from the usual o-ring chains. As said before I have no clue why but the experience that it works.

Just another proof of the mysterious ways the bullet works?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 02:54:45 am
The C5 chains have the thinnest o-rings I have ever seen, so they are the narrowest o-ring chains I've ever seen.  There is some variance in width between manufacturers for 530 o-ring chains, if its too wide it will rub the side on the case with the smaller cog.  The larger cog puts it up past that interference point. How wide is too wide?  Wish I had andefinitive answer for that ;)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:26:06 pm
The C5 chains have the thinnest o-rings I have ever seen, so they are the narrowest o-ring chains I've ever seen.

Those chains also have the thinnest metal I've seen on chains which adds to the narrowness. They are really cheapo chains. I can list more flaws, but I don't want to bore you.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 05:46:33 pm
+1.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 11:16:46 pm
So there it is, mystery solved.
Being my first o-ring chain ever I couldn't compare. Logical as it is I found it hard to merely accept that much difference between manufacturers.

Even when not as good as the competition, it does beat the stock non o-ring chain. 4000km plus, adjusted by just one notch of the camshells. Barenekd, I hope you're not thinking of safety issues?

Cheapo? I paid e49.50 which is 50% more than the non o-ring and I expect it to last way much longer. Will it outlast the pricier Regina I had in mind prior? Oh, choices... ::)

So I went for o-ring and holding on to the stock front sprocket, retaining the better torque.
Isn't it always a game of check and balances?

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 02:24:09 am
Anyone know how many links I need on a stock C5?
Thanks.