Author Topic: omitting Starter Motor  (Read 2507 times)

mypvtidho

• Scooter
on: December 18, 2012, 04:02:20 pm
I've searched the site, but got TOO MUCH INFO not specific to my query.
 2006 Classic. I kick start only and have removed the wires and solenoid. Now I want to permanently remove the starter from the bike. Can I just unbolt it, plug the hole, and leave the sprag and stuff alone and intact?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:09:27 pm
You can do that.
However, the sprag clutch may not stay intact if you leave it in, because it can still be damaged.
If all you want to do is take off the starter motor, then yes, just plug the hole.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:12:22 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:50:33 pm
many have done this. the hole can be covered with an expanding drain plug if you aren't worried about looks. I suppose damage could occur by leaving the sprague in but to the best of my memory it hasn't ever been reported. Next time you have the primary off, go ahead and pull the inner primary then that little plate where the starter mounted, that's where you can pull that gear cluster and be done with it.
            - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

mypvtidho

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 06:21:06 pm
I like the motor plug idea.
So the starter motor does not hold anything in place. How can the sprag be damaged if left in there? Wouldn't it be the same as leaving the starter in but never using it? I'm just trying to figure an easy and reliable way to ditch the starter motor.
I was worried about removing the gears as I don't know if anything in oiling or oil flow to the engine is affected. Does anything need to be plugged or bypassed? The manual was not very clear about this, but did mention lining up certain parts for oiling when re-assembling the sprag clutch.

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:05:55 pm
I pulled mine off about a month ago. The starter is an entirely separate entity from the sprague clutch assembly. My sprague clutch had failed and I did not want it left in there in pieces. If yours is still in tact it is OK to leave it there for now. Removing any of the e-start mechanisms will have no effect on the bikes oiling systems. I have a wood lathe and made a 2 piece plug for the inner case electric motor opening out of a section of dogwood and then painted it black. So anyone you might know with a wood or metal lathe could fix you up pretty quick.
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:57:07 pm
Hi Fellow Bulleteers:
My 2004 Bullet 65 had 3 sprag failures. Needless to say, it is no longer in my bike. Upon investigating inside the primary, I found that the drive gear is in direct contact with the crank shaft. Leaving the sprag cluster in the primary means that cluster of gears is spinning every minute the engine is running.  I didn't want the risk of more gears breaking teeth and dropping metal chips in the primary. Some may have avoided this but my sprags failed while I was riding, not when the bike was being started. I also wanted to remove the ugly hump on the inner primary so I got the kit from Hitchcocks and replaced everything, to include the inner primary and gears etc. There is some drilling and tapping of the side of the crank case. It was nerve wracking but I was able to complete it successfully. No more sprags, Better bike balance and best of all, the bike is almost 25 lbs lighter. As the Brits would say,  "it works a treat"

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.