Author Topic: Strange noises  (Read 9422 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 09:52:48 am
It wouldn't surprise me if it were a rod knock.
I can't listen to the file.

However, after hearing that your bike is somehow a Indian home market bike, and is here in the US, that explains everything.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 04:03:15 pm
That's what I believe it sounds like, but I don't have much experience with these little thumpers.  Try listening to it here: http://youtu.be/rXIzCynmCRM

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 04:18:12 pm
I think it sounds like your muffler baffle has a broken weld or crack. Maybe remove the muffler and shake it. If nothing rattles in the muffler then try running the bike with it off and see if the rattle is still there. Well I listened to your recording again. You might want to retard the timing slightly and see if the rattle goes away. I would still check the muffler though. Also make sure your tank is full of fuel. An almost empty gas tank can produce some funky harmonics that can drive you crazy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:54:56 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 06:04:09 pm
The two of them sounded about the same to me, but I really wouldn't want to guess what it is. Put a hemostat to it and see if you can get the source of the noise located. Even a long screwdriver held to your ear with the blade touching various parts of the crankcase can be a help.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 08:31:48 pm
I just had the muffler off a week ago and it was fine.  I'll check it again though.

I've tweaked the timing both directions and it just makes it run poorly.  I don't think it affected that knock.

Fuel tank is nearly full.

It doesn't knock like that unless under at least a little load so I can't really narrow down the exact spot.  Perhaps I could enlist the help of a friend to hold the brake and give it a little throttle in gear...

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 03:35:48 am
I just had the muffler off a week ago and it was fine.  I'll check it again though.

I've tweaked the timing both directions and it just makes it run poorly.  I don't think it affected that knock.

Fuel tank is nearly full.

It doesn't knock like that unless under at least a little load so I can't really narrow down the exact spot.  Perhaps I could enlist the help of a friend to hold the brake and give it a little throttle in gear...

I wonder if your points plate is hanging up your mechanical advance. That is something that numerous Bullet owners have mentioned having a problem with. Just take off your points cover and then turn your points cam shaft and check to see if it hangs up on the advance. If so you may have to file something on the back of the plate.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 06:20:17 am
I wonder if your points plate is hanging up your mechanical advance.

Doesn't seem to be an issue.
http://youtu.be/eVNW2nzyW_c
And I took it off to look for signs of rubbing on the back of the plate.
http://youtu.be/slqEuLGSTtE

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 12:47:07 pm
That's what I believe it sounds like, but I don't have much experience with these little thumpers.  Try listening to it here: http://youtu.be/rXIzCynmCRM

Well, my noise and your noise sure aren't the same...

Mine's much quieter and more rapid.  Yours, alas, is slightly more alarming!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 04:33:33 pm
Well, it comes and goes sort of randomly.
Have you checked your primary chain tension, or inspected all the stuff in your primary chaincase?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:17 pm
Well, my noise and your noise sure aren't the same...

Mine's much quieter and more rapid.  Yours, alas, is slightly more alarming!

That wasn't the noise we share in common.  That higher pitch rattle only reared it's head for a brief moment in that sound clip and you can barely hear it.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 07:05:57 pm
Well, it comes and goes sort of randomly.
Have you checked your primary chain tension, or inspected all the stuff in your primary chaincase?

The knock comes in around a certain RPM range, and only when driving.  I added some Lucas oil gunk, and that quieted it somewhat.  I really think it's a crank or rod bearing.  Especially with the way it shakes... http://youtu.be/tymO9emz4WE

I tore apart the primary, cleaned it out, and replaced the alternator at the same time I replaced the cylinder and piston (~200 miles ago).  I guess I'll check it anyways.  Maybe I'll pull off the alternator and drive it down the street to see if that makes a difference.

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 10:35:52 pm
My stupid rattling noise ended up being a lose tank bolt.  Metalic vibration noises at the top end of the gears right before shifting.  DUMB ME.  Spent a week trying to figure that crap out.  Live and learn.
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:40 pm
My stupid rattling noise ended up being a lose tank bolt.  Metalic vibration noises at the top end of the gears right before shifting.  DUMB ME.  Spent a week trying to figure that crap out.  Live and learn.

I've had a few of those....

Loud rattle at high rpm's: head stay was loose.
Ringing noise at certain rpm's: shock shroud too close to frame.
Intermittent clunking noise: center stand rattling against frame.
Shallow rattle that comes and goes: front brake linkage too loose.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:56 pm
Update:

I took it down to the Brit bike dealer in San Bernardino (Doug Douglas).  They sell RE's but don't have experience with the earlier models like mine.  After a bit of gearhead talk about the old girl, the mechanics gave it a listen and said it's definitely engine noise, probably a rod bearing.  But they also said it's not that bad yet and I could probably keep riding it a bit longer before splitting the case.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 04:07:25 am
suit yourself but you're just asking for more scrap metal to clean
out of the oil channels and risking a lot more damage to the cylinder...
   old school thinking is knock on acceleration is crank bearings;
        knock on deceleration is rod bearing....
     have you pulled either of the rocker covers or oil filter
looking for small bits of white metal?
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill