Author Topic: Hand protection for winter riding?  (Read 16238 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: November 30, 2012, 07:40:46 pm
Has anybody used either handlebar "mits" that gloved hands slip into? Or maybe hand protection shields, like on dirt bikes or duo-sports, that would act as a wind deflector?

I bought Tourmaster winter gloves, which feel good, but don't do a damn thing for keeping my fingers warm - and I hasn't been that cold yet.  I'm trying to stay away from anything electrically heated for the moment.

I have bar-end mirrors, which might preclude the mit concept - and anyway I think I would worry about having my hands "stuck" inside something...

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:57:56 pm
Scooter logic has some that work great for under $20.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:00:57 pm
Mattsz, Singhg5 had some on his bike . Shoot him a PM and maybe he can tell you all about them.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:39:47 pm
Get some scrambler hand guards than hook to the clutch and brake lever pivot bolts.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:52:31 pm
+1, or these that are more street looking:
http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/CoolWeather.shtml

If you just get the wind off your hands they'll be much warmer.  You won't even need heated grips.

Scott

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:13:49 pm
be careful of hippo hands.
if you don't have some kind of bark buster hand guard they tend to blow back and put pressure on the front brake, destroying the pads and warping the rotor.

if you want to go cheap i have heard of people using a 2 lite plastic jug or milk jug and zip ties.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:16:08 am
+1, or these that are more street looking:
http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/CoolWeather.shtml

These look awesome, but oh my - $90!  Still, it's less than I paid for the basically useless TM gloves I now have.  Seller won't refund since they've been worn; I've got an email to TM but I'm not hopeful...

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 12:45:05 am
I got a pair of mittens from Harley Davidson in the mid 60's and still use them if I am going any distance in  cold weather, but now I rarely have need of anything much more than good gloves.  When these were new, I drove a new Honda-450 in temperatures as low as 5F for distances of up to 200 miles and my hands were the only thing that did not feel like it would drop off.  Then are a long gauntlet type mitt of black leather with a short lambskin mitt inside.  The inner mitt has fleece on the inside and the cuff is folded over to form a good seal at the wrist.  With all fingers together there is much less heat loss.  I had no problem finding or using the controlls or switches on the bike.  At one time I had a long lace I could run across my shoulders and down my jacket sleeves and clip to the mittens.  That way If I wished, I could slip off a mitt and not drop it.  At that time, the bike was my only transportation and I was putting about 1500 miles per month on it.  Now I have other options, rarely use the bike after dark, and my bike mileage has dropped by a factor of 10.  GA-DK

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 02:04:55 am
Mittens beat gloves for warmth every time!  If the seller won't refund just put them on eBay for $10 less and get most of your money back.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 04:54:42 am
I have tried different types of gloves including electric gloves but nothing was as protective as the Quadboss handlebar mitts - that cost about $30 a pair. I wear Olympia winter gloves which fit inside the large handlebar mitts without problem. I love them for saving my fingers in the cold. Absolutely wonderful in cold weather like these days. I would not ride without them in winter. 

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/263/20508/ITEM/QuadBoss-Extra-Thick-Hand-Mitts.aspx

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:05:35 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 11:57:00 am
Thanks Singhg5!  I've thought that I might like to try something like those.  I'd have to figure out how to work them around my bar-end mirrors, though.  What a surprise - having to figure out how to make something work on the Enfield!

be careful of hippo hands.
if you don't have some kind of bark buster hand guard they tend to blow back and put pressure on the front brake, destroying the pads and warping the rotor.

I read Hippo Hands' warning on their site - I wonder why this "blowback" is a problem with their product only?  Or, are others just not talking?  Singhg5, have you had any trouble with wind pushing your mitts back into the levers hard enough to engage them?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 05:29:12 pm
Most mitts are meant for ATVs where they don't go 60mph. 

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 05:44:45 pm
Most mitts are meant for ATVs where they don't go 60mph.

Scott - you obviously haven't had any experience with our special species of Northern Redneck here in Maine, have you?  They shrink the gene pool on their ATV's every year.

