Author Topic: Just bought new 2011 Bullet  (Read 2366 times)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 29, 2012, 03:52:59 am
Hello all. I just bought a new 2011 B5 Bullet. I will be picking it up on Saturday. Other than a Sportster and a '66 Bonneville, this will be my first non Japanese motorcycle. I have owned (and worked on, and pushed) a Genuine Stella for several years, so I kind of have an idea of what I am getting into. I am an auto mechanic by trade, but have always wrenched on my own bikes. My first questions are, what is the best way to break it in, and what weight oil should I use in it. I'm in Phoenix, AZ, and it is pretty warm here. I use 20w50 in my other bikes. One other thing. I understand the older Bullets were easy to work on and get parts for (I completely rebuilt the Sportster and Bonneville, and replaced the top end on the Stella) Is this still true for the newer UCE models? Thanks. Jerry.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 04:39:31 am
Welcome the proud fraternity of B5 owners!

You'll find the B5 is a little unique.  The frame is based on the old Iron Barrel bullets, so fit and finish parts are easier to come by.  I've discovered that when it comes to mechanics, sometimes my B5 is a G5, and sometimes it's a C5 .  Part of the charm...

These bikes are generally pretty easy to work on.  The forum has a wealth of info on modification, maintenance, and repair. 

If you're a mechanic by trade, you'll have no problem with your new bike.  The only experience I've ever had on engines is fixing my Mustang 5.0 back in the early 90's, and while that was probably enough to earn me a PhD in mechanics, I hadn't done anything since.  With the help of this forum, I've taken apart parts of the engine, made modifications to the bike, done every bit of maintenance required, and troubleshooted it when I've had glitches.

To answer your questions:

1) In general most advocate for a gentle break in of the UCE.  Keep the speed under 35-40 mph for the first 300 miles.  After that, change the oil, oil filter, and clean out the oil screen.  You can run it a little faster once you've done your first oil change, but still keep it under 50 mph for a few hundred more miles. 

2) I live in San Antonio and use Motul 20w50 full synthetic.  It's done me well.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:57:25 am
Hi Jerry
The best way to break it in is to follow the rules for engines designed in the 1950's.
Run it slow and easy, varying the speed and avoid lugging it.
These are low speed, long stroke engines with a lot of torque so really there is no need to run them fast, especially during break in.
Some say the speed limits in the book (40 mph max) during the first 300 miles is a bit too cautious and my dealer told me that using 45 mph for brief periods would be okay.  That kept the cages from trying to run over me more than once.

The transmission is a 'long stroke' too.  That is, shift with long deliberate strokes on the shift lever.  Japanese flicking of the lever will usually result in a neutral between the gears.

The book recommends using a 15-50 weight JASO MA semi-synthetic but I used Mobil 1, V-Twin 20-50 synthetic with good results.  The important thing to remember is these bikes use a wet clutch with the engine oil lubing them so use a good grade of motorcycle oil with the JASO rating.
I also live in Phoenix and have ridden my G5 in 112 degree temps without a problem using the Mobil-1.

You'll probably be disappointed in the amount of work these UCE bikes need.
Changing oil and filter, blowing the dust out of the air cleaner (it breaths from the inside out) and looking at the spark plug and drive chain is about all that's needed.
Oh.  And changing a few of the Indian made light bulbs that seem to burn out fairly easily, but to answer your question, they are very easy to work on if you have a complete set of Metric wrenches.

If your bike comes with the ribbed tread AVON front tire, try running it at about 18-20 psi.
These tires have very stiff sidewalls and seem to work best with the low pressures that were used on all of the middle weight English bikes in the '50's.

It's also a good idea to check under the side covers and other places where electrical wiring exists.
The Indian method of protecting wires is to wrap the harness with a layer of black electrical tape.  There are several places where these "protected" wires can rub on sharp metal parts (like the side covers, no plastic crap here!).  I slit some lengths of vinyl tubing to put the wires in and I think it has saved me a lot of grief over the past 18 months of riding.

Speaking of riding, forget I-10.  Even after the bike is broken in, 80 mph is tops, so the cages and 18 wheelers rolling at 85 mph can be hazardous to your health.  It does run great at 60-65 so trips up to Payson (and North) on the Bee Line and other slower highways are great fun.

If you have any questions at all, be sure to ask.  There's a lot of good guys and gals here with a lot of knowledge about all of the models of Royal Enfields.
(Also, Kevin Mahoney, the man that owns the importing company that brings us these great bikes owns this site.  He often is here reading (and contributing to) our posts.
How many other products do you know where you are talking to the Top Poo Baugh?)  :D

Oh!  I forgot.  Check your new bikes nuts and bolts often.
Because the bikes do vibrate like the big singles that they are it is pretty common for the nuts and bolts to work loose.
All owners of Royal Enfields find that blue Loc-Tite is our friend. :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:07:19 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:31 am
Gee thanks. I guess that about covers it to begin with. I hadn't planned on riding it on I-10, but I have ridden a 150cc scooter and a 200cc dual sport bike from Phoenix to San Diego and back at an indicated 50 mph on I-8. Not much traffic on that road. I also like the circle from Mesa to Payson to Show Low, through the Salt River Canyon, through Globe/Miami, Superior, Florence Junction, Apache Junction, Queen Creek, and back to Mesa. I stop everywhere there is a fast food place to take a break and give the bike a break. I have ridden the Stella over this route a few times.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:53:06 am
Fuel tank mounting bolts, Loc-Tite.
Sidestand switch. Umm... Unplug. (shhh)
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:46:27 pm
The book's breakin speed of 40mph in top gear is a bit low. The engine is lugging at that speed. My breakin was at 45-50 in the early days then crept up to 55 after 300 miles, then just keep easing it up to 65 up to about 600 miles. Mainly I tried not to exceed half throttle until then. There is plenty of power available there to stay with traffic. My bike now has nearly 15,000 miles on it and uses less than a half pint of oil in 3500 miles.  It sees a lot of freeway use at 65-70 mph and has averaged 70 mpg over its life.
They are great machines. Mine has definitely gotten within the top 5 of my all time favorites I've owned, about 50 bikes from a 250 Matchless to a Yamaha ThunderAce.
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 06:48:15 pm
Welcome to the Royal Enfield family especially the B5 clan. You will stand out in a herd of v-twins, people will say man that a cool looking bike how old is it? you should tell them the truth , its a 2011 ,but it's been made the same way since the late fifties /early sixties updated engine & brakes. I say this through experience , and for some reason guys that have their bikes all tricked out (chrome, loud pipes etc.) tend to get upset  when people come up to you and say that's a cool looking bike and they're talking about your B5 , not their v-twins. So be warned you will be noticed & asked about your bike. And agin welcome to the R E life.   
Dan

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 09:06:59 am

They are great machines. Mine has definitely gotten within the top 5 of my all time favorites I've owned, about 50 bikes from a 250 Matchless to a Yamaha ThunderAce.
Bare
Bare

Another one down bitten by the "BULLET BUG" ;)