Author Topic: Hand protection for winter riding?  (Read 16202 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 10:35:25 pm
No ;)  I did not know they had them for the RE specifically.  I figured you'd need to get another model and adapt them.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 02:24:36 am
Ahh, now I get it.  RE specific deflectors.  I'd definitely be interested...

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 12:32:34 am
Well, these aren't RE specific, actually Acerbis, but working fine. And not to ostentatious, I believe.

They have a provision on the side for LED's, said the salesperson. Oh yeah, more electrics, that's what we need. ::)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #48 on: December 26, 2012, 04:07:40 am
Royalista-

Thanks for the reminder about this - I don't know how I missed your reply to this thread!

Acerbis lists many different bikes, but the shields all look the same - same photo used on their site, anyway.  Do you know which ones yours are?  I'm seeing them for over $100, and I'm seeing similar looking ones (same brand) for $25.

How do they attach?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: December 26, 2012, 09:57:55 pm
mattsz:
Mine are the 'universal hand guards, large size'. Small size is for pitbikes and mopeds. They are adjustable, ie coming with 3 inserts, each of different length, giving you a total of 4 sizes (0-3) plus combos. They are sturdy enough to ward off branches on a trail, so a little more than just wind deflection. All that might account for the higher price. I paid e85 which equals to a bit over $100 I believe.

They attach to the end of the handlebars, actually replacing the bar weights. No problem for me since I have aftermarket handlebars with higher ends to easy standing on the pegs for longer time.
You might want to check yours: if they are stock they probably have a ring welded inside. That would require some creative thinking to fit the guards.

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 07:29:07 pm
These look awesome, but oh my - $90!  Still, it's less than I paid for the basically useless TM gloves I now have.  Seller won't refund since they've been worn; I've got an email to TM but I'm not hopeful...
Hi Mattz,
What are TM Gloves?
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 08:05:58 pm
What are TM Gloves?

Tourmaster. I have a pair of their PolarTec gloves and they are quite nice down into the 30s. Sometimes my fingers will start to get cold, but just wiggling them around for a few seconds to get the blood moving, takes care of that.
They are supposed to be windproof and waterproof. The windproof, I can vouch for, can't say anything about the waterproof.
I very seldom get into below freezing temps. If I'm there, I'm more concerned looking for ice!
Bare
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:08:12 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 05:39:02 am
I'm using these wind deflectors, which attach via the mirror stalks:

http://www.amazon.com/National-Cycle-Deflectors-Clear-N5511/dp/B000GZXDUS

They fit my 2010 Bullet fine and do the job. I replaced the plastic bolts they shipped with (with ordinary bolts from the hardware store).

Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 12:11:21 am
Rich-

Welcome to the forum, and to riding your Enfield!  I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoy mine!  Well, more than I am at the moment, since it's under a sheet in the garage and we're getting pummeled by snow!

Do you have any photos of your hand grip wind deflectors?  I'd love to see a couple of shots from different angles to get a sense of what they look like and how they mount...

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: February 09, 2013, 12:43:32 am
Matt, here's a picture of my wind deflectors (this is the right handgrip, viewed from the rider's position):

http://richmintz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wind-deflectors.jpg

The fit looks natural and there's plenty of room for my fingers with heavy gloves -- I never end up touching the deflectors with my hands in normal use. I did replace the plastic attachment bolts with ordinary cheap metal bolts from the hardware store.

They jiggle with the vibration of the engine, but I don't mind that at all.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 01:21:46 am
Oh, also, Matt, I should say that on really cold days (standing wind chill below about 20 degrees F), I also use these remarkably effective handwarmers and toewarmers:

hand: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZF4OA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007ZF4OA&linkCode=as2&tag=ricmin00-20

toe: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZF4PE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007ZF4PE&linkCode=as2&tag=ricmin00-20

I use the handwarmers regularly, the toewarmers only on really cold days (I don't like having the lump in my shoe).

Disclosure: If you decide to buy some and use those links to do it, I earn a few cents, which I promise to use on motorcycle gear :-)
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #56 on: February 09, 2013, 01:55:38 am
Thanks for that photo, Rich!  It really helps to see how it mounts.  But which bolts broke?  Must be the screws holding the mounting plate by the two acorn nuts (seen here: http://www.nationalcycle.com/images/products/webimages/HDHOMN5502VT1100C2SABRE_600.jpg).  Sure wish they weren't so expensive, though...

As for the hand warmers, my problem all along has been my fingertips - if I wear gloves, I wonder if the handwarmers would help.  Mittens are another matter, though - just need to figure a way to keep the warmers in the correct spot...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #57 on: February 09, 2013, 02:03:11 am
There are moto mittens, also similar stuff for snowmobiles.  It's two and two fingers together instead of all four.  Not as bulky as a regular mitten but each digit gets a buddy to keep it warm.

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 02:25:01 am
Yes, exactly -- as supplied, the two bolts on each side that hold the clear plastic wind deflector to the metal mounting arm are plastic. Apply just a little torque to the wind deflector, and they snap. Ordinary hardware-store nuts and bolts of roughly the same size work fine and hold forever.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 09:55:37 pm
Incidentally, I waited a bit too long to replace the plastic bolts on one of my wind deflectors with metal ones, and wind torque ripped that deflector off the bracket this afternoon on the Long Island Expressway and blew it away. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement from the retailer, since their hardware failed in normal use in less than a month.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]