Author Topic: Duckbill  (Read 4138 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
on: November 29, 2012, 07:57:46 pm
Anyone who has attached a duckbill breather to your iron barrel, could you please post pics?

Since the breather hose is too small to fit over the crankcase output, I have a small piece of larger diameter hose bridging the two, but I can't seem to get that air tight.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:20:20 pm
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:19:35 pm
Nice highway pegs.  How is your breather hose attached?  I can't quite tell in the pic.  Almost looks like it's stretched over the output, in which case you must have shaved some metal off or something, no?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:23:31 am
That duckbill was made to fit over the nipple on the side of the crank. The metal bracket with the rubber grommet that holds the duckbill is stock also. That's the stock breather setup Enfield used for ever.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/performance/duckbill-breather-hose.html

I don't know why it says it's for kick only bikes. I've put em on ES bikes at least up to 04 when they put most of the breathers on top of the oil tank.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:01:08 am
That's the one I bought.  There's no way it would fit over the nipple.  The OD of the duckbill hose is smaller than the OD of the nipple!

The description has a note that seems true to the ES, in my case: "Can be adapted to the electric start bikes with a small piece of slightly larger diameter hose."

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 11:09:04 am
That's the one I bought.  There's no way it would fit over the nipple.  The OD of the duckbill hose is smaller than the OD of the nipple!

The description has a note that seems true to the ES, in my case: "Can be adapted to the electric start bikes with a small piece of slightly larger diameter hose."

Keep an eye on that breather system with the duckbill after you put it on.
The late model bikes with the breather off the oil tank don't breathe well, because the breather was never supposed to be moved to that location. It was some form of "pollution control update" that never worked well.  The breather should be on the side of the crankcase, as shown in t120bullet's photo. We always retrofit that breather on all performance bikes because that's the type that really works.

That being said, what you want to do in the meantime with your 2008 is to run a piece of hose that fits that nipple in the top of the oil tank, and run it straight up to the area under the seat, and THEN make your turn of the hose to wherever you want the outlet. That acts as a "stand-pipe" for the breather, so that any liquid oil being spewed out will probably not make it up that high, and run back down into the oil tank.
You can put the duckbill on the end of that hose, wherever you want to lead it. I lead it along the fender brace to the tail of the bike, and terminate it with a duckbill near the license plate. Others run it to the chain area as a "chain luber", but I'm not really a fan of that.
Anyway you can run it where you want. The "stand pipe" routing is important because the newer oil tank breathers tend to eject oil in fairly significant burps, and that's why there are all the complaints about oil-soaked air filters, etc.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:17:48 pm
I ran my G5 breather hose up and back to the rear and ended it about at the rear seat mount. I thought about sticking the duckbill in it, but it's never blown any oil up there, so  I left it off. Works great. Just like the old Triumphs.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:30:21 pm
Tom, mine is a 2003.  I'll upload a pic in a couple hours.

Bare, the catch can would collect quite a bit of oil on my bike, so it definitely needs an outlet for it.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 07:49:45 pm
Tom, mine is a 2003.  I'll upload a pic in a couple hours.

Bare, the catch can would collect quite a bit of oil on my bike, so it definitely needs an outlet for it.

The UCE is a completely different arrangement with a wet sump and an integrated transmission with larger internal crankcase volume.
The Bullet has specific requirements with the small volume dry sump.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:53:11 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:47:43 pm
The UCE also has a chamber designed into the breather system which buffers the pressure surges giving the air/oil vapor a chance to separate inside the transmission area.

I think the UCE must be overfilled WAY over max before it will start blowing oil out.
In 8000 miles of riding, a lot of it at 50-70 mph there has never been more than a very light. almost non-existant film of oil that collected adjacent to the vent inside my air cleaner box.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 12:24:51 am
Here's mine.  It has a constant fake whisper sound (pss pss pss pss) since I can't get it air tight.  I can't clamp the hose to the hose because it'll just compress them both.  And the duckbill hose is not loose in the larger hose.  It takes some effort to get it in there.  So just curious to see what others have done with an ES iron barrel like mine.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 01:47:09 am
I don't see what the problem is. Maybe the paint is slightly thick around the nipple. You can take some sand paper or a file and shape that nipple a bit so the breather hose slips over a little easier. You do want a slightly tight fit. If you do file or sand plug the breather hole with something to keep any shavings or dust out of the breather nipple. What year is your bike? Is it an '03/'04? Where is it from? That doesn't look like a VIN # on the engine.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 02:29:57 am
  I can't clamp the hose to the hose because it'll just compress them both.

I had the same problem and I solved it by going to the hardware store and buying a plastic tube that is used to join/mend a garden hose. Just clamp the tubes to either end of it and off you go! My crankcase breather is above the oil tank.

In 12,000klm of riding, it works just fine.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 12:35:16 am
My 03' has the stock breather tank and internal duckbill arrangement which has worked perfectly for the last 4-5 yrs. The previous owner replaced the original engine to vapour separator with some fuel rated hose,work's great.
Robert.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 04:58:39 pm
I'm pretty sure I used 5/16 or 3/8 ID fuel line to slip over that when I re-did mine. Then a barb connector can be used to connect the duckbill where ever you please.
                  - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill