Author Topic: Bullet G5 deluxe Saddle Bags mounting  (Read 4578 times)

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
on: December 24, 2012, 04:32:17 pm
I got my RE saddle bags the other day. Ordered the chrome brackets to hang the on. These brackets just barely fit and the install looks amateurish due to the fact that the front bolt on the top of the bracket will not thread in cleanly and is on an angle.

Does anyone know if the black bracket fits any better?

TIA

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 04:47:19 pm
 I installed the black brackets , P/N Z91158 on my G5 over a year ago. They bolted right on, no real problem. I do remember having to forcibly tweak them to clear the shock springs and make them parallel with each other. Other than that, no biggy.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 06:16:45 pm
Thanks!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:05:00 pm
The accessories are "hand made," more often that not....just like the bike.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:08:26 pm
The Chrome ones work and it gives a rear rack. The black ones are stronger, mount better, and very well made.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:16:59 pm
The chrome one with a rack on the rear that I bought had an interference with the rear turn indicators on my G5. :(

It does a good job of keeping the luggage out of the rear wheel though. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 10:44:20 pm
I am going to junk the chrome one. I was just out looking at it and it is pretty much a POS. Will get black one instead.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 03:42:39 am
The chrome one with a rack on the rear that I bought had an interference with the rear turn indicators on my G5. :(

It does a good job of keeping the luggage out of the rear wheel though. :)
Did you have the OEM turn indicators?

The chrome mounting got my attention because of the extra rear rack and it could better accomodate extra wide throw-over bags.

btw I too had to forcibly pull at the black ones. Although for one gas cylinder action came too late; it lives, be it in hiding. :'(

Picture illustrates real useful bags for groceries and camping gear (hold everything I need but for tent and sleeping bag).
May also look good given the Season. 8)
Merry days to all!
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 11:28:33 am
Nice - even the snowman on the roof can't take his eyes away from it!

Are there brackets that fit the B5?  Over the months I used them, my saddle bags have removed the paint from everything they touch.  I've heard that the B5's old bullet frame provides for lots more accessories and such, but I'm not seeing it.  There seems to be much more available for the C and G bikes...

Royalista, what's going on with your grips?  Are they shields?  Tell me more (PM me if you like)?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 01:23:11 am
Mattsz:
check out the thread "hand protection for winterriding" for another perhaps better view at the handguards. Singlemounted, so just wind protection but very fine at that.

The brackets will not fit B5 and although B5 might look a bit as C5 it definetely is not. Shares in fact much more with the G5 deluxe: dimensions, same wheelrims & tyres, fuel tank. It is 3kg lighter than C5 and 2kg heavier than E5/G5. I would describe the B5 as a E5/G5 deluxe with an original look, but different from C5. I suggest to have a look at http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/bullet-500/#!compare for all the details.
I'd like to add that to me the B5 'in the metal' (as vs 'in the flesh') looks far better than any picture I saw so far. Really cool. 8)
Duct tape or a lenghtwise slid tube fitted over a bar might provide sufficient protection to paint.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 04:03:47 am
Mattsz:
check out the thread "hand protection for winterriding" for another perhaps better view at the handguards. Singlemounted, so just wind protection but very fine at that.

I'll do that...

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 03:51:14 pm
I bought & installed the chrome Rack with the Pannier side loops to hold the bags away from the rear wheel.     Each of the horizontal cross rungs of the rack slide over smaller pipe stubs on the side pieces, the rear having tabs to screw sides to. I used JB weld to permanently mount all the cross rungs, while installing. I also made 2 mounting plates so I could use the rear Seat Rail with this Rack. The Rack is very strong, & good looking, it suits me & my purposes very well. I have carried a heavy top bag Bungied to it, & am working on bags over the winter months. I would recommend this Rack, especially if using different directional signals.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 11:52:24 pm
JB Weld should work nicely.
I used Silicone rubber RTV to 'glue' the tubes in place and keep them from rattling.

I also had to install two 3/8" long spacers where the two rear bolts are installed to minimize the interference between the rack and the turn signals.
I later replaced the big Japanese looking turn signals with the small metal bullets sold by Nfieldgear but the spacers were working so well at holding the rack together, I left them in place.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 02:52:18 am
The olive drab ones I got for mine are starting to stress crack at the mounting points, presumably from the vibration..time to MIG them..