Author Topic: 2014 cafe' racer  (Read 10421 times)

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 02:01:47 pm
is the gear changer still on the left hand side

Been a while, turn signals became mandatory in 1971 or so, left hand shift mandatory in '75-'76. I think it's been long enough to forgive the lawmakers and move on, but that's just me.
I've had 20 some Brit bikes over the years, right shift, left shift, and my '71 Norton Commando was right side shift, AND up for first gear. Imagine having a garage with a Japanese bike, that Norton, right shift Triumphs, and 1 left shift Triumph. Kept me alert!
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 09:35:30 pm

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 01:14:22 am
I read some where on the forum the usa price for the cafe racer is around the $7300 mark. I'd class that as an out right bargain.
I'm pretty sure when that bike arrives here in oz ( I've already placed my order for one) and seeing the classic chrome sells for $9500 on the road - there won't be much change out of $12k  for the cafe racer.
Will be interesting to see how far I am off. You might think impossible but I know quite a bit about cars and sale.
for example your top of the line twin turbo bmw z4is a  bit over $50 k your way - here the same car $120k
Same with the porsche boxster and the mustangs.
the 2012 shelby gt500 sell here between $200k and $265k - and another for $420k now that's a laugh!
In fact everthing and anything the gov and the dealers can get their hands on that moves to make a handsome profit
so i've been told near xmas next year for first delivery so it's now just wait and see.
so a happy/merry xmas to all, have a great festive experience and bring on 2013

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 10:31:40 pm
@ROYALISTA....
Of ALL the manufacturers I think RE Is right on with getting into the cafe racer THANG. They should be at the fore front. There are sooo many bandwagoners i.e. Guzzi, triumph, that dont have the soul their old bikes used to have. Riding a triumph now is kind of like riding a honda. AND they are assembled in  Thailand(retro models) and still cost a fortune.
Only think I see RE blowing it on is the price. Everythings just gettin too high.
Thats my 2 cents.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 10:41:51 pm
Agreed!  RE seems to be the only bike with real retro feel, not just the look.  For those that want the look, so be it.  I'm no snob and I can appreciate a retro look with thoroughly modern mechanicals, it's still cool.

I agree on the price.  REs are a touch pricey for what they are mechanically.  You're paying a bit for the soul and feel of the bike and there are only so many customers looking for that combination. 

I would say the cafe has the looks to score a higher price, but it's pushing farther into the zone where there are many other bikes that can be had for the same price or less.  They don't have the looks and soul but if it's the same price you're still competing.  I hope the new bike really does put out 36hp.  That and the fact that it really does look 100% retro with no modernized bits will help even the playing field a bit.

Scott
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:58:03 pm by Ducati Scotty »

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 05:48:28 am
Thx Scotty, I thought from the get go if they priced this thing at even as high as 6995.00 They would have a home run.

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 12:07:12 pm
The rollers on the UCE crank run directly on the crank pin. The crank pin seems to have some sort of surface hardening.
From experience we've seen that if the crank pin is starved of oil (driving off too soon, too hard in cold weather), once a slightest amount of wear happens on the surface, the pin goes for a toss very soon.

One hopes they do something about that crank before they throw another 9 HP at it in the cafe racer. If it really makes 36 HP at the crank, then perhaps we should expect about 30 at the wheel.

For me the exciting thing is to be able to cannibalize all the parts and adapt it to my cast iron bullet. Best of both worlds.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 12:49:46 pm
I think everyone is depending on RE to make it properly.  It's an expectation.

I am just waiting for the release and subsequent tests, because I really have no way to know if they are able to hit their claimed performance criteria, or not.
From past history, I'd be more inclined to say "not", but this is a new model, and we don't know what it's going to do yet.

Just from a manufacturing perspective, I'd suspect it to be a "bolt-on" kit, which does not include crank mods.
The compression ratio is already as high as most available street fuels will allow, so I doubt that will be changed. The 535cc big-bore kit we already know will be on it. Easy to install on the production line.
Cams have been rumored, and that would be a distinct possibility with an easy installation on the production line. If they are going to have 36hp, then they are going to have cams in it.
The exhaust system will play a big part, and we have already seen that they have done something with that. We don't know what's inside it, but we can see that it's different. That should be good for a couple of ponies right there, as we have seen with the aftermarket UCE exhaust systems.

We'll just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:12:50 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 12:13:41 am
@ROYALISTA....
Of ALL the manufacturers I think RE Is right on with getting into the cafe racer THANG. They should be at the fore front. There are sooo many bandwagoners i.e. Guzzi, triumph, that dont have the soul their old bikes used to have. Riding a triumph now is kind of like riding a honda. AND they are assembled in  Thailand(retro models) and still cost a fortune.
Only think I see RE blowing it on is the price. Everythings just gettin too high.
Thats my 2 cents.
You speak from a moral vantagepoint and it is. Then again Royal Enfield already has the moral high ground, and the only to be in that position. It's gotta remain there.

I've always viewed a cafe racer as a personal thing (wrongfully?). A one man's struggle to accomplish a goal, well knowing there will be sacrifices but gratification too.

I have a friend who, when introduced to my humble Electra, promptly traded his Suzuki for a... Bonneville (with digital instruments, for crying out loud :o). He fell for the look but didn't want to give up on highways. So he rides his bonny as the suze: summer and highways only. To me he misses out on the heart of motorcycling, but the cafe racer might well be in his alley.

Summarizing: there is potential out there and a company that can deliver something authentic; when on moral high ground one is vulnerable, especially when speed is not one's forte.

When mounting current aftermarket racer kits one has the benefit of having two bikes. The price of the new cafe racer should be competitive with that.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 12:26:31 am
The true cafe racer is an individual's creation, but let's not forget what they were: an attempt to copy the speedy aspects of the race bikes of the day.  In that vein I see no problem with creating a production line bike that replicates that look and feel.  There's the V7 from Guzzi too.  Now technically it's not a cafe because it wasn't built in a shed by one person.  But if I had to describe it to someone who hadn't seen it I'd call it a cafe racer, and I think you would too :)

And remember, the reason to get a UCE is to remember what it was like in the old days (riding) without remembering what it was really like in the old days (wrenching) ;)  I'm ok with the whitewashed and more reliable version of motorcycle history.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 06:24:12 am
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 12:26:16 am
not to mention the gratifying sensation of riding a motorcycle across its full spectrum. ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 03:59:17 pm
Not sure if anyone saw this month but Cycle World has given a date and price to the Cafe.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/06/royal-enfield-factory-cafe-racer/

The standard 84 x 90mm Single has been bored 3mm to land at 535cc. A hotter cam and larger-bore Keihin EFI throttle body are fitted to suit. “It has about four more horsepower, so output should be around 32,” said Greene. The extra power and taller gearing should result in a top-speed boost over the 79-mph G5 we last tested (November, 2009).

An all-new, double-downtube frame features sportier geometry and a longer swingarm. Italian-made suspension is 
branded Royal Enfield, with a non-adjust-able 38mm fork by Gabriel and twin preload-
and-rebound-adjustable shocks by Paioli. The Brembo front brake setup has a full-floating disc. These changes and new bodywork help the 365-pound-claimed Café Racer achieve a 46-lb. weight loss vs. the standard C5 Classic. Expect the $7295 CR in dealers by August.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 07:18:26 pm
Saw that.  I was glad to hear the specific details of the cam and full floating front brake.  Neither was something I heard before or could discern from pictures.  Though I do recall hearing 36hp from the Long Beach show, not 32.  Either way, more than the current UCE for sure. 

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 07:50:33 pm
I'm still waitin'! Wish they'd get here!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com