But seriously, I suppose that makes sense.  I haven't done a whole lot of looking, but now that I think about it, I've only noticed mitts on two bikes - one is Singhg5's in his videos, and the other was a local Ural powered sidecar rig a local guy rode all winter, with studded snow tires.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 09:08:03 pm
Which Tourmaster gloves do you have?  I bought some super high end ones and they work well enough.  They also have a rain fly that pulls out of the cuff.  Took a lot of convincing myself to spend $125 for gloves, but I was tired of having frozen fingers.

There are some military split mitts made for motorcycle riding (I think for the Swiss military).  Split between the middle & ring finger so you can put 2 fingers on the controls. You can get from surplus stores online.  Haven't seen any lately, but those are great.

Of course the best way to keep your hands warm is heated gloves.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 02:48:12 am
LarsBloodbeard-

I have Tourmaster Winter Elite II Gloves:

http://www.tourmaster.com/product/Gloves/Winter_Elite_Glove/109/9

I paid right around $125 for mine, too, from Motosport.com.  I see now that TM is selling them direct for $109, "limited quantities" available, which tells me that they're discontinuing them.

My hand measurement fell between the Large and X-large sizes, so I ordered both.  The XL was backordered, so the large came first, and they were too small.  I sent them back, and soon the XL arrived, and they felt perfect - until I got them on the bike.

The thumb and 1st and 2nd fingers are a bit too short for me, so when I'm holding the grips, my fingertips are jammed uncomfortably right up inside the ends of the glove fingers.  Maybe this is causing the insulation to compress and be less effective.  All I know is that my fingers are too cold in them, even with the extra layer of nylon wind and rain blocking pulls-out-of-the-cuff fly, which TM laughingly calls a "polar cover", which makes no difference in how my fingers feel.  In temps well above freezing, way before I feel the need for a wind-blocking, sealable gauntlet, my fingers get cold fast.  Just as fast, in fact, as when I wear my uninsulated summer-weight gloves.  And I know, because I tried them both on the same 40 degree day.

Motosport won't take them back because they're "used", so I've sent an email directly to TM.  I've read in other forums that they don't respond well to customer inquiry; we'll see, I guess.  I will do what I can to get a refund.

They probably would be fine if I had them out of the wind (except for the discomfort of the finger jamming), but with wind-blocking I wouldn't need such expensive gloves.  Maybe I'll end up trying to sell them on Ebay as per Scott's suggestion, but if they're available new for just over $100, I'll probably take a hefty loss.  I guess that's the risks of internet shopping...

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 05:57:29 am
Thanks Singhg5!  I've thought that I might like to try something like those.  I'd have to figure out how to work them around my bar-end mirrors, though.  What a surprise - having to figure out how to make something work on the Enfield!

I read Hippo Hands' warning on their site - I wonder why this "blowback" is a problem with their product only?  Or, are others just not talking? 

Singhg5, have you had any trouble with wind pushing your mitts back into the levers hard enough to engage them?

No problem of mitts pushing on levers ever, even when I ride at 60 mph in the cold. I tie them loosely with some room for flexibility. The first time I used them, I felt a little constrained but very soon figured out how tight/loose to tie them and what is the best location to tie them so that I have free movement of fingers and accessiblity to controls.

In my experience, the electric gloves warmed the palm and upto middle of the fingers but the finger tips did not heat up well - there is uneven heat distribution in heated glove - that made them uncomfortable.   

The second problem with heated gloves is that if you leave them on FULL heat, they become too hot.  On the contrary, when heat control is set at any level below FULL heat, they become hot for a while and then cool off for a while - because electricity is turned ON and OFF for a fixed duration. This cycle of hot and cold keeps repeating. I did not like that either. I still have them but do not use them.

The biggest problem is the wind.  If you block the wind, a big part of the fingers going numb is solved. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:12:44 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 06:05:35 am
Those are probably the same ones I have.  I don't think theyre worth the price.  But they work well enough for me.  Nice leather and the squeegee is helpful. Never used the rain fly.  Even in the rain I haven't felt the need for it.

