Author Topic: 2009 Enfield Bullet - winter riding?  (Read 1455 times)

JudiG

• Neophyte
on: December 21, 2012, 08:08:23 pm
would like to ride my Enfield 4 seasons and am wondering what viscosity oil I will need to use to accomplish this.  I'm in central OH, so it gets cold, but not mind-bendingly cold.    Also, does anyone have info about the heat range in the spark plug?  will that be a factor?  and... will I need to adjust the pilot screw?  If so, anyone know how far?

Thanks for your help for this brand new rider!

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:16:34 pm
I would think that the 20/50 would be fine and the standard plug would be ok. Just let it warm up more when cold.  You may have to change pilot screw a little.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 02:13:33 pm
I would think that the 20/50 would be fine and the standard plug would be ok. Just let it warm up more when cold.  You may have to change pilot screw a little.   ERC
Very good advice especially the warm up part. I've had no problems running 20/50 year round. One year a couple of winters ago I experimented with cutting the oil with 10/40 in 50-50% mix and the bike ran fine but since then I haven't bothered. As ERC stated, a good warm up for a few minutes and gentle riding for a mile or two before you wack open the throttle is a nice way to treat your bike.
About the plug. The "heat range" has nothing to do with the outside temperature. It refers to the working temperature inside the combustion chamber. That's a vast oversimplification of course but for this discussion the spark plugs heat range is irrelevant. Just use what RE tells you to use and forget it.
Chuck.
Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:17:44 pm by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 03:25:05 pm
I ride all year round when there is no snow/ice on the roads here in central Iowa.  I don't swap oil, just let her warm up real good before I take off. ;)
geichal

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 07:41:50 pm
 Cold air is denser air and mine needs some fiddling with the jets every winter to correct for the lean condition.

I run 10w40 in mine during the coldest parts of the winter and always let it warm up well before taking off.

It's also good practice to take it easy for the first several miles to give the tires a chance to warm up.

Out where I am it is cold damp and wet for six months out of the year. Condensation becomes a factor requiring a shorter oil drain interval in the winter.

FWIW riding year round whenever practical saves me between three and four thousand dollars in gasoline costs.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 08:07:56 pm
You posted in the Classic section so I assume you ride an "iron barrel"
That being the case you would be fine using 15w-40 diesel truck motor oil. I do in my AVL engine year round.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

JudiG

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 08:56:39 am
Many thanks, all!  Me and my 09 Bullet 500 (with an Inder sidecar!) will enjoy our winter riding, now. :D