Author Topic: Epic New Years Eve  (Read 2072 times)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
on: January 02, 2013, 03:33:27 am
The Three Bulleteer's set out to have another epic ride on Monday, to meet up with The Southern California Norton Clubs someteenth annual " Run for the Roses" in Pasadena. Unfortunately we were down a rider, Bare's bike wouldn't start. I met Steve, known on the forum as bikesnob to the rest of you off the 210 freeway at 0800 sharp. His C5 was gleemimg in the morning sun sporting a brand new Hitchcock's Goldstar silencer. Damn that bike sounds good! We headed for the short ride to meet up with the 200 to 300 riders in Pasadena. We arrived pretty early but there was already maybe 150 bikes lined up on both sides of the street. The majority of the bikes were British sprinkled with usual Italian, German , and Japanese flavors, waiting for the 1100 start of the run up Angeles Crest Highway. We had coffee and checked out the bikes then got tired of waiting and decided to head up the mountain at about 1000. We knew it was going to be cold up there with lots of snow but never expected the road to be in such poor shape ! The road was covered with patches of ice in many spots and the further we went up the mountain the ice turned to snow ! What saved us was that a snow plow truck must have gone through earlier and scattered some grit down for traction and that was exactly what the Enfields needed to make it up to Newcombs Ranch, the club ride destination. Steve and I hung out a Newcombs waiting for the waves of riders to show up . An old picture perfect BSA Goldstar showed up as did an old Triumph that quit running 100 feet from the ice covered parking lot. That was it. After a long wait came the hardcore Norton riders, maybe 20 of them and that was it ! I guess the rest of the riders didn't want to brave the cold or just lacked the spirit of adventure that some of us have. Steve and I left and went an alternate route to Wrightwood because of the poor road conditions further up the crest from Newcombs. We rode down Upper Big Tujunga Canyon to the Antelope Valley in search of warmer temperatures and clean roads and never found it ! We still had to ride through the ice and snow in patches coming up the desert side of the mountains into Wrightwood the roads were worse than on the crest ! Covered in snow and ice and cars sliding on the road. What was amazing was even with the slippery mess the Enfields just thumped through. Steve and I passed countless people playing in the snow that looked at us with a WHATS WRONG WITH THOSE GUYS stare with a few that waved and seemed to cheer us on ! We slid in a few places but maybe should of crashed a time or two but motored on determined to get across the mountain to our homes and a hot shower. We made it to Wrightwood but had to stop for awhile to warm our gloves on our motors. We left Wrightwood and headed down the mountain into San Bernardino where I waved good bye to Steve. We did it. We made it. The last time I had that feeling was quite along time ago after crossing the finish line on tough National Enduro. That sense of accomplishment. A great feeling brought to you by Royal Enfield !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:54 am
Glad you made it thru the gauntlet! :)

I can appreciate the satisfaction you felt but that looks too cold for me to be riding in.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:34:12 pm
Nice work, considering you did this by choice and knowing there were probably warmer roads South West.  But where's the adventure in that?  Sounds like it was fun.

What's wrong with Bare's bike?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:41:07 pm
Yep boggy, it was indeed a blast. Bare's bike has a busted sprauge and floods using the kickstarter. Knowing Bare, the bike wont be down too long !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:40:50 pm
Oh wow - didn't know that the sprag was an issue for EFI bikes too.  Bad news.

I would have bet it was the spark otherwise.  Every time I've had a starting issue, it's been a fouled plug.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:10 am
On one of the rides we went on last month, the engine quit at an intersection and kicked back. There was a terrible scrunching sound. I knew it was the sprag and didn't really expect the bike to start again, but it kept working for a couple of more weeks. It finally gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago, but the shop and CMW has been closed for the holidays, so I couldn't get the part, but it is in now and I'm taking the bike down there maybe tomorrow. They should have it fixed before next weekend, in time for the next club ride.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:49:47 pm
Great write up Jack, wish I had seen it earlier, it was quite the adventure, thanks.
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin