Author Topic: B5 noise  (Read 4780 times)

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 06:48:08 am
Check that little brace from top of the engine to the bolt holding the tank. If that has snapped, it can cause that sound when the snapped ends sway to and fro into each other.

Mine snapped and I fashioned a new brace from 2mm steel. Sounds nice and tight afterwards.

Goodluck
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 08:00:25 am
mattsz
well i did a 360 klm or 225 mile run today. here in oz we run in litres which equal 4.5 to an imperial gallon.
i ran the 360klm or 225 miles for 10.5 lites of fuel or about 2.3 gallons
in imperial measure this get me very close the the 100 mpg mark or the magic ton.
today i ran 325 klm before the fuel light gave its first blink while under brake. my average speed reading was around the 95 to 105 kph mark.
my bike a c5 is totally standard apart from the hitchcock's efi muffler and a mini windscreen. i think the windscreen helps fuel economy quite a bit.
run took about 5 hours in total in 25 to 30 degree celsius heat- had a few stops. from the moment i got on the bike there were very gusty winds through out the whole trip.
so on a better day my fuel run could have been better,
regards

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 03:27:51 pm
Here is the fuelly overview for the 20 RE B5's registered.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/royal%20enfield/bullet

looks like a fairly even spread from 42 to 83 MPG.   so, 60~ish is about right.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 03:50:04 am
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Before I even posted the video I checked every bolt, nut, and screw I could find on the bike and tightened them down.  I've read enough of these posts to know that these bolts are not to be trusted.  Hell, I've even lost a few myself- these single thumpers just shake 'em loose.

So tonight I started up the B5 in hopes of targeting the source of the noise a little better.  Wouldn't you know, the sound is completely gone.  I even took her out for a few miles to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and she's thumping along just like old times.  Good news for me- hopefully it was just one of those weird things that left just as quickly as it came and will never show itself again.

One one hand it's not very intellectually gratifying that I couldn't get to the bottom of the noise, but I'll take that disappointment over the disappointment from expensive repairs and lost bike time.  If anything else turns up, I'll keep you posted.

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 04:16:33 am
we listened to video at break at garage the consenseous is that it could possilby be internal exhaust noise something loose  in muffler exspecially if you still have orignal exhaust.

Dan