Author Topic: Crankshaft Position Sensor, Kevin Help !  (Read 10436 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 06:01:28 am
You can use the Power Commander device which is an onboard device that essentially tricks the ECU into a new map by giving it erroneous device readings. The trouble is that you have to develop your own map which is not for the faint of heart. I toyed with selling them, but they were too much trouble for the average consumer
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:35:18 pm
It is a pity that they can't be hooked up to a computer so that something like TuneECU (or TuneBoy) could be used. I use it regularly with my Triumph and consider it an essential tool for diagnostics, tuning, and repairs. They seem to have cracked the Kehin Kode.  ::)
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:02 pm
Power Commander does make a 'learning module', someone posted about it here a while ago.  You plug it in and ride around and it takes readings and bulds your new map as you ride.  Once it's filled in you just disconnect it an enjoy the custom made map.  It was pretty pricey though.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 10:05:17 pm
I'm just quietly standing over in the corner, working with various people to see what I can come up with regarding this ECU thing.
I'm not a computer geek, but I know how to find resources and apply them to things that I need to get done.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 08:32:11 am
In this day and age I am sure someone can crack this thing. We have tried a couple of people and the Brits have done same. The UK guy needed to start with the factory DOL and smoked it for $2,500 so that experiment ended. We have not put too much energy into it because it brings up all sorts of EPA type questions that we do not want to be part of.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 12:02:40 pm
If it's a Classic, and can be run on a carb setup,
I do not see why we should have the ECU
in the first place  ;)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 05:17:36 pm
...............it brings up all sorts of EPA type questions that we do not want to be part of.

Nor should you be.   We shouldn't want to jeopardize the import of these fine machines.

Having said that;  it sure would be nice to have a source of technical information that can fully document the algorithms (maps) provided in the factory controller.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 06:28:57 pm
Yup.  That's more of an aftermarket, sold for "race only" thing.  Not good for the importer to be too close to it I imagine.

Scott

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:11:17 am
I know just enough to be dangerous...that said I had Power Commander a module on my last  Harley. I hooked the whole mess up to my lap top while the module was on the bike an tuned the electronics for more HP and also richened the fuel mixture. That with a Stage I kit and some other simple mods made for a pretty hot, pretty much stock 88ci Twin Cam FLHRCI.

Not sure if this is germane to this discussion, so take it in the spirit that it is given.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35:34 am
I think you would have to rig up an AVL ignition to use a carburetor or be pretty good with a wiring diagram and cutting and splicing. Yes the Power Commander comment is germane to the conversation
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com