However, If your fingers are jamming against the tips that will make your fingers cold no matter.  There are nerve clusters at the tip of your fingers that if compressed will make them cold. Youre always supposed to have a bit of room at the end of your glove tips.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 01:48:44 am
I use handguards from Acerbis: single mounting, universal.
As single mounted no protection but they do what they're supposed to do: deflect the wind, which is the critical factor in stiffening the fingers.
The effect is significant. Since they're on the motor I can ride much colder temps and still have feeling in the digits.

For extreme conditions I carry in my pocket a carbonbox. It holds a charcoalstick that, when lighted, will heat the box for 6 hours.

I have no experience with mittens that attach to the handlebars. As windguard they're most likely most effective but I would feel uncomfortable having my hands stuck inside them in an emergency situation.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 05:17:35 am
As you might guess, I live in Iowa. Its cold this time of year, well normally, today's high was 50. Anyway, Check out hunting and camping suppliers. I had, lost them, a pair of Remington Camouflage clove that had some insulation but more importantly a goretex liner. The goertex is a windproof, waterproof membrane that is also water proof. Now, they were not very protective bing fabric and a leather palm. What I loved was the way the gortex protected from the wind. Normal size and comfort of a glove, but I could ride 50 or 60 mph and my hands did not get cold. I did have a windshield but it did not protect my hands from wind. Cost was around $30.00 us. Oh temps were 50 or lower.
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 04:56:13 pm
The gloves I bought were supposedly wind and waterproof.  Plus, they had an added supposedly wind and waterproof outer cover that could be used, which didn't seem to make any difference at all.  I think LarsBloodbeard hit the nail on the head; the fingers are too short, so when I hold the grips, my fingers are jammed up tight against the ends of the gloves, where they get cold, fast.  Either there's not much insulation there, or the pressure of my fingers compresses it so much that it doesn't do anything.  So I really need to figure something else out.

Also, I just got a call from Motosport.com - they're going to give me a full refund after all.  I guess I really can't buy gloves without trying them on, but I'd buy from Motosport.com again...

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 05:04:16 pm
Good deal !

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 05:37:37 pm
The gloves I bought were supposedly wind and waterproof.  Plus, they had an added supposedly wind and waterproof outer cover that could be used, which didn't seem to make any difference at all.  I think LarsBloodbeard hit the nail on the head; the fingers are too short, so when I hold the grips, my fingers are jammed up tight against the ends of the gloves, where they get cold, fast.  Either there's not much insulation there, or the pressure of my fingers compresses it so much that it doesn't do anything.  So I really need to figure something else out.

Also, I just got a call from Motosport.com - they're going to give me a full refund after all.  I guess I really can't buy gloves without trying them on, but I'd buy from Motosport.com again...

Nice!  I had the same fingertip issues with those gloves.  They were fine when I tried them on, but grabbing the grips made my fingers jam against the tips.  Luckily the local motorsport warehouse I bought them at has a good return policy, and I got a larger size.

If I was riding in sub-freezing temps I'd definitely grab a pair of mitts instead, and keep a stock of chemical hand warmers around.  I've got a Jon-E handwarmer (similar to zippo handwarmers) that I would sometimes stick inside my jacket to keep my core warm too.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 10:12:33 pm
from LarsBloodbeard:
If I was riding in sub-freezing temps I'd definitely grab a pair of mitts instead, and keep a stock of chemical hand warmers around.  I've got a Jon-E handwarmer (similar to zippo handwarmers) that I would sometimes stick inside my jacket to keep my core warm too.

Are these the hand warmers that are on sale at Hitchcocks? (check out under personal accessories/general). They are something new to me and I can't find any information on them. Has anyone?
They seem rather spectacular: they'll warm up to 50°C when you need it, just by a squeeze. And secondly when they're out they can be recharged by putting them in heated water. Reusable several times.
Looks too good to be true, but if it is, would suit me really well. So any one knows what the magic might be?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:28 pm
I had one of those many years ago.  It was rectangular instead of oval and it worked amazingly well!  Just a bag of liquid with the tab inside.

Click/bend the tab and the solution crystalizes and throws out tons of heat.  Just put them in boiling/hot water after they cool, the solution inside goes clear again and they're ready to use.  It's just a reversible  exothermic reaction. 

Still doesnt warm up your fingers if they're in your gloves but great if you stop to take a break and warm up.

Scott

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 05:34:43 am
from LarsBloodbeard:
Are these the hand warmers that are on sale at Hitchcocks? (check out under personal accessories/general). They are something new to me and I can't find any information on them. Has anyone?
They seem rather spectacular: they'll warm up to 50°C when you need it, just by a squeeze. And secondly when they're out they can be recharged by putting them in heated water. Reusable several times.
Looks too good to be true, but if it is, would suit me really well. So any one knows what the magic might be?

Those actually work fantastically well.  I've had quite a few of them over the years.  I was talking about the shake-n-bake style ones though (iron oxide).  Problem with the exothermic ones is I tend to get distracted when boiling them and wind up destroying them (not easy to do, but I manage).

How they work: I do remember some college chemistry, but don't quote me on this... Basically, when an element changes states energy is stored or released (notice when you compress CO2 into liquid the tank gets cold?).  Those hand warmers are made of liquid supersaturated with a type of sodium.  Store the heat energy used to dissolve the sodium by boiling it, then click the clicker to start a crystallization chain reaction (change of state from liquid to solid) and the heat is released.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 05:46:47 pm
........................ click the clicker to start a crystallization chain reaction (change of state from liquid to solid) and the heat is released.

Unfortunately, there are *MANY* things that will set them off; including vibration and thermal shock.  and when they crystalize they get hard like a popsicle - not really suitable for gloves.

I tried to keep one of those things liquid in my car (Minnesota drivers keep a party box in the car for use while waiting for the snow plow / tow truck) cold nights would set them off,  sometimes just a bumpy road would do.  So, now I pack those single use ones with the Iron powder in them.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

capecodinsomniac

• Neophyte
Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 10:34:26 pm
My hands generally get cold pretty quick, but I've had good luck with these:  http://shop.olympiagloves.com/4294-AVENTADOR-4294.htm

Only nitpicks thus far...wish wipe was on thumb instead of index finger.  Despite gore-tex, a 3 hr pouring rain will leave your fingers wet (but I haven't found anything that doesn't).

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 04:37:12 am
No personal experience but HELD gloves are advertised to be the best gloves (think they are from Germany and pricey)

http://stores.heldnorthamerica.com/-strse-Gloves-cln-Cold-Weather/Categories.bok
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 12:47:28 am
How about this diy project by a hardcore winterrider:

More tips can be found at: http://www.motorang.com/motorrad/winterfahrer_tips.htm

Larsbloodbeard
Jeese, college science has a use in daily life?
I felt so stupid. Of course, it's just a simple twist of state, like the old bard sings. I loved science class at college. Indeed, when a substance drops down a level of state it's got to shed energy, ie heat. Anyway, thanks for putting me back in college, short time or not.
I've been hunting and ordered some to try. If they do as advertised they would be as economic as a charcoalbox.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 03:09:09 am
That's awesome!  And may be the ugliest accessory I've ever seen.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 03:25:52 am
Don't all your boots have mirrors and turn signals, Scott?!?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 01:49:31 pm

looks like the work of RED GREEN
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 01:55:31 pm
Don't all your boots have mirrors and turn signals, Scott?!?

boot mirrors are customarily placed on the toe-tops (for not so obvious reasons).
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 03:34:12 pm
I wonder if they come in a size 11 ?

