Author Topic: Duckbill  (Read 4139 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 09:00:27 pm
I don't see what the problem is. Maybe the paint is slightly thick around the nipple. You can take some sand paper or a file and shape that nipple a bit so the breather hose slips over a little easier. You do want a slightly tight fit. If you do file or sand plug the breather hole with something to keep any shavings or dust out of the breather nipple. What year is your bike? Is it an '03/'04? Where is it from? That doesn't look like a VIN # on the engine.

Mine is an '03, Indian market model.  The nipple doesn't have excess paint, but it does have a weird set of barbs on it, which may be adding to the problem.  I'll try a new clamp and if that doesn't work, try one of the hose connectors others have mentioned.

elmagnifico

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 03:48:53 am
i also have an 03 but i was able to cajole the duck bill directly on there. it worked great for about 2 years and then it decided it wanted to eject the all the oil out. if it has oil it will push it out onto the chain. I've recently rerouted everything but I'm not 100% sure it will work like i have it now. the duck bill also made this truly annoying squeaking sound that i don't miss.
2003 bullet deluxe

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 04:43:01 am
Mine is an '03, Indian market model.  The nipple doesn't have excess paint, but it does have a weird set of barbs on it, which may be adding to the problem.  I'll try a new clamp and if that doesn't work, try one of the hose connectors others have mentioned.

By the look of your pic, the nipple never had the casting flash on the nipple buzzed off. This may be a detail on non-export models that is not addressed. The breather nipple on my US model was dressed smooth from the factory. So I would suggest filing off the flash so your duckbill slips on.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 07:20:30 am
Ah, okay.  I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like that or just sloppy finishing work.  I'll get out the old dremel, grind it down, and try to get a good seal on it.

Update: I got a better seal on the smaller-to-larger hose connection, filed down the flash, and put on a better clamp.  That did the trick!  I'd still like a better connection rather than just shoving a smaller hose into a larger one, but I have other things to deal with...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:03:40 pm by LarsBloodbeard »