Author Topic: Found foriegn body in timing case!  (Read 2517 times)

Eric911

• Scooter
on: May 28, 2008, 08:13:32 pm
I found a little puller (old Toyota factory service tool) suitable for the removal of the main bearing shells from the cases, and pulled them. Behind the timing side case bearingwas a piece of curved steel wire that I am convinced is a piece of valvespring! I'd definately say this has been opened up before, because I can't see how a 1 1/4 inch long piece like this could migrate from the head to the main bearing. It won't even come close to slipping through a pushrod tube. Both my springs are intact so I don't really know what to think, but I have a theory. The bike must have broken a spring early in life. Someone then took off the head to replace it and went ahead and pulled the barrel to decarbonise. I'm guessing at that point the little intruder fell unnoticed into the crankcase and got into the main, pushing it out into the crank wheel. Then the main came apart, the inner race sliding out to the case and eroding it. The lack of a locating bearing allowed the oil pump gears to move apart and strip. Then it really tore things up. This all happened at once; I was just riding along and it went to knocking. I feel now I found the real reason for the failure and don't have to wonder anymore. Any thoughts? Anyone ever seen this before? I doubt it but thought I'd ask. I'm going to the shop to see about getting my case welded and re-milled, so I'll bid you all good day and see you later.
Big singles rule

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:13:32 pm
I broke an inner valve spring on my 99 early on. It still ran OK but had a little jingle in the top end. It broke right in the middle so none of the pieces went anywhere though.
I bought a set of the heavy duty ones from CMW and never had that problem again.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57:04 pm
Your theory sounds feasible and at least you know why it went 'pop'. Good luck with the repair work!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Eric911

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:25:05 am
Yes, I think while I'm down a set of the performance springs would be a great idea! Thanks for the thought. That would be a perfect compliment to the dome piston I will be going back in with. I'd like to get this engine up in power some; my '82 Honda CM250 Custom will just flat outrun the Bullet with me on it and I'd like to have it the other way around. The Honda is said to be 25 crankshaft horsepower. I'd think the piston, a good silencer, and proper jetting for the combination will do this nicely. Not to be a hotrod, just run good. Perhaps a Brooklands style silencer? I always thought these looked so cool on a British bike. Sure would sound unique! If it pulls good I'll go up one tooth count on the front sprocket for some top end ease. Ah, big plans for next summer...    ;)  And thank you for the good luck wish, I'm gonna need it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:22:42 am by Eric911 »
Big singles rule

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:18:43 pm
Would you have a picture of the offending artical? Thats pretty bizzare stuff.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Eric911

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 02:35:54 am
I have a cheap little camera and I will try to figure out how to get a pic up. Odd little piece for sure I'm still not quite certain how it got "in there" but it sure was!
Big singles rule