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 05:20:43 pm
I bought these FirstGear gloves for cold weather riding but they are too damn hot in 45+ degree weather.  35-45, and my fingers weren't cold.  The drawback is that the thickness makes me feel a bit separated from the bars so I tend to grip harder which gets tiring.  Really nice quality.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/903/32424/ITEM/Firstgear-Kathmandu-Gloves.aspx

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 05:31:20 pm
After all the Tourmaster bashing, I got a pair at the IMS Show for $25.00.
These are the waterproof, windproof type with a Polar-Tex liner in them. I wore them the other day in down to 40 degree weather and they seemed quite nice. My fingers got a bit cold a time or two, but just a bit of wiggling got  them warmed right back up. They certainly worked for me.
The fingers look a bit short, but mine are, too, so that part fits. They were comfortable enough to make me not aware of them at all. That's a good thing!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 05:41:13 pm

Haha, I love it!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 06:11:12 pm
boot mirrors are customarily placed on the toe-tops (for not so obvious reasons).

Not so obvious reasons?  Methinks you underestimate us!

You naughty boy...  8)

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 11:23:14 pm
I was in Paris last week.  I love seeing the way bikes are winterized there.  Mitts and aprons  Here is an example.  I wish we could get those aprons here.  I also have a great pair of old mits and they work in any weather.

SB
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 12:28:59 am
I was in Paris last week.  I love seeing the way bikes are winterized there.  Mitts and aprons  Here is an example.  I wish we could get those aprons here.  I also have a great pair of old mits and they work in any weather.

SB
Reads like a great incentive for a renewed city trip! ;D
My daughter used leg protection when still on the 50cc scooter. However she deems it unfit for use on the motoscooter, but that's more of a personal preference. Apron came from 'rad.eu'.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 12:39:50 am
I loved seeing those aprons when I was in Europe.  I always called them "scooter blankets".  They do double duty: keep you dry when riding, keep the seat dry when parked.

I had a friend who had obtained a complete steer hide and was going to make it into an apron for his large cruiser, just attach it across the tanks and to the engine guard.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 08:52:46 pm
I just spoke to the rep from National Cycle.  They're planning to have hand deflector shields soon, like in a week or so.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 09:48:34 pm
For our Enfields?  They have some listed already...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 10:02:29 pm
Well there you have it then :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 10:23:44 pm
Wait a minute!  Scotty, you pointed them out to me waaaaay back on November 30th, reply #4 in this very thread!  Are we going in circles?   ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 10:35:25 pm
No ;)  I did not know they had them for the RE specifically.  I figured you'd need to get another model and adapt them.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 02:24:36 am
Ahh, now I get it.  RE specific deflectors.  I'd definitely be interested...

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 12:32:34 am
Well, these aren't RE specific, actually Acerbis, but working fine. And not to ostentatious, I believe.

They have a provision on the side for LED's, said the salesperson. Oh yeah, more electrics, that's what we need. ::)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #48 on: December 26, 2012, 04:07:40 am
Royalista-

Thanks for the reminder about this - I don't know how I missed your reply to this thread!

Acerbis lists many different bikes, but the shields all look the same - same photo used on their site, anyway.  Do you know which ones yours are?  I'm seeing them for over $100, and I'm seeing similar looking ones (same brand) for $25.

How do they attach?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: December 26, 2012, 09:57:55 pm
mattsz:
Mine are the 'universal hand guards, large size'. Small size is for pitbikes and mopeds. They are adjustable, ie coming with 3 inserts, each of different length, giving you a total of 4 sizes (0-3) plus combos. They are sturdy enough to ward off branches on a trail, so a little more than just wind deflection. All that might account for the higher price. I paid e85 which equals to a bit over $100 I believe.

They attach to the end of the handlebars, actually replacing the bar weights. No problem for me since I have aftermarket handlebars with higher ends to easy standing on the pegs for longer time.
You might want to check yours: if they are stock they probably have a ring welded inside. That would require some creative thinking to fit the guards.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 07:29:07 pm
These look awesome, but oh my - $90!  Still, it's less than I paid for the basically useless TM gloves I now have.  Seller won't refund since they've been worn; I've got an email to TM but I'm not hopeful...
Hi Mattz,
What are TM Gloves?
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 08:05:58 pm
What are TM Gloves?

Tourmaster. I have a pair of their PolarTec gloves and they are quite nice down into the 30s. Sometimes my fingers will start to get cold, but just wiggling them around for a few seconds to get the blood moving, takes care of that.
They are supposed to be windproof and waterproof. The windproof, I can vouch for, can't say anything about the waterproof.
I very seldom get into below freezing temps. If I'm there, I'm more concerned looking for ice!
Bare
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:08:12 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 05:39:02 am
I'm using these wind deflectors, which attach via the mirror stalks:

http://www.amazon.com/National-Cycle-Deflectors-Clear-N5511/dp/B000GZXDUS

They fit my 2010 Bullet fine and do the job. I replaced the plastic bolts they shipped with (with ordinary bolts from the hardware store).

Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 12:11:21 am
Rich-

Welcome to the forum, and to riding your Enfield!  I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoy mine!  Well, more than I am at the moment, since it's under a sheet in the garage and we're getting pummeled by snow!

Do you have any photos of your hand grip wind deflectors?  I'd love to see a couple of shots from different angles to get a sense of what they look like and how they mount...

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: February 09, 2013, 12:43:32 am
Matt, here's a picture of my wind deflectors (this is the right handgrip, viewed from the rider's position):

http://richmintz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wind-deflectors.jpg

The fit looks natural and there's plenty of room for my fingers with heavy gloves -- I never end up touching the deflectors with my hands in normal use. I did replace the plastic attachment bolts with ordinary cheap metal bolts from the hardware store.

They jiggle with the vibration of the engine, but I don't mind that at all.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 01:21:46 am
Oh, also, Matt, I should say that on really cold days (standing wind chill below about 20 degrees F), I also use these remarkably effective handwarmers and toewarmers:

hand: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZF4OA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007ZF4OA&linkCode=as2&tag=ricmin00-20

toe: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZF4PE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007ZF4PE&linkCode=as2&tag=ricmin00-20

I use the handwarmers regularly, the toewarmers only on really cold days (I don't like having the lump in my shoe).

Disclosure: If you decide to buy some and use those links to do it, I earn a few cents, which I promise to use on motorcycle gear :-)
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #56 on: February 09, 2013, 01:55:38 am
Thanks for that photo, Rich!  It really helps to see how it mounts.  But which bolts broke?  Must be the screws holding the mounting plate by the two acorn nuts (seen here: http://www.nationalcycle.com/images/products/webimages/HDHOMN5502VT1100C2SABRE_600.jpg).  Sure wish they weren't so expensive, though...

As for the hand warmers, my problem all along has been my fingertips - if I wear gloves, I wonder if the handwarmers would help.  Mittens are another matter, though - just need to figure a way to keep the warmers in the correct spot...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #57 on: February 09, 2013, 02:03:11 am
There are moto mittens, also similar stuff for snowmobiles.  It's two and two fingers together instead of all four.  Not as bulky as a regular mitten but each digit gets a buddy to keep it warm.

Scott

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 02:25:01 am
Yes, exactly -- as supplied, the two bolts on each side that hold the clear plastic wind deflector to the metal mounting arm are plastic. Apply just a little torque to the wind deflector, and they snap. Ordinary hardware-store nuts and bolts of roughly the same size work fine and hold forever.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 09:55:37 pm
Incidentally, I waited a bit too long to replace the plastic bolts on one of my wind deflectors with metal ones, and wind torque ripped that deflector off the bracket this afternoon on the Long Island Expressway and blew it away. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement from the retailer, since their hardware failed in normal use in less than a month.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 10:50:53 pm
You were on the LIE today?  My mom and brother just got their street plowed yesterday.  They were snowed in since Friday.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 10:58:43 pm
This guy's hard core, Scott!

I hope you have some protection against the road salt, Rich.  Just one "application" on my bike definitely showed its effects...

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: February 13, 2013, 12:53:54 am
Scotty - I made it as far as Exit 37 in Roslyn. There was some plowed stuff in the road margin, but the roadbed is completely clear. Same for the side roads. It's hard to believe Long Island got socked in at all.

Matt -- I haven't done anything special for road salt. I'm going to wash the bike this weekend, then do some research re: protection (probably on this forum).
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #63 on: February 13, 2013, 05:58:58 am
My family is out at Exit 62.  They got around 3'.  After my brother shoveled the driveway the piles on the side were taller than his Honda Fit!  I heard there was much less near the city.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 01:16:30 pm
Scotty - I made it as far as Exit 37 in Roslyn. There was some plowed stuff in the road margin, but the roadbed is completely clear. Same for the side roads. It's hard to believe Long Island got socked in at all.

Matt -- I haven't done anything special for road salt. I'm going to wash the bike this weekend, then do some research re: protection (probably on this forum).

Hard core winter riders in Germany put lard on their bike. Then happily thump through the winter. Comes spring from under the hard compacted mass erupts triumphantly a shining untarnished motorcycle, as a phoenix, but out of snow and ice iso fire.
 ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #65 on: February 13, 2013, 07:22:56 pm
And it seasons cast iron pans!  Hooray lard!

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: February 13, 2013, 07:42:16 pm
but, do they use salt on the roads in Germany ?  and, if so, what happens to all that aged bacon ?  Do they scrape it off in spring and use it for Bockwurst ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: February 13, 2013, 09:34:15 pm
und zwei Bier
ein für dir
und ein für mir
 8)

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #68 on: February 13, 2013, 09:47:23 pm
Bier und Speck .... mmmmm
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

yogi bear

• Mr James Maurice Hill
  • Scooter
  • yogi bear and enfield outside garage
Reply #69 on: February 14, 2013, 03:31:26 pm
Has anybody used either handlebar "mits" that gloved hands slip into? Or maybe hand protection shields, like on dirt bikes or duo-sports, that would act as a wind deflector?

I bought Tourmaster winter gloves, which feel good, but don't do a damn thing for keeping my fingers warm - and I hasn't been that cold yet.  I'm trying to stay away from anything electrically heated for the moment.

I have bar-end mirrors, which might preclude the mit concept - and anyway I think I would worry about having my hands "stuck" inside something...
Mr James Maurice Hill

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: February 14, 2013, 03:37:29 pm
Yesterday I saw a pair of "Moose Mitts" on a motorcycle parked on the street in NYC.

Item pictured here:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IH0ciN6r5Lw/TrLhKoA26tI/AAAAAAAACg8/9xJP0F3VtFw/s400/P10008181164858267.jpg

Full page:
http://troubadourtriumph.blogspot.com/2011/11/cold-weather-riding-gear.html

They appeared to be roomy enough to accommodate the levers properly and to fit the bike, and I'm going to look into a pair.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #71 on: February 14, 2013, 08:01:15 pm
It would be pretty easy to make a small hole and mount your bar end mirrors outside.  It's much less frightening having your hands in them than you think.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 01:27:26 pm
Update, just for fun...

I was out and about down the coast to New Hampshire, and I stopped at all the motosport shops I could find on the way, and tried on gloves.  Most of them had the same fit problems for me as the Tourmaster - the fingers are too short for my hands.  They feel ok when slipped on, but when I tried them on a bike in riding position, the drawback was obvious - the grip pushing the body of the glove into my palm, and into the "valley" between my thumb and forefinger, drove my fingertips hard into the ends of the glove fingers, especially when I extend my fingers to grab the clutch or brake.

I finally found two pairs which felt nice, look nice, and with long enough fingers that no matter how I grip or stretch on the bars, there's still some air space left for my fingers.  They are Olympia 4150 gloves - US$95 retail, but the best price I found online is $70 including shipping, from speedaddictcycles.com.  But I won't buy gloves, or shoes, without trying them on, so I bought them from the Maine dealer where I sampled them; when I asked, he gave me enough of a discount and I'm happy to support them with a couple of extra bucks.

We'll see if they're warm on a ride...

