Author Topic: 2014 cafe' racer  (Read 10419 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 10:48:44 am
Indeed. Higher revs is more vibration means more wear & tear, loss of bolts and stuff csq. more prevention & maintenance and less riding.
Every time I tested for the maxspeed (132kpu and 122kpu average on stretches of under 20kms) mother physics presented me the bill: taxplate holder falling off because of all three welds failing being the more amusing adventurette as it happened on a busy crossing.
In the longer run I associate high vibrations with decreased life expectancy.
Are those also issues that have your interest or are they factored in in an inherent trade off (more speed vs less life)?

Let there be no misunderstanding: I follow with interest what you're doing and appreciate your method and efforts. It's not because it ain't my cup o'tea I can't be supportive. Although I would appreciate it if there was someone out there, just like you, working with the same gusto on the adventure qualities of the bullet. ;) ;) ;)

Well, one of the things that we found out about the vibrations is that it varies from one bike to the next. It comes from how well the factory built the crank. On the Iron Barrel Bullet, we found that some were okay, and some were not. They all benefited from having the crank really true, and the vibrations almost completely went away.
On the UCE, as with the AVL also, the cranks are built first, and then the end shafts are ground to be "concentric". It appears that this also has its variances, and some UCE and AVL bikes vibrate more than others do. These cranks are not available as separate parts anymore, but must be purchased as complete units.

A rev limit of 6000 rpm or perhaps a touch higher would be all that the stroke length would permit for street bike purposes anyway, because of piston speeds. But for those people who want to do The Ton, it would help to have those extra 500 rpm.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:54:18 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 03:31:25 pm
Vibrations vary from one bike to the next, got to agree. My 2011 RE B5 doesn't seem to me to vibrate excessively, but my standard of comparison is a 1978 Triumph Bonneville. The Triumph has a reputation as a rattle you fillings loose vibrator but they aren't all the same. Mine is not bad at all (and I've owned it for a decade so maybe I'm just used to it), although I have ridden other that had big time shakes. The factory crank balance is certainly the critical factor and I think I just got lucky with my Bonneville. Interesting to hear that the UCE RE is a similar situation, I'll have to ride another late model RE and compare vibes!
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 04:06:04 pm
Hello all! Been away a long time but news of this bike brought me back. Although they look good, neither myself nor my back have any interest in riding cafe-style.  I am, however, interested in the up-rated engine and the newer frame and suspension.  I note that a better seat is available but would want standard-height bars.  Anybody know if those will be available?

The optional seat is only better if you have a passenger. There is a solo cafe and a duo cafe seat. The two handlebars mentioned are the ones on the bike, and clubman, meaning lower still.
To convert a Cafe to a standard you would need your own seat, handlebar mount or top triple tree, non-rearset pegs, longer cables, brake line and extend the wiring.
Could be done though.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 06:18:38 pm
Those pegs aren't that far back.  If you just change to standard bars they may be fine, a bit aggressive maybe but fine.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 06:25:39 pm
The bars are pretty easy to change to anything you want, although it's possible you made need to change cables to the standard UCE model.
The seat may be a bit more of a problem, but you can always refoam and recover the stock pan.
Or you can use your standard UCE and get the cams, piston, barrel and head for the Cafe Racer.
Bare
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:28:34 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 06:26:38 pm
Is it the same crank/con rod in the 535?

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 06:31:42 pm

Cain't rightly answer that one! The stroke is the same, don't know about the rest.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 06:39:18 pm

Scott
No public spec has been released on the crank as far as I know, but I'd say it's essentially a sure bet that the cranks and rods are the same.

The UCE and AVL both have a steel rod and roller big end, so theoretically it should be sturdy enough.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 06:51:39 pm
I would think so too, just wondering if anyone had heard from a reliable source.

Then again, until I see a Cafe Racer for sale on the showroom floor I view all this info as 'subject to change', including everything about the 535 motor.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 10:09:11 pm
..........you can use your standard UCE and get the cams, piston, barrel and head for the Cafe Racer........

Things that make you go HMMMMMM ......
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 10:31:15 pm
And ECU and fuel injector.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 03:41:57 am
Well, I've had my order in for one since the prototype was unveiled with the Ohlins shocks. I've requested one of the first California models that can be squirreled my way.
Plan is to zoom over to Corbin in Hollister for a one-off gunfighter tall seat so I can actually ride it, the zoomy exhaust, and I plan on having a number of the silver painted bits polished. Patience....patience...
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:40 am
The bars are pretty easy to change to anything you want, although it's possible you made need to change cables to the standard UCE model.
The seat may be a bit more of a problem, but you can always refoam and recover the stock pan.
Or you can use your standard UCE and get the cams, piston, barrel and head for the Cafe Racer.
Bare

Standard UCE does not gain the rear disk brake. If your feeling particularly perverse you could use bits from a 2013 domestic market Thunderbird ...

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:40:43 am by GlennF »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 06:38:45 am
is the gear changer still on the left hand side

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 10:39:57 am
is the gear changer still on the left hand side

Yes, the silly rules are still in effect.
All gear changers must be on the left, as per bureaucratic decree.