Author Topic: my 80 mpg run usa style...........or 100 mpg down under  (Read 1825 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 11, 2012, 11:03:10 pm
A few days ago i fill up the tank on my C5 and took off on a 225 mile or 360 kl run. Taking into account a couple of rest stops, lunch and the terribly windy conditions  i was away in total for about 5 hours.
As usual the bike performed really well and handled the run beautifully. Temperature wise it was roughly between 20 to 30 degrees Celsius.
Average speedometer cruising was in the region of 95 to 105 kph.
I was by myself so this way just a straight out enjoyably day cruising the land so no doubt if you got into it - economy would differ/suffer.
Only mods to the bike are the hitchcock's efi muffler and short style windscreen.
Now I managed 320 kl before the fuel light blinked for the very first time under brakes and by the time I arrived back in the home town the fuel light was glowing at the 360 kl or 225 mile mark. I immediately filled up at the same servo and recorded the following data.
road trip
360 Kl or 225 miles travelled
2.77 US gallons or 10.5 Litres of fuel used on the trip.
80 mpg USA or 100 mpg Australian

In the old days prior to metric we had 4.5 litres to the gallon against your 3.7 to the USA gallon

Was this a one off run. Not really! Bike has now done 3000kl and i got a similar reading a few weeks back at 2000 kl when i told my mate i got 98 mpg. So it can be done.
Later i plan to do this same trip another 2 time. Hopefully one day without the wind and another with out the windscreen on the bike.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 03:59:05 am
Glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip. :)

Your fuel mileage is about the same as mine while I was traveling from Payson to Flagstaff and back to Payson.  That stretch of that trip gave me an average of 78.5 mpg (USA) and it was done with my windscreen attached.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:43:09 pm
Very nice, and good to know that UCE 500 REs are capable of getting a mileage such as yours. I haven't gone over 75mpg or 32km/ltr yet. I'm sure the windscreen does play a positive role in both you and Arizoni's RE mileage.

Good stuff  :D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:26:43 pm
You did two things to improve the fuel economy of the bike.
You increased the volumetric efficiency by improving scavenging of the remaining exhaust gases in the cylinder by using the less restrictive exhaust system.

You improved the aerodynamics slightly with the short windscreen.

Both of which allow a slightly smaller throttle opening to get the same power.
Hence, better fuel mileage.

Many people think that increasing performance automatically causes lower fuel economy, but that isn't always the case. There are performance increases that can improve fuel mileage, as seen here.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 05:48:33 pm
Back when I first got my C5 and was really babying her I was regularly getting an avg of about 75mpg.  Now that she has broken in etc and I am a little more apt to really ride her I see about 65.  I should see what it will do with the fishtail on...
Ton Up!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:18:38 pm
I can still bust the  75+ mpg mark by using half throttle and keeping the cruising speed at about 60 mph. That's still fast enough to generally keep ahead of normal traffic on the roads that allow such slow riding. But, take a cruise down the freeway and all bets are off!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 03:00:10 am
 :D

I'm very happy today. I finally achieved 78MPG on the B5 today. Whole trip was about 300.3km/186.6mi and I put in 9.05litres/2.39 US gallons of fuel, almost till the brim. (Left little space for expansion etc)

About half of the trip included highway riding at approximately 55-60mph of comfort and fun.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:35:45 pm
This bike sounds like it gets about the best fuel mileage out there. My Buddy 150 scooter did usually about 74mpg, with some highway riding, but I didn't even want to take it out for any distance ona  two lane highway. The Vespa I will, but even broken in I am doing about 64mpg which is nice. The s40 which is the other bike I am looking at does about 60 mpg. Good, but not as good as this. I suspect it will have more on the top end though.