Author Topic: B5 tank badge misalignment  (Read 23202 times)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:21 pm
I think this is a factory defect that should be covered under warranty.
 :o
opinions ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:37:26 pm
at least they spelled it right.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:53:35 pm
Gremlin-

Going back into "the archives", we find a thread I started which included (among many other things) a complaint about my right-side tank badge.

The thread is: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15139.0.html

My badge:

I've decided that I'm not bothered by mine.  But yours is worse than mine - if yours bothers you, I think you should pursue a warranty replacement of that tank.  Here's part of a reply posted in that thread, directly from Kevin, in response to my photo:

I looked at the badge and it is further out of whack than I would accept.

Based on that statement, I would think that if a warranty repair request for yours crossed Kevin's desk, he would approve it.  I would give it a try...

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:06:41 pm
 :o
And this is how it should like:

http://royalenfield.com/images/data/Gallery_Images/big/bullet-500-efi-black-right-side-motorcycle.jpg

from the official website
Wonder how this could pass the quality control especially assigned to exports.
I can't imagine how this could not be set right under warranty.
Crossing my fingers for you.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:23:18 pm
gremlin,
that stinks! i would pursue a replacement. nothing like paying for a brand new thing that isn't perfect.  drives me bat sh!t insane.

100% agree with you, and don't think it's the least bit unreasonable.
boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 08:28:53 pm
You want to get really freaked out == compare anything on one side of the bike with the other - nothin lines up  ::)
Dr B

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 08:34:14 pm
.....I've decided that I'm not bothered by mine.  But yours is worse than mine ........

It looks like yours is the same as mine, however, your pinstriping is not as high up the tank.
I think the mounting holes are level in the tank but not in the badge - perhaps these tanks were built for a different badge ?   

either way, I think it unfair to lay this on the acceptance of the machine.  How many people are able to identify all the flaws in a major purchase while being distracted by delivery chatter (up-selling of accessories and the service talk)  and final paperwork.  By the time one is finished with the delivery processes .....  it's naptime.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:59:52 pm
As most of the striping is done freehand its probably the stripes that are not surrounding the mounted badge properly and throwing the perspective off - the metal looks fairly even on the badge but the stripes are off ??
Dr B

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 09:13:13 pm
That is one of life's big mysteries - why is it only the right side of the tank that has the problem?  It's the same with some of the stick-on lettered tanks that have occasionally cropped up.  On my bike, the left side badge is a good 1/2 inch or more further forward than the right side badge - not just in relation to the stripes, but in relation to the front tank supports.  But then again, the tank is offset, presumably due to the fuel pump requirements, so I don't know what to think. 

I do know that before I bought my bike, enough people here assured me that there would be flaws in the fit and finish that I was expecting something like this - or at least not surprised by it.  So I don't know who should be the more shocked.  I've already owned, and sold, what many people say was, in it's day, the highest quality in motorcycles - I'm happier now.

Not that we should be footing the bill for this, but... NFG sells what looks like a replacement badge - minus the red reflective tape stripes.  It appears to have pre-drilled holes.  Hitchcocks has the same badge, but it appears to have the reflective tape stripes - and they may or may not be covering pre-drilled holes.  Maybe I could get a $12 replacement and drill different holes to line things up?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 10:36:34 pm
I've been eyeballing to and fro between Gremlin's picture and the model. Unless I need new glasses and eye surgery I'd say it's not just the brass that is slanted and misaligned but the striping is offset too and uneven (look at the underside where the stripes widen out). I'd say the tank needs a full make-over.
One must admit the curves of the tank make this work incredibly difficult; the more I looked the more grew my admiration for those who mastered the art.

It reminds me of that story of a painter. Famous for his fine work with acute attention to detail, he would blew it by adding his signature broad stroked, paint dripping, across the canvas. :-[
He was aging, this might have been an apprentice.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 10:46:12 pm
This is old news by now, but I never get tired of watching this guy hand-painting the stripes... no wonder they aren't all exactly the same!  But I wonder who applies the guidelines he's following...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTIMxeO_ng

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 12:06:04 am
gremlin,

Just get a new tank under warranty, and same with the wings. Mine are thankfully in the correct position, not a striking difference between the two if you have a look at them in flesh -

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 03:41:02 am
But now we have to consider warranty work - on the one hand, I understand how everyone has to cover their own ass, but I have to take my bike 4 hours to the nearest dealer I would even think about using.  If I could get a new and properly fitted out tank, I could easily replace it myself - but I was also assured by Kevin that warranty replacement parts are dealer-only.  Adds a certain sting to a decent warranty...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 04:38:46 am
Pursue warranty with your dealer.  If they're unresponsive contact CMW directly.  If that fails or if you're the DIY type like me, some double sided auto tape for mounting emblems and the like could sort this out in five minutes and put the emblem exactly where you want it.

Scott

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 05:05:25 am
+1 Scotty
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 12:32:28 pm
...some double sided auto tape for mounting emblems and the like could sort this out in five minutes and put the emblem exactly where you want it.

Scott

I might just do that sometime.

Here's the emblem CMW offers, which they show without the red stripes:

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/metal-royal-enfield-wing.html

Note the screw holes.  A customer comments that they received badges with red stripes, but that paint stripper removed them.  I'm 99% sure my OEM badges have reflective tape stripes.  Oh well, maybe not tape, but definitely reflective - see the flash photo above!

And here's the striped one Hitchcocks offers:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-petrol#part_4377

It looks like there may be screw holes beneath the red striping in the appropriate locations, but they may stay hidden if anyone wants to tape one on.

Notice the difference in the center name plate of the different badges.  Mine matches Hitchcocks', and Gremlin's, and includes some of the splotchy gold coloring that Gremlin's shows, only mine isn't quite as bad.  Notice, also, that JVS's badge is different still...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 01:58:53 pm
My wings are the same as yours and Gremlin's. I just swapped the gold 'Royal Enfield' emblem with the old school 'Enfield' emblem which is of somewhat inferior quality as compared to the newer, better quality OEM ones. Rest is the same, including the reflective tape.

Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 02:30:52 pm
Opinions here won't get you a new tank. Your dealer can submit pictures to the mother ship, upon approval, they will send a new tank to said dealer and you schedule an appointment for install. Good it's winter as it might take a little time to get the tank.
Me? I would have submitted the claim once the bike was uncrated. Shouldn't have made it to the showroom. That's how we roll.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 03:07:05 pm
Bulletwala sells some solid brass ones that look great, someone mounted them.  They take a little ersuasion to fit just right to the curve of the tank.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mY1vu-Y5GcXrkSpXQkbfRJw/140.jpg

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 04:38:03 pm
Opinions here won't get you a new tank. Your dealer can submit pictures to the mother ship, upon approval, they will send a new tank to said dealer and you schedule an appointment for install. Good it's winter as it might take a little time to get the tank.
Me? I would have submitted the claim once the bike was uncrated. Shouldn't have made it to the showroom. That's how we roll.

Of course not - it's just fun to gripe!  Anyway, I found another of my Kevin messages: "FYI we would be happy to warranty that tank as it is too far out of whack to suit me. The bikes are handmade and variations are part of what you are buying, but that is not "good enough" to suit me."  Pretty clear to me.

Tri750, if I was anywhere near you, I'd have been happy to buy through you, but we can't always be choosers.  The B5 was what I could afford, and the closest one to me was almost 6 hours away - I never saw it in a showroom (I test-rode a closer C5, and took a chance on the rest).  That dealer happened to be coming within three hours of me with a big covered trailer, and he offered to bring it.  I happily accepted, and to be honest, I didn't notice the badge until I got home.

You probably know that not every dealer "rolls" the way you do - good on you, and your lucky customers!

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 05:56:25 am
I always thought the B5(only) should have just the badge on black and not the pin stripes !
There I go getting Arty again!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 03:47:11 pm
The fellow with the white glove didn't do his final inspection right..I like the concept but the badge seems a bit large to fit inside the pin striping...3/4 the size would look better IMO...The b5 is a fine looking machine that deserve attention and proper sorting...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 05:55:56 pm
Lots of things on many of these bikes should be better sorted.  It's an Indian company, quality has never been top notch.  It's also a rapidly growing company and many of the US dealers are quite new to the brand.  These things all contribute to the quality problems we see.  Luckily, CMW does a good job of standing behind things.  I think things are always getting better but part of that is the feedback loop.  You've got to report problems to CMW and/or your dealer or they won't know.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 08:06:02 pm
........  Maybe I could get a $12 replacement and drill different holes to line things up?

drilling holes in gas tank ::: ill advised.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 08:12:05 pm
But drilling holes in the emblem would be easy.
Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 08:15:25 pm
But drilling holes in the emblem would be easy.
Scott

yeah, but .... not as fun to watch !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:20 pm
I meant holes in the badge, Gremlin, but if I dip into the Caol Ila beforehand and get confused, I promise to run my video camera...

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 05:43:49 am
The thin Bollywood badges are modelled on the original British '50s heavy chromed badges like the 1953 350cc model below ...

You can as Scotty says get brass ones from India and chrome plate them.

Personally I like the brass look and fitted Indian ones to my B5 "as is" and liberally sprayed them with ACF50.  Note that as with all things Indian they will not bolt straight on and will need some bending to fit the tank. Brass is brittle so take care !!!

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 11:23:37 pm
Based on both pictures by GlennF methinks the badges look better on a tank without pinstriping. Otherwise said a tank with badges and no pinstriping will still look good even when the brass would a little misaligned or inappropriately sized.
What dya say?

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 12:05:13 am
Based on both pictures by GlennF methinks the badges look better on a tank without pinstriping. Otherwise said a tank with badges and no pinstriping will still look good even when the brass would a little misaligned or inappropriately sized.
What dya say?

