Author Topic: New member question....highest mileage?  (Read 1331 times)

scdano

• Scooter
on: December 13, 2012, 01:56:31 am
Hi, I'm a new member here but a long time motorcyclist. Over 30 or so years I've had BMW, Cagiva, Husky, KTM, and Ducati bikes. Also, in my scooter stage I had Bajaj scoots along with my Lambrettas, so I'm somewhat familiar with Indian two wheelers.
Anyhow, I just picked up a 2001 Bullett 500 and I'm thrilled with it. I have to say that I've never had anything quite like it. I bought it from a BMW mechanic friend with 18K. He's done the top end with new valves, guides, etc. and proper maintenance as required. So......what are some high mileages you guys have heard of for iron cylinder REs? Just looking down the road, cause I plan on hanging on to this one. Thanks- Mike
'72 Kawa G390 Cafe'
'68 Honda CB350 Cafe'
'93 BMW R100RT
'06 Yamaha FZ6
'01 Royal Enfield Bullett 500

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:41:24 am
Depending on how you ride it, you might get around 75-80 mpg.
If you ride at normal speeds of about 50-55 mph, and don't get happy with the throttle around town, and have a good tune-up, you can probably get around that much mileage.
That's for a 500.
Most 500 Bullets will get a little less than that, and some get down in the 60 mpg range.

The 350 can do better, probably around 90 mpg.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

scdano

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 12:11:46 pm
Thanks ace.cafe. Actually I'm trying to get info on high mileages on the bikes, as in total number of miles traveled on a  single bike. With 18K miles on mine, I'm just wondering where it is in it's expected lifespan, with proper maintenance. My current airhead, an R100RT, has 56K miles and I'd consider it just entering middle age.
'72 Kawa G390 Cafe'
'68 Honda CB350 Cafe'
'93 BMW R100RT
'06 Yamaha FZ6

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:14:25 pm
Thanks ace.cafe. Actually I'm trying to get info on high mileages on the bikes, as in total number of miles traveled on a  single bike. With 18K miles on mine, I'm just wondering where it is in it's expected lifespan, with proper maintenance. My current airhead, an R100RT, has 56K miles and I'd consider it just entering middle age.

Oh, sorry.
The Iron Barrel Bullet is not traditionally a bike that has high mileage lifetime expectations.
It's more the type of engine that you rebuild every 20k-30k miles, and that's how it keeps going. It's not the kind of bike that is expected to last to high mileages on the factory engine build.
There are some that have seen 50k miles or so on the factory engine build, but they are not the typical.

They are pretty easy to rebuild, so it's not that big of a deal to do it more often than other bikes.
You can make them last much longer than the factory engine if you don't use factory parts when you rebuild it. If you use high quality parts, you can get much better longevity out of it, especially in the bottom end.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:16:30 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:29:16 am
 Hi Mike,

Would this be the Bullet that was at a small enthusiast m/c shop on Laurens Rd in Greenville? I'm near Gaffney and recently checked that bike out. I'm getting a black 01 hopefully to be delivered next wednesday/thursday.
Lorin

scdano

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:01:17 pm
Yeah Lorin, this is that bike. At least it's one of them. There were two at Touring Sport, just up the road from RPM. Mine was the BMW mechanic's bike and the sales guy had the other one. I own a bicycle shop in Greenville, Sunshine Cycle Shop (www.sunshinecycle.com). I've already put a couple of hundred miles on it in the last week or so. Most of it up your way in Spartanburg county. Get in touch if you get a chance.
'72 Kawa G390 Cafe'
'68 Honda CB350 Cafe'
'93 BMW R100RT
'06 Yamaha FZ6