Author Topic: A little Birdie Told Me....  (Read 2914 times)

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
on: December 21, 2012, 05:36:05 am
Had an interesting conversation with a gentleman who owns/runs a near by motorcycle shop.  Apparently Polaris has brought into RE's parent company.  Anyone heard anything about this?
Ton Up!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:48:46 am
Yes, but it's more like a "joint venture" with a lot of money involved.
I don't think it is an actual "buy in" into the RE company.

I haven't read exactly what they plan to do, but I would surmise that Polaris wish to work with RE in getting the Victory motorcycles distributed in India, and perhaps even be made there.

I suppose it's possible that there could even be some name-swapping between these brands, or even some joint bikes being made. Part Victory and part Royal Enfield.
Who knows?

I did read one unsubstantiated comment on the web that RE has abandoned their twin-cylinder effort, and perhaps if that is correct, this joint venture might have something to do with that. Maybe they want to make a V-Twin Royal Enfield with a Victory V-Twin engine in it?
We'll have to wait until more info is available to know for sure what's going on.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:51:42 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 03:31:07 pm
I read something similar in a mag although they didn't mention the Victory engine speculation...I actually like the extensive victory line up...Everything is in the 13 to 30k market..Could they fit a freedom  106/6stage vtwin in a enfield type frame for around 10k .....Nah, they'RE not thinking anything that radical.... :oGM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:35:46 am
It's with the parent company and is about ATV's not bikes.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 03:13:28 am
That's what Tim kinda indicated when we were talking, but he said that he still has hopes that it might trickle over to RE.  He's a Victory dealer, but he has a real soft spot for Royal Enfields and other Brit bikes.  He really hopes that it might open up things a bit more for the US market as well.  Who knows what will happen.
Ton Up!