Author Topic: The All New Musket 998 is alive! First startup video is up!  (Read 4955 times)

bulletwalla

• Scooter
HULLO there folks!
It's finally alive!
Take a look:
http://youtu.be/E1Y2BuZ9TBc
Sorry, couldn't have made it sooner, between the day-job and this, it's been 80hr weeks for most of this year, going nuts with gas fumes and shop coolant.
Many thanks to Tom and Chumma for their help in sorting out last minute tuning issues! The great chat with Tom gave me a *much better* understanding of intake cam timing. My approach was to get the cam-lobe peaks (max. lift point) correctly oriented, but stock cams have just enough variation that the moment it *opens* may be off by a tooth even if peak lift position is correct!
Just a quick note about the frame mod- this bike has a stretch of only 2.5", made possible by a custom curved downtube - wheelbase is approx. 56.5", only 1" longer than the Vincent.
Working on completing the rest of the bike, will have ride videos coming next.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:46:14 pm
Beautiful machine and sounds great too! :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:43:43 am
Your one talented guy Aniket.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 03:04:34 pm
Congrats, Aniket!
Glad to see and hear it running!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:51:47 am
That is the most compact and beautiful 1000cc motorcycle you will ever see.

Superb.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:05:07 pm
WOW... That looks and sounds great!  I bet that would break the TON at Bonneville! Mitch

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 10:27:29 pm
The video almost makes me cry.  It is one thing to think up a project and quite another to actually finish it.

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 02:37:57 pm
An impressive feat! That machine should be rather torquey I'm thinkin'.   8)
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

bulletwalla

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 05:32:30 pm
Thank you so much for your kind words! I truly appreciate and value the encouragement and help I've received on this forum.
Now- to pain and suffering. the wiring on my test mule is driving me BATS! All sorts of murderously random cutting and splicing which is so confusing because I really can't tell which of it it came like that or was done by previous owners! The sealed beam headlight has a grey triangular rubber sealed connector and the wires from it don't look like anything on the diagrams. Same story with the alternator...red and black and whatnot end up with another different looking connector from which emerge the typical 2 violets and yellow and orange...took all weekend to sort it out  :'(
Close to taking the first spin round the parking lot, need a seat on there to avoid a burnt-out butt :-)
THanks again!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 05:22:54 am
You know, I wonder how well one of these would fit in the "Norley" Featherbed-style frames made for Sportster engines....  Hmmmm.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 11:50:35 am
You know, I wonder how well one of these would fit in the "Norley" Featherbed-style frames made for Sportster engines....  Hmmmm.

Not sure.
But the Vincent engine fit in the regular featherbed frame, with some special engine mounts added. Maybe this one might too.
The issue that I see is that this Musket has a wet sump with a prominent sump protrusion downward and toward the timing side. That isn't likely to fit down thru the frame cradle, and so that might cause the whole engine to need to sit higher. That could cause an issue with the fit.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 08:37:16 pm
Aniket, magnificent product and time well spent. Any idea when the cases will be available for sale? And have you thought about the price? Cheers, Cyrus.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

bulletwalla

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 01:15:34 am
Hi there Cyrus,
Many thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!
I can get rolling on making the first small test batch as soon as I've put some hard miles on it to ensure things are good. Ice on the roads and temps in the 20s are thwarting that plan as of now but seems like next week may see 40. Brief ride around the parking lot was an absolute blast- she surprised me! Pulled real hard right off idle, feels light, turned quick thanks to the shorter wheelbase, think this is as close to a Vince as my average ass will ever get.
Price...have to admit, have been deliberately avoiding/postponing discussing that issue. It is really tricky to figure out for a small niche product like this- that sweet spot where the maker can keep the business going, given the costs of low volume, made-to-order production, the time and effort invested and involved, yet also offer it at a price which the intended market will bear. Carberry were sadly forced to close their doors a few months ago. Even though this motor will be quite a bit lower in price, I have no illusions that life is unpredictable and it may or may not work out...hence I still haven't quit the day job :-)
If I have Kevin's permission and approval, this is a really good time for me to solicit the input of anyone on the forum who is seriously interested and could spare a few minutes and send me a private message here or through my website and let me know the ballpark they would be willing to play in. If asking for this input is not ok on the forum, please let me know, will gladly remove request.
Briefly, let's tentatively describe the kit as completely machined set of cases with main bearings installed, custom two-rod rebalanced and trued crank installed, cams installed and timed with dial indicator, pumps, ignition installed and timed- basically, the bottom end, ready to bolt on the top ends and trans. Plus, other random tidbits needed for the build.
This would be very useful in giving me some idea of what direction to take.
Many thanks in advance.
Aniket

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36:07 am
Aniket I would believe that some of your sales would also include some custom builders. Most custom v-twin bikes use S&S motors. I would think that some builders are chopping at the bit for something unique. Pricing out your motor in comparison with a S&S twin would probably get you in the ballpark. On the S&S website they sell replacement parts. If you go to the vintage big twins in this section and click on lower ends you will find some pricing.

How much work to modify ones Bullet to accept this beautiful v-twin of yours?

Good luck with your pricing. I'm sure you will find that magic price point.

Brad
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII