Author Topic: Running light LED note  (Read 2153 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: December 17, 2012, 11:37:17 pm
A few weeks ago I put LEDs in the running lights (on each side of headlamp) on my G5.  I had used the W1 90 degree type.  Today I switched to the W4 32 degree type.  Much, much better.  I also moved the lamp forward, toward the lens.  The socket is a sliding fit in the rubber mount and mine were about as far back as possible.  Sliding them forward makes them much more visible from the side.  GA-DK

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:31:51 am
sounds intresting...do you have a pic??
this is one of the things i want to do.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:09:36 pm
Here are some photos.  The LED I am using is the same 4-LED type I have in the turn and neutral indicators, except for color.  I used white in the running lights and green in the two indicators.  I am not sure the photo of the neutral is good.  I will check and re-take if not.  GA-DK

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:17:55 pm
It came out ok.  The G4 type LED is a great improvement for both the turn indicator and the neutral indicator.  With the incandescent lamp, you do not want the heat of the bulb against the plastic lens and it should be push back.  With the LED, this is not a problem and the socket can be slid forward so that the LED is inside the domed lens rather than back in a dark hole.  This gives much better light to the side although not as much as out in front of the bike.  GA-DK

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:07:07 pm
thanks for the pic's.
that is a project i have to get on...after my fork oil replacement.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

Carlbryant

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:40:41 am
Here are some photos.  The LED I am using is the same 4-led bulbs type I have in the turn and neutral indicators, except for color.  I used white in the running lights and green in the two indicators.  I am not sure the photo of the neutral is good.  I will check and re-take if not.  GA-DK

Lights looks in good shape with nice brightness. From where you got them and how much price
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:41:36 pm by Carlbryant »

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:03:33 am
I got them from superbrightleds.com and the 4 led cluster was about $2.95 if memory is working.  The single led type is about a dollar each, but they don't put out as much light.  GA-DK