Author Topic: Removing chain for cleaning?  (Read 1968 times)

02Electra

• Scooter
on: December 02, 2012, 07:44:49 am
Hello gents,

I intend to remove the drive-chain to give it a thorough clean up. I've been doing the in-situ cleaning for a good number of years now, but i feel it'll be best to have the chain out and then clean+lube it. I use Motul Chain Lube.

Any pitfalls i need to be aware of when re-fitting the chain? I don't intend to remove the rear wheel. Just unclip the master link, take the chain out, then "snake" it back in. Sounds like a plan?

The bike is a 2002 Indian Electra with the "correct" ;D left sided (when sitting on the bike) chain drive.

Cheers.
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:39 am
It is considered good practice to replace the split link rather than reuse the old one.

That said, it was common practice for sixties bikers to regularly remove the chain for immersion in noxious heated lube. I don't suppose they replaced their split links every time but I certainly wouldn't repeatedly reuse the same retaining spring clip for fear it might let go at speed.

Fit the retaining spring clip so that its closed end points in the direction of motion.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:48 pm
If you have an old chain that you've saved, you can attach the split link to that old chain, and use it as a pull-thru.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:19:45 pm
No need to worry about split links - we constantly vary chain lengths when altering the gearing on the Enfield racers for the different circuits they compete on, we even have some rear sprockets with the corresponding extra links and split links cable tied to them, for convenience. I have lost count of the times these have been re-used !
 B.W.

Edward

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:47:33 pm
An easy and clean way to clean the chain is to find a large plastic bottle with a neck large enough to take the chain. Half fill with paraffin(kerosene), insert the chain, replace the cap and shake. Better results are obtained if you have time to let it soak and replace any paraffin that becomes too dirty.
Regards
Edward

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:06:27 am
Many thanks for all the great responses.

Another one, am i looking at loosening the rear wheel so as to get the chain master link to re-fit? I'm wary of doing so just because i've never messed with those rear wheel adjusting cams before!

@Chasfield

Yes i've heard that boiling thing still being done here in Punjab, India. But maybe they've never heard of a proper Chain Lube!? I've been a happy camper since I switched to Chain Lube from Grease/ Gear oil and what not.

@Edward

Lots of time on hand as i rarely drive the Enfield these days. Yes i do plan to immerse it in diesel to break the grime , old Lube and REALLY clean it. I like the chain to be silent and a really clean chain with free moving rollers will be the first step to it.

Best Regards,
Sunny.
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

wpyle

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:46:16 pm
Good idea to use old chain ( if you have one )  to assist to reinstall, I had a heck of a time, had to pass a wire thru to pull.