Author Topic: Wiring, connectors and HT leads Oh My!  (Read 5188 times)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:43 pm
...................It seems to know the engine temperature and adjusts the fuel/air ratio to keep from fouling my spark plug..................

As long as your sidestand switch is disconnected.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:00 pm
As long as your sidestand switch is disconnected.

+1!!!

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 08:06:42 am
The ECU is junk?  :o

Umm...  if that's so, why are so many people pointing us prospective buyers towards the UCE bikes?

The Indian market ECU is junk, I cant comment on the Euro spec.

That's a good question.

The junk ECU on my bike starts it without frinkeling with the choke or tickler even on a cold morning.
It is giving me fairly consistent fuel mileage of 69-79 mpg.
It self adjusts itself for altitude when I ride around at 1200 feet or 8000 feet and anywhere in between.
It seems to know the engine temperature and adjusts the fuel/air ratio to keep from fouling my spark plug.
It helps the engine put out over 6 horsepower more than a Iron Barrel or AVL without hesitation when the throttle is snapped open quickly and the engine is allowed to rev.

Pretty crappy if you ask me.   ;D

Indian market

Couple of things here...

The IDM ECU is open loop and has been remapped by the factory several times.  The export ECU is closed loop and has had no such issues.  Remember that some of our members are in India and they do have legitimate problems.

I agree with Arizoni, my bike starts first time every time regardless of ambient and engine temps and never runs rich or lean.  It runs and responds smoothly in all riding conditions I've been in on the street.  That kind of reliability and consistency may not qualify as 'performance' in everyone's opinion but it's what most riders need most of the time.

Does it get the best performance from the rest of the motor?  No, it's programmed for a compromise of usability and meeting emissions standards.  Can it be easily remapped?  No.  Is it, along with the fuel injector, up to the task of easily providing gobs more fuel that may be needed by a highly modified engine.  Don't think so.

The stock ECU for export models seems to do a very good job of running the stock bike/engine for most riding conditions a rider would experience.  I only recall reading about one failure.  Just because it won't easily tend to the care and feeding of the hot rodded engine you dream up doesn't make it junk.

Scott

I don't think I'm asking too much from the motor, I don't want a high reving, balls to the wall, right on the limit motor,

I want a motor that makes its power more in line with its capacity, (hell, other long stroke 500 singles pre WWII were making 50% more power than the UCE)
A motor that runs on stock, or as close to stock internals without sacrificing longevity
I want a motor that doesn't misread the engine RPM above 4500 and spike as high as 12000
I want a motor that with no dealer support, can be easily serviced, maintained and tuned in my garage
And if I need to sacrifice the EFI to get that, then that's what I have to do.

I'm really confused why as soon as the issue of power comes up, everyone seems to get their panties in a bunch. I'm no Enfield purist, the two reasons I bought the bike were style and price

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 11:53:27 am
Wokka,
In your situation, there would be no problem with going the carburetor route.
The people here in the US are in a different situation, and they like what they are getting from the export ECU/EFI, and don't want a carb.

But, if YOU want a carburetor, so you can get what you want from the bike, then you can put one on. It's YOUR decision what you run on your bike.

The ECU will still limit you to the rev limit in terms of rpms, by the ignition control. But to rev higher than the rev limit might require some other mods to parts which that limiter is protecting right now. So it will have to be a more "overall" type of approach than just a carb.

If you want to discuss the applications for a carburetor while still retaining the ECU ignition functions, just email me and we can talk about it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 12:05:31 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 01:29:12 pm
..........The people here in the US are in a different situation, and they like what they are getting from the export ECU/EFI..........

I'm fairly confident that we'd all like to raise the torque curve above 4000 rpm.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5