Author Topic: Twist Grip/Throttle Options  (Read 2623 times)

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 29, 2012, 11:11:12 pm
I'm wondering if anybody has any info regarding a twistgrip/barrel for the throttle that is faster, something like a 1/4 turn style, that will fit within the stock housing of an 01 Bullet? Or is a complete assembly swap out in order? :)

nymonzajr

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:11:48 am
I would think you will need an entire new housing.  A 1/4 turn throttle has a much larger diameter wheel where the cable hooks to than a regular throttle which is what makes it work faster.  Sorry I can't explained it better

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:41:46 am
If you have to swap out the internals of a throttle, why would replacing the whole thing be any harder?

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:30:13 am
If you have to swap out the internals of a throttle, why would replacing the whole thing be any harder?

If the throttle assembly of an 01  Bullet was like that of a dirt bike, or my 07 Benelli, one could just swap it out very easily. But the throttle is part of the switch housing which makes things a little more complicated. Probably something I'll have to live with I think.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:31 am
duplicate post, ooops  :-[
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:35:43 am by cafeman »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:00:39 pm
Oh, I thought the only thing on the right side was the kill switch. 

There's more?  If not, easy enough to put a separate kill on there while you've got it apart.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:11:23 pm
I have a Tommaselli quarter-turn throttle on one of my builds.
Just make your own cable ends.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:14:16 pm
Kill switch, headlight/pilot/tailight switch and starter button. One would have to swap out an entire housing with the wiring harness and/or do some splicing. Might be a project down the road, but for now it's on the back burner :)

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 12:15:30 pm
I have a Tommaselli quarter-turn throttle on one of my builds.
Just make your own cable ends.

Any pics of it installed?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 01:59:22 pm
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:23:33 pm by ace.cafe »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 02:30:23 pm
How does a 1/4 turn throttle ride on the street?  I was always figuring they were probably a little touchy.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 02:40:42 pm
Every modern streetbike, and even a 79 Bonneville I've owned had what I would call a normal ratio, either 1/4 or slightly more. I'm not used to the one on this bike, which requires some arm and wrist contortions to really open it up. But it is probably best for the slow speeds the bike operates at. Maybe it's just a matter of conditioning myself to stop wanting to pin the throttle all the time, like on sportbikes.... :P

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 03:16:13 pm
Every modern streetbike, and even a 79 Bonneville I've owned had what I would call a normal ratio, either 1/4 or slightly more. I'm not used to the one on this bike, which requires some arm and wrist contortions to really open it up. But it is probably best for the slow speeds the bike operates at. Maybe it's just a matter of conditioning myself to stop wanting to pin the throttle all the time, like on sportbikes.... :P

Well, I hope it does stop you from wanting to pin the throttle all the time, or else you are going to wind up with a pile of oily internal engine parts scattered across the road somewhere behind you.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 04:11:53 pm
I would like to have a quarter turn throttle as that is what I've been used to for the past 50 years. I don't like having to regrip the stock one. However redoing the switch assy is not on my to-do list.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 04:39:56 pm
Well, I hope it does stop you from wanting to pin the throttle all the time, or else you are going to wind up with a pile of oily internal engine parts scattered across the road somewhere behind you.

There will be no pinning of the throttle on this thing, that's for sure!
I just have to remember why I bought it in the first place.....to slow down and take it easy on the country backroads! Too many years zipping around on sportbikes, how quickly I forget.  ::)