Oh yeah, the second pair were heated gloves - very comfortable, and they seemed to heat all the way to my fingertips.  I think they were Gerbing's G3, but at about $160, I wasn't buying.  The specs claim 2.2 amps, 27 watt power draw - I think that would just about cancel out my incandescent-to-LED swap savings...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:32:20 pm by mattsz »

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 04:18:32 pm
Matt, for whatever it's worth, these are my everyday riding gloves, and they run long in the fingers, so long that I am occasionally annoyed by them:

http://www.bearwallowgloves.com/proddetail.php?prod=MC-GT-LD
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #74 on: March 11, 2013, 04:34:56 pm
Well, Rich, the price certainly is right!  But, didn't you also take a (admittedly epic) ride with the gloves and hand guards (well, one hand guard) and suffer cold hands?

I'm looking forward to trying these new ones out.  But you know, if the heated ones would work without hand guards, I'd still save money...

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: March 11, 2013, 05:15:55 pm
Yes, Matt, I did. Last night, though, I installed heated grips:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-warm-wrap-grips.html

They're the kind that pop on and off pretty easily (in fact I'm not bothering to route the wiring properly, just slinging it around the gas tank). And they definitely work, as I learned this morning.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #76 on: March 11, 2013, 11:04:03 pm
I like those!  Easy to install when you're using them, easy to put away when you're not :)

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #77 on: March 11, 2013, 11:56:18 pm
I guess everything is a trade-off.  I like how the Gerbings heat the top of the glove, which is where most of the wind is trying to get through and suck the heat out anyway.  Seems like heated grips are heating the wrong side of your hand.

But, the grips stay wired to the bike, whereas with heated gloves you've got to plug yourself in!  I don't know.  Do they keep your fingertips warm?  That's my biggest problem.  Also, the pic looks like they fit the "Battery Tender" style power plugs?  If so, that's one less accessory to wire to the battery!

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: March 12, 2013, 03:01:43 am
I don't know if they're standard battery tender plugs -- the prongs seem awfully long.

Incidentally, I fixed my battery terminal problem -- I went out and bought new bolts and a little hex nut that slips into the aperture on the side of the terminal, so everything is bolted up correctly. And now that it is, the battery seats properly and the plastic battery cover lock snaps into place.
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: March 12, 2013, 02:28:20 pm
I've only used heated grips on snowmobiles, but they are pretty cool.  However, my wife bought me these Tour Master cold weather gloves about 3 years ago and they rock!  The fingers are pre-curved to make holding on a little easier and causing less fatigue, and MAN are they warm.  I seriously can't wear them if it's warmer than 45 degrees F because my hands will start sweating.  But the fit is great, very warm, and extremely comfy.  She said she paid about $80.   Scottie

2001 Harley Davidson Road King

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #80 on: March 12, 2013, 04:18:27 pm
Okay, so I am a bit late coming to this thread, but here's my experience.

My other bike is a Triumph RIII, which I have put 100,000 miles on in all conditions. I have only about 5,000 miles on my RE so far, but they are climbing. Therefore most of my winter riding was done on my other bike.

I have heated grips, which are good, but warm only the insides of my hands. I purchased some inexpensive heated gloves and they warm the outside of my hands. With the grips and the gloves things were better. However, the cheap gloves died every season - but were replaced under warranty - so I replaced them with better quality gloves. They were much better. However, there is a bit of mucking around getting them on and off with the wiring and they still are not toasty warm at 10-15F with a 70mph windchill. So I got some Hippo Hands.

The Hippo Hands are excellent. I can wear light gloves, turn the heated grips on low, and ride all day with toasty warm hands. With even slightly thicker gloves I don't need the heated grips. I have not had a problem with them blowing back onto the controls, but if I did then I would have bolted a length of aluminium onto the bar ends to keep them forward. The only downside of the Hippo Hands is that they are ugly. However, the beauty of warmth overrides the lack of beauteous looks.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #81 on: April 07, 2013, 12:12:45 am
Took about an hour's ride today - first of the season!!!  35 deg F and very windy, but sunny.  The Olympia 4150's felt fantastic - fingers long enough not to bind my fingertips, and my hands didn't get more than noticeably, but not uncomfortably, cool.

Happy for now!  8)  (but still like those Gerbings...)