Author Topic: eletric start problem!!!!  (Read 5492 times)

5th rohr

• Scooter
on: July 30, 2007, 01:44:33 am
On my 2002 Enfield the starter does not work I have to kick start it... The start makes a cracking sound but does not turn the engine over. The sound is like a loose wire  sparking...
Is the starter dead or do I have to adjust it some how or some Enfield trick to making it work again.
Thanks

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 02:12:42 am
Look at all the wiring, from battery to starter, see if anything is loose, or corroded. If loose, tighten, if corrodes clean and tighten.  Check your battery for charge - is the headlight bright, when you switch on?

aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 02:17:23 am
Would you explain the noise as a chattering sound?

Brother Rhett

• Bulleteer
  • I chase shiny objects across the internet.
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 10:48:34 pm
On my 2002 Enfield the starter does not work I have to kick start it... The start makes a cracking sound but does not turn the engine over. The sound is like a loose wire  sparking...
Is the starter dead or do I have to adjust it some how or some Enfield trick to making it work again.
Thanks

This problem was beyond me, so I asked Jim for help. Here is his response:

It could be a couple of different things:

1. The starter solenoid relay could be bad or the battery has become weak and won't pull the solenoid closed to engage the starter.

2. There have been a few failures of the Sprag clutch on ES bikes. This is an expensive fix, how expensive depends on how much has been damaged.

It would be best to take it to your dealer for a proper diagnosis and repair.

I hope this information is helpful!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:50:31 pm by CMW-Rhett »
What wouldn't you not do if you didn't know you wouldn't fail?