Probably.

It has never worried me as one of these days I will get around to fitting kneepads which will also overlap the pinstripe making the whole thing academic.

I definitely think replacing the thin tinplate badges with chrome plated brass ones will improve the look regardless of pinstripe.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 03:29:31 am
@ GlennF  thanks for posting the picture of the '50~ish bullet.  Notice the screws are not equal distance to the earth. 

However, on the current production, the screws ARE equally high up the tank wall, thus, the badge is mounted cocked upwards.

My dealer has offered to bring it in and address my issue, which is very nice.  But, I'm looking for community input - I don't want to create bogus expenses where none are due....  but, I'm also not happy with the misalignment.

Maybe all I need are a pair of winged badges kinda like these :::

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 03:31:32 am
This one would be awesome ....  if it were large enough to span the holes.....

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 03:52:29 am
The top one with the Royal Enfield + crown was used on the 1956, '57, '58,  G2, JS500 Bullet, 500 Twin and Super Meteor and others.

I guess skulls and such is fine for some people but I don't think they have the class that a RE 500 Bullet deserves.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 04:00:34 am
I have seen that top one as a sticker but I have not come across it as an enameled badge.

Perhaps Mr H has one in his catalog.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 06:52:39 am
I guess skulls and such is fine for some people but I don't think they have the class that a RE 500 Bullet deserves.

+1 agreed.   included for illustration only.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 05:03:31 pm
My dealer has offered to bring it in and address my issue, which is very nice.  But, I'm looking for community input - I don't want to create bogus expenses where none are due....  but, I'm also not happy with the misalignment.

Gremlin - I'm kind of with you on this one.  I'm on the fence about the tank badge misalignment repair, but I've got a dealer investigating the job.  I probably would not have even considered it, or worried about it, if Kevin hadn't been so vocal about how unacceptable it is to him.  Maybe jobs like this will hammer home the need for better quality control from the factory?  Dunno...

And I agree... that oval badge would be da bomb!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 05:06:05 pm
Also:

@ GlennF  thanks for posting the picture of the '50~ish bullet.  Notice the screws are not equal distance to the earth. 

However, on the current production, the screws ARE equally high up the tank wall, thus, the badge is mounted cocked upwards.

What about the screw holes on the left side?  That badge is perfectly aligned on my bike....

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 05:28:16 pm
Also:

What about the screw holes on the left side?  That badge is perfectly aligned on my bike....

same here ..... 
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 10:39:03 pm
Kinda makes you wonder why they don't mount the emblem FIRST then stripe around it..

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 10:45:14 pm
The badge is cool (maybe a bit gaudy but hey its from India). Still think its a bit large for the space..
Oh Magoo you done it again

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:20 pm
    In rereading this whole topic & looking at all the pictures again today I realized how much more I prefer just the words Royal Enfield on my '08 Classic tank in gold stick-on, clear coated over letters, even though they ARE a bit differently aligned one side to the other, than I do all these screw-on or stick-on badges.

But that's just me. I actually wouldn't mind having NOTHING on the tank.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 12:06:39 am
"But that's just me. I actually wouldn't mind having NOTHING on the tank."

At least if there was nothing on the tank you would be able to understand why everyone keeps asking, "Who made it?"  ;D

When they are standing there looking at the gold ROYAL ENFIELD on the tank and ask that same question I want to reply, "DAH, what does it say right there?"
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 12:12:55 am
At least if there was nothing on the tank you would be able to understand why everyone keeps asking, "Who made it?"  ;D

When they are standing there looking at the gold ROYAL ENFIELD on the tank and ask that same question I want to reply, "DAH, what does it say right there?"
;D ;D
Ok, right...
euh, who makes Royal Enfield?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 05:09:49 pm
Reawakening this thread, looking for opinions.  Think I'll find any?  ;)

The OEM badge has red stripes made of reflective red tape, which can be removed.  So... which tank badge?

with the reflective red stripes:

or without red stripes:

?? ??

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 23, 2013, 11:59:31 pm
There is too much gold to loose the red.
Without the red it looks like a failed omelette.
Less gold and it will be better without the red. Imho

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #45 on: March 24, 2013, 01:47:18 am
Without the red it looks like a failed omelette.
Less gold and it will be better without the red. Imho

;D ;D ;D

Who said anything about humble opinions?  Any kind are welcome...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 03:57:34 am
It sounds kinda mugwumpish but I like it both ways.

The red version is definitely "art deco" from the 1950's (which I like) but without the red stripes it seems to have a cleaner appearance.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: April 26, 2013, 09:58:40 pm
Time to put a cap on this thread.

After deliberating for months, comparing the "upgraded" badge options & what-not.  And finally, waiting for the EPIC WINTER OF 2013 to die.

My dealer fixed this problem with aplomb.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: April 26, 2013, 10:07:49 pm
Good for you.  8)

And now for the victory pic? ;)