Author Topic: B5 tank badge misalignment  (Read 23194 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 12:32:28 pm
...some double sided auto tape for mounting emblems and the like could sort this out in five minutes and put the emblem exactly where you want it.

Scott

I might just do that sometime.

Here's the emblem CMW offers, which they show without the red stripes:

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/metal-royal-enfield-wing.html

Note the screw holes.  A customer comments that they received badges with red stripes, but that paint stripper removed them.  I'm 99% sure my OEM badges have reflective tape stripes.  Oh well, maybe not tape, but definitely reflective - see the flash photo above!

And here's the striped one Hitchcocks offers:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-petrol#part_4377

It looks like there may be screw holes beneath the red striping in the appropriate locations, but they may stay hidden if anyone wants to tape one on.

Notice the difference in the center name plate of the different badges.  Mine matches Hitchcocks', and Gremlin's, and includes some of the splotchy gold coloring that Gremlin's shows, only mine isn't quite as bad.  Notice, also, that JVS's badge is different still...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 01:58:53 pm
My wings are the same as yours and Gremlin's. I just swapped the gold 'Royal Enfield' emblem with the old school 'Enfield' emblem which is of somewhat inferior quality as compared to the newer, better quality OEM ones. Rest is the same, including the reflective tape.

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 02:30:52 pm
Opinions here won't get you a new tank. Your dealer can submit pictures to the mother ship, upon approval, they will send a new tank to said dealer and you schedule an appointment for install. Good it's winter as it might take a little time to get the tank.
Me? I would have submitted the claim once the bike was uncrated. Shouldn't have made it to the showroom. That's how we roll.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 03:07:05 pm
Bulletwala sells some solid brass ones that look great, someone mounted them.  They take a little ersuasion to fit just right to the curve of the tank.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mY1vu-Y5GcXrkSpXQkbfRJw/140.jpg

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 04:38:03 pm
Opinions here won't get you a new tank. Your dealer can submit pictures to the mother ship, upon approval, they will send a new tank to said dealer and you schedule an appointment for install. Good it's winter as it might take a little time to get the tank.
Me? I would have submitted the claim once the bike was uncrated. Shouldn't have made it to the showroom. That's how we roll.

Of course not - it's just fun to gripe!  Anyway, I found another of my Kevin messages: "FYI we would be happy to warranty that tank as it is too far out of whack to suit me. The bikes are handmade and variations are part of what you are buying, but that is not "good enough" to suit me."  Pretty clear to me.

Tri750, if I was anywhere near you, I'd have been happy to buy through you, but we can't always be choosers.  The B5 was what I could afford, and the closest one to me was almost 6 hours away - I never saw it in a showroom (I test-rode a closer C5, and took a chance on the rest).  That dealer happened to be coming within three hours of me with a big covered trailer, and he offered to bring it.  I happily accepted, and to be honest, I didn't notice the badge until I got home.

You probably know that not every dealer "rolls" the way you do - good on you, and your lucky customers!

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 05:56:25 am
I always thought the B5(only) should have just the badge on black and not the pin stripes !
There I go getting Arty again!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 03:47:11 pm
The fellow with the white glove didn't do his final inspection right..I like the concept but the badge seems a bit large to fit inside the pin striping...3/4 the size would look better IMO...The b5 is a fine looking machine that deserve attention and proper sorting...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 05:55:56 pm
Lots of things on many of these bikes should be better sorted.  It's an Indian company, quality has never been top notch.  It's also a rapidly growing company and many of the US dealers are quite new to the brand.  These things all contribute to the quality problems we see.  Luckily, CMW does a good job of standing behind things.  I think things are always getting better but part of that is the feedback loop.  You've got to report problems to CMW and/or your dealer or they won't know.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 08:06:02 pm
........  Maybe I could get a $12 replacement and drill different holes to line things up?

drilling holes in gas tank ::: ill advised.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 08:12:05 pm
But drilling holes in the emblem would be easy.
Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 08:15:25 pm
But drilling holes in the emblem would be easy.
Scott

yeah, but .... not as fun to watch !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:20 pm
I meant holes in the badge, Gremlin, but if I dip into the Caol Ila beforehand and get confused, I promise to run my video camera...

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 05:43:49 am
The thin Bollywood badges are modelled on the original British '50s heavy chromed badges like the 1953 350cc model below ...

You can as Scotty says get brass ones from India and chrome plate them.

Personally I like the brass look and fitted Indian ones to my B5 "as is" and liberally sprayed them with ACF50.  Note that as with all things Indian they will not bolt straight on and will need some bending to fit the tank. Brass is brittle so take care !!!

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 11:23:37 pm
Based on both pictures by GlennF methinks the badges look better on a tank without pinstriping. Otherwise said a tank with badges and no pinstriping will still look good even when the brass would a little misaligned or inappropriately sized.
What dya say?
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 12:05:13 am
Based on both pictures by GlennF methinks the badges look better on a tank without pinstriping. Otherwise said a tank with badges and no pinstriping will still look good even when the brass would a little misaligned or inappropriately sized.
What dya say?

Probably.

It has never worried me as one of these days I will get around to fitting kneepads which will also overlap the pinstripe making the whole thing academic.

I definitely think replacing the thin tinplate badges with chrome plated brass ones will improve the look regardless of pinstripe.