Author Topic: LED results  (Read 1607 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: November 28, 2012, 10:24:05 pm
There have been quite a number of LED mentions on the forum.  At the risk of being redundant all over again,  will mention my application and results.  I got several LEDs from superbrightleds.com and just installed the first one and could not be happier with the results.  My turn indicator burned out and I replaced it with a BA9S-G4-32-12V.  i also got some single LEDs because the 4 LED type seemed larger, but they fit very well.  The intensity is much better than the original making the indicator much easier to see, even without looking closely.  The hardest part was getting the original with socket out of the speedometer.  I had to use long needlenose pliers and turn the black plastic sleeve on the back of the socket.  I plan to use the same type bulb in the neutral indicator for better viewing in bright sun light.  GA-DK

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:25:45 am
............At the risk of being redundant all over again.........

too late !  8)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:40 pm
Today I installed another BA9S-G4-32-12V in the neutral indicator lamp.  What a difference!  It now works like it should have when new.  Even in daylight, it shows up in peripheral vision.  I no longer have to lean forward and look down to see if I am in neutral.
I also installed a pair of BA9S-W-90-12V in the small lights on either side3 of the speedometer-headlamp unit.  They went from dim yellow to bright white.  From in front of the bike with the tribar headlamp on low or dim, these are much brighter and whiter than the headlamp.  They are smaller and actually put out much less light than the headlamp, but as a point of light, they are much brighter.  GA-DK

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:48:49 am
Glad you had good results.  I installed one of those SuperbrightLED bulbs in my speedometer.  It's too dim.  I think the problem is that the bulb is shorter and doesn't quite reach high enough to illuminate very well.  I have a Smiths replica speedo, and it takes a BA7.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:26:04 am
The G4 type LED puts out much more light than the original bulb and really makes the neutral indicator sparkle even in bright daylight.  In fact, I notice a bright flash when I am rolling to a stop and shift from 2nd to 1st and am just passing through neutral.  My next move will be to replace the stop/tail light and also put the same dual intensity LED on my sidecar.  It has a tail light, but no brake light now.  